Eric Lasagna

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

Insane how vitriolic this is over a differing opinion. You’d think I said it was a guaranteed bomb thanks to it and not just, in MY opinion, not great. No one has to agree with me but the pages upon pages now mocking me instead of even really discussing my point is reminding me to just never post on here unless it’s “cool numbers”.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Insane how vitriolic this is over a differing opinion. You’d think I said it was a guaranteed bomb thanks to it and not just, in MY opinion, not great. No one has to agree with me but the pages upon pages now mocking me instead of even really discussing my point is reminding me to just never post on here unless it’s “cool numbers”.

And the pages mocking you are here with us in the room?

Unless i skipped some post, everyone is simply disagreeing, saying why they’re think you’re wrong. 

I mean, it’s a discussion, this is quite literally why the forum exists. Nobody personally attacked you or made shame of you over this, to be very honest it feels like you’re the one being a bit vitriolic over most people not agreeing with you.

just my opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

I do think this is going to have some extra push from Minus One, minimal but maybe it will save it from being a total disaster.

With that being said, I think this should be the last "Marvel" godzilla movie, we need another approach, a different concept.

Maybe godzilla vs alien invasion without being too goofy like the recent two movies.

But yes, I expect this to disappoint in terms of quality and BO. At best I can see this  having a "Ok" reception and making 500M ww 

Why wouldn’t it do well at the box office? It’s coming out on a holiday weekend, no competition even from Ghostbusters (the last one made only $200m WW)

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Feel like late March is odd move. The post Easter spot seemed better for both the movie and theaters. It now has to share attention with Dune 2, KFP4 and Ghostbusters (though granted think low to mid 100s is where KFP/GB/GxK are heading), so odd move. It's like no one learned last March.

How is 3 movies packed? Last year had 5 movies in March. There is like a month long distance between Dune 2 and GxK anyways

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

I'm not mocking your opinion, I just don't see how two weeks will make that gargantuan of a difference. I think this movie isn't going to do that well anyway for personal reasons.

While this is a completely anecdotal example, there are people out there who've seen the trailer and still think it's "Godzilla vs. Kong Part II." I know this because I've talked to four people with this thought process. I would be more worried about casual moviegoer confusion than those two weeks that it lost.

10 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Weren't you just refusing to answer someone's question about why Godzilla turns pink in the movie for spoiler reasons? 🤣

Either way, I hope this film does well. All I can do is buy a ticket and hope WB doesn't decide to shift its release date a third (fourth?) time so I can actually try to get the day off.

This isn't a spoiler because the monster in question isn't in the movie anymore. I've not revealed anything about the plot.

1 hour ago, NoobSaibot said:

I'm not mocking your opinion, I just don't see how two weeks will make that gargantuan of a difference. I think this movie isn't going to do that well anyway for personal reasons.

While this is a completely anecdotal example, there are people out there who've seen the trailer and still think it's "Godzilla vs. Kong Part II." I know this because I've talked to four people with this thought process. I would be more worried about casual moviegoer confusion than those two weeks that it lost.

Looking at the lack of competition, the holiday weekend release and the fact alone that the MonsterVerse makes big overseas money how on earth can you come to the conclusion it’ll flop? I think it’ll be the first big Hollywood tent pole that opens internationally this year.

• Like 1

Two weeks will not make a difference one way or the other to how well this film does.

And the idea the :"Godzilla Minus One" will have a impact on the film's box office ie just plain silly.

23 hours ago, ChiefBrody said:

Looking at the lack of competition, the holiday weekend release and the fact alone that the MonsterVerse makes big overseas money how on earth can you come to the conclusion it’ll flop? I think it’ll be the first big Hollywood tent pole that opens internationally this year.

"Flop" might be being misused in my case, but even with a wide open April, I have difficulty seeing people getting as excited or as invested in this film as they were with GvK. These films also appear to have a ceiling. Kong: Skull Island made the most money in the MV thus far ($568.6 million WW); that was seven years ago and it was the second film. The only film to make $200 million domestic was Godzilla 2014; that was ten years ago. KotM did flop despite how people want to spin it, and while GvK made more than the former, a lot of people had the ability to watch it in their own homes instead of paying money for a ticket.

There are people on this board who've predicted that this can easily make $700 million. I believe that there is a greater chance of it doing less than Kong: Skull Island internationally and Godzilla 2014 domestically. If it doesn't flop, there's a possibility of it underperforming. My pessimism might be early, but it is not entirely unwarranted.

Edited by NoobSaibot

50 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

"Flop" might be being misused in my case, but even with a wide open April, I have difficulty seeing people getting as excited or as invested in this film as they were with GvK. These films also appear to have a ceiling. Kong: Skull Island made the most money in the MV thus far ($568.6 million WW); that was seven years ago and it was the second film. The only film to make $200 million domestic was Godzilla 2014; that was ten years ago. KotM did flop despite how people want to spin it, and while GvK made more than the former, a lot of people had the ability to watch it in their own homes instead of paying money for a ticket.

There are people on this board who've predicted that this can easily make $700 million. I believe that there is a greater chance of it doing less than Kong: Skull Island internationally and Godzilla 2014 domestically. If it doesn't flop, there's a possibility of it underperforming. My pessimism might be early, but it is not entirely unwarranted.

I woundt call your assessment pessimistic, its more on the realism side imo. For me, anything above 500M WW would be a HUGE success for this movie, hell, all i hope for is that its profitable so the MonsterVerse can continue. Im personally slightly optimistic for its DOM prospects, right now id predict 200-230M for it, but it all hinges on the reception of the film and if GvK's popularity can get additional butts in seats or not.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I woundt call your assessment pessimistic, its more on the realism side imo. For me, anything above 500M WW would be a HUGE success for this movie, hell, all i hope for is that its profitable so the MonsterVerse can continue. Im personally slightly optimistic for its DOM prospects, right now id predict 200-230M for it, but it all hinges on the reception of the film and if GvK's popularity can get additional butts in seats or not.

I'm a bit more conservative on my domestic prediction (165-190M) it could do more or less depending on word of mouth but 4 weeks of IMAX & PLF exclusivity is bound to help its legs in April. 

I'm actually mostly optimistic for its international gross. I think it's a very realistic prospect that this movie does over 400M overseas seeing how it has Chinese and Japan markets to help it. As well as the 3rd act taking place in Rio De Janero in Brazil so that appeal might boost it in Latin markets. The main question is Europe and South Korea. Will they get on board?

Worldwide I have full faith its gonna make over 500M seeing how even amidst a giant pandemic GvK managed to get close to that. Without the pandemic and similar amounts of hype as before I believe GvK would've done 800M-1B worldwide. I don't think GxK is making nearly that much, but in the worst case scenario I don't see it going below 450M worldwide, my normal case scenario is that it's making 500-550M. And good scenario it makes 550-650M and best case is anything above 700M which is doubtful. Right now I my goal is over 600M but I'd be happy with anything in the 500M range worldwide.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:16 AM, ThomasNicole said:

And the pages mocking you are here with us in the room?

Unless i skipped some post, everyone is simply disagreeing, saying why they’re think you’re wrong. 

I mean, it’s a discussion, this is quite literally why the forum exists. Nobody personally attacked you or made shame of you over this, to be very honest it feels like you’re the one being a bit vitriolic over most people not agreeing with you.

just my opinion

I think a lot of people here are used to fan pages, where any negative comments about a movie or franchise are simply not allowed, and are shocked to find out that not everybody loves the things they love. I have seen some fanboys accuse anybody who is not a huge supporter of a film or franchsie to be a "Hater" or a "Troll".

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 1:04 AM, grim22 said:

Godzilla is a walking nuclear bomb and is also pink now - he now goes by the name Barbenheimer.

He is everything

He's just kong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3