Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

Non-anime fan here: is there a reason why Jujutsu is set to open so high? Is the anime series a big deal? Is it integral to the story like Demon Slayer was? It's just odd to me that it'll open more than the new My Hero movie when that seems like the bigger deal and feels like a show that has crossovered into the mainstream pop culture.

22 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Non-anime fan here: is there a reason why Jujutsu is set to open so high? Is the anime series a big deal? Is it integral to the story like Demon Slayer was? It's just odd to me that it'll open more than the new My Hero movie when that seems like the bigger deal and feels like a show that has crossovered into the mainstream pop culture.

It's a very important prequel, unlike the MHA movie it's not a non-cannon one off

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

happy Friday everyone!! 

Looking forward tot his, but it'll no doubt drop from the first one. That's the thing with these requels; their follow-ups just don't have the staying power of the first. Expecting 25/60.

1 hour ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I think the reason is because there’s a “must-see” factor to the film. The story content that this movie has is canon to the anime series (since it’s a prequel taking place before the period where the series begins), and the My Hero films typically haven’t been canon, so there’s less urgency from anime fans to see it. The factor of the story being canon is what propelled the Demon Slayer film to break records last year as well. So yes, for many fans it’s an integral part of the series.

Jujutsu Kaisen isn’t the biggest anime thing, but it really has been having an impact; it won the Crunchyroll anime award for Anime of the Year for 2020 series, so a lot of the anime audience has been paying attention to it. In terms of how it affects Shonen Jump, I’d say if My Hero is like Naruto, then Jujutsu Kaisen is like Bleach.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Looking forward tot his, but it'll no doubt drop from the first one. That's the thing with these requels; their follow-ups just don't have the staying power of the first. Expecting 25/60.

That wouldn’t be too bad of a drop. Scream 6 won’t (or hopefully won’t) have omicron/a version of to deal with either. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Did demon slayer kick off a new wave of appreciation toward anime genre?  

Rambling a bit, I think it’s less of getting people to appreciate anime films (cuz we know hardcore fans already do), and more about dragging the ones who appreciate it into the theaters. This strategy of making canon films (which in the cases of Infinity Train and 0, and a Made in Abyss film, they do it when a certain story arc makes the most sense as a two-hour movie rather than broken up) has been something that encourages them to go in droves—but in a post-COVID era where there’s not many other theatrical releases to take attention away from a release like Jujutsu Kaisen 0.

There may also be something to be said about how Sony has purchased both Crunchyroll and Funimation. I think there’s been some interplay between the companies in terms of crafting the perfect marketing strategies for these films. Not that the films need extensive marketing because for the folks who are into anime and manga, these canon films are essentially marketing themselves. Funimation knows they have an audience now, and the theaters do as well. So in a time where theaters are struggling to get new films to begin with, these anime films are emerging at just the right time!

• Like 1