Eric the Minion

Cinemacon 2022 Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it weird that they refer to Downton Abbey as Focus' first franchise but I'm sure they were behind Fifty Shades of Grey which is very successful for them. 

TBH given how successful the first Downton was, I wonder why Universal didn't take full distribution.

Universal took over after the first one

Just now, Eric is a furry said:

"It also looks very funny"—I wouldn't doubt it.

While Chazelle's films are typical pretty serious, I think La La Land had some good moments of humor and because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if Babylon's humor succeeds. And if it's half as crazy as the test screening suggested, then humor is a great way to help wash the craziness down. Definitely sounds like this is landing in Wolf of Wall Street territory.
  • Like 2

Paramount didn't let the Transformers IP lie dormant long enough. Its still associated strongly with the Bay of it all. The Anthony Ramos casting was also likely done when everyone assumed that In The Heights would have made him a huge star. Bumblebee numbers likely best case scenario here I feel.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

"It also looks very funny"—I wouldn't doubt it.

While Chazelle's films are typical pretty serious, I think La La Land had some good moments of humor and because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if Babylon's humor succeeds. And if it's half as crazy as the test screening suggested, then humor is a great way to help wash the craziness down. Definitely sounds like this is landing in Wolf of Wall Street territory.

Whiplash was funny too, well JK Simonds was funny and terrifying. That said, I'm starting to mix up all those 1 word Oscar hopefuls. Babylon. Barbie. Amsterdam. All of them have Margot Robbie no? :lol:

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Paramount didn't let the Transformers IP lie dormant long enough. Its still associated strongly with the Bay of it all. The Anthony Ramos casting was also likely done when everyone assumed that In The Heights would have made him a huge star. Bumblebee numbers likely best case scenario here I feel.

It’s perhaps not too late for this to be the film that make Ramos more of a star, but I agree that the film has to rely on the property itself more than it can rely on any star power. The Bay originals at least had LaBeouf and Wahlberg to help, so this has a disadvantage.

Edited by SLAM!

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

I'm probably biased (love me some Transformers), but I'm not so sure of this. Hell, there's been a resurgence of nostalgia for the first Bay film recently. If it could hit just the right vibe, I think RotB could hit around $600-$700m (assuming it gets released in China).

• Like 1