Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

Just now, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

It can be great and still disappointing. Think 299 for Endgame.

If Endgame made 299 that would've still been mindblowing lol.

2 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

Impossible since Puerto Rico existed back in 2019.

Also, 299 would have been rightly seen as a mindblowlingly amazing number. I totally get what you mean but i think most would disagree that some arbitrary milestone like 300M or 200M is a bar for success. The difference between 195M and 200M is just 5M and it doesnt make a huge difference except in optics.

5 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

To expand on this a little —  

yes, obviously 190 is a big weekend. 11th biggest ever (nominal). Biggest 2022, 2nd biggest post-pandemic, would be 3rd biggest of 2019 (again, nominal). The movie has some crossover-y elements, but it is also a sequel to an 85M opener 232M grosser, seeing a BIG ole boost.   

On the other hand, that was all clear like a month ago. 190 would be coming in pretty much at the lowest quintile of plausible outcomes any time from the past 15 days or so. I think it’s pretty self evident why there is something to be disappointed in.   

Learn to keep multiple perspectives in mind at once.

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed
  • Like 4

This is an over 100 million OW increase from a previously 85 million film. Yes Doctor Strange showed up in Avengers movies but that didn't make Thor: The Dark World or Captain America: The Winter Soldier suddenly increase by that much. All this movie banked on was Wanda and the potential for some cameos. That's incredibly impressive no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know why people feel the need to argue on this subject tbh. Everyone has their own bars, some have higher expectations than others and not everyone will feel the same way on a particular OW. For me the OW, while obviously very big, is kinda disappointing because I think potential was higher with better reviews and reception. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

$190M is underperformance? Come on, Justin Lin would stay on F10 if they believe their movie have that number for lifetime. WB will announce a sequel if FB3 is close to that level. 

Edited by Gavin Feng

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hmm so if MoM is the AOU of this year, does that make Dominion the JW 🤔?

If only DS2 was released in all markets perhaps it could take the highest grossing disappointment throne, but instead I fear Ultron is fated to keep it for all time :jeb!:

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hmm so if MoM is the AOU of this year, does that make Dominion the JW 🤔?

To elaborate, like in 2015, a JW movie will be followed the following weekend with a Pixar movie.

Dominion and Lightyear could repeat the epic run JW and IO enjoyed together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

If only DS2 was released in all markets perhaps it could take the highest grossing disappointment throne, but instead I fear Ultron is fated to keep it for all time :jeb!:

Yeah i dont see any movie stripping that title away from Age Roughly 1 Week of Ultron.

Seen as the biggest movie WW and probably DOM of 2015.

First, beaten by FF7 internationally and worldwide.

Second, beaten by Jurassic World DOM, internationally and WW.

Third, beaten by TFA DOM, internationally and worlwide.