Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

MARCH 18-20:

1. "The Batman" - 38.3 / 301.6

2. “Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie” - 12.9

3. "Uncharted" - 7.7 / 125.6

4. "Dog" - 4.4 / 54.5

5. "Spider Man: NWH" - 3.8 / 798.2

6. "X" - 3.7

7. "Death On the Nile" - 1.9 / 43.8

8. "Sing 2" - 1.4 / 158.4

9. "The Godfather" - 1.3 / 2.5

10. “The Outfit” - 1.2

11. "Umma" - 0.9

12. "Jackass Forever" - 0.7 / 57.5

13. "Scream" - 0.3 / 81.5

14. "Cyrano" - 0.3 / 3.8

15. "The Worst Person in the World" - 0.2 / 2.9

16. “Licorice Pizza” - 0.2 / 17.0

17. “Marry Me” - 0.2 / 22.4

18. "Belfast" - 0.1 / 9.0

Edited by ViktorLosAngeles

That preview number for X is indeed a bit below my expectations (and tracking :blush:).

But I like the number of Jujutsu Kaisen :).

PS: As always out of likes, will continue later...

Edited by el sid

2 hours ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

MARCH 18-20:

1. "The Batman" - 44.3 / 307.6

2. “Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie” - 12.9

3. "Uncharted" - 7.7 / 125.6

4. "Dog" - 4.4 / 54.6

5. "Spider Man: NWH" - 3.6 / 797.9

6. "X" - 3.5

7. "Death On the Nile" - 1.9 / 43.8

8. "Sing 2" - 1.4 / 158.4

9. “The Outfit” - 1.2

10. "Umma" - 0.9

11. "Jackass Forever" - 0.7 / 57.5

12. "Scream" - 0.3 / 81.5

13. "Cyrano" - 0.3 / 3.8

14. "The Worst Person in the World" - 0.2 / 2.9

15. “Marry Me” - 0.2 / 22.4

16. “Licorice Pizza” - 0.2 / 17.0

Batman won't make $44M...

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

So about $4m or so potentially. I was hoping for a bit more. 

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

Was hoping for more for X especially since the A24 "fanbase" probably showed up early. 

7 minutes ago, el sid said:

That preview number for X is indeed a bit below my expectations (and tracking).

But I like the number of Jujutsu Kaisen :).

Don't overvalue previews too much on something like this. Antlers grossed $370K on previews and ended up over $4.2M for the weekend. If X has the same ratio, it hits $5M. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Non-anime fan here: is there a reason why Jujutsu is set to open so high? Is the anime series a big deal? Is it integral to the story like Demon Slayer was? It's just odd to me that it'll open more than the new My Hero movie when that seems like the bigger deal and feels like a show that has crossovered into the mainstream pop culture.

Anime-Fan perspective:

Jujutsu Kaisen ist one of the biggest shows of the last few years. It dominated Shonen discussion right beside Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia and overall, the first season was just extremely well-received with many people wanting to see more of the story as soon as possible. The movie beeing a prequel that features beloved characters from the show just seems like something many fans would want to see in the waiting period for Season 2.

I personally like Jujutsu Kaisen. Its not one of my favourites, but its the right amount of well-animated action, humour, dark themes and character drama that defines good Shonen anime. Its kind of a better version of Bleach in my opinion, atleast so far in the story.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Anime-Fan perspective:

Jujutsu Kaisen ist one of the biggest shows of the last few years. It dominated Shonen discussion right beside Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia and overall, the first season was just extremely well-received with many people wanting to see more of the story as soon as possible. The movie beeing a prequel that features beloved characters from the show just seems like something many fans would want to see in the waiting period for Season 2.

I personally like Jujutsu Kaisen. Its not one of my favourites, but its the right amount of well-animated action, humour, dark themes and character drama that defines good Shonen anime. Its kind of a better version of Bleach in my opinion, atleast so far in the story.

Dang, if it’s not only a good comparison to Bleach but better than Bleach, I better start watching! I’m a huge fan of Bleach.

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Meanwhile I’m over here just waiting for the next Dragon Ball movie.

The next one is releasing in Japan this April so if it follows a similar trajectory of the time window between the Japanese release and American release to Dragon Ball Super: Broly, America is likely getting it sometime this Summer!

Edited by SLAM!

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Dang, if it’s not only a good comparison to Bleach but better than Bleach, I better start watching! I’m a huge fan of Bleach.

Of course its not an entirely fair comparison since Bleach has 400+ episodes and JJK stands at 24 😅 but the darker themes and especially the atmosphere are really reminiscent of Bleach in my opinion.

Also, this god damn outro (It has no spoilers):

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Any word on Umma? This feels like the first weekend we’ve had 2 horror movies open in awhile. One is PG-13 while the other is R.

Just got back from X and it was fu**ing wild. I think you’ll love it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, el sid said:

That preview number for X is indeed a bit below my expectations (and tracking :blush:).

The Green Knight preview came in much lower than expectations too tbf, the A24 films do behave a bit differently. I personally had been operating at about a 500k Thurs off the numbers in the tracking thread. 

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I won't read much into JJK as anime popularity in general. This and Demon Slayer are also the two biggest openers ever in Japan by a margin, so they are just higher in popularity than other anime I suppose.

Yeah, I’m not sure how tight the relation between Japan and US popularity is but very clearly in Japan right now nothing else is close to either of them.   

Well, One Piece maybe if they made a canon movie (Wano climax/roof piece) instead of 0 need-to-see factor noncanon trash.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 1