Eric Duncan

The First Omen | April 5, 2024 | 20th Century | A prequel to The Omen

Releasing on Easter weekend would’ve been more fun from a marketing perspective. But I get why they don’t want to face Godzilla and Kong.

I remember the buzz for the 2006 film well, opening on 6/6/06 was too good an opportunity to pass up. Would be surprised if this one made as much opening weekend as the 2006 film did on its opening Tuesday. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

Posters are cool and I saw commercials for this movie all weekend during the NCAA tournament.  But, it just feels like zero buzz for it like NightSwim and Imaginary. 

Reactions seems … pretty good? Including from you know, some actual critics in the bunch. Hard to know why the actual reviews embargo is so late, day of previews iirc, it really doesn’t seems like a rotten movie and could use some good reviews bump.

Not to get hyperbolic here, but I liked this as much as the original. Nell Tiger Free is stunning and the film isn't afraid to challenge the ratings board. Somewhat uneven at times, but pays off majorly. Really impressive directorial debut.

And there's a fucking Possession homage in it.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Wow, so this is pretty good huh? Still don't feel like there's enough buzz, and I'm more or less expecting a run similar to Flanagan's Ouija prequel. 

This and Monkey Man will be a pretty sweet double feature. 

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wow, so this is pretty good huh? Still don't feel like there's enough buzz, and I'm more or less expecting a run similar to Flanagan's Ouija prequel. 

This and Monkey Man will be a pretty sweet double feature. 

There’s been barely any promotion for it in the UK, I’ve not seen the trailer at all other than online and there’s no posters anywhere (even in my local cinema). Got to admit though, until these reactions I had zero hype for it even though I’m a fan of the original trilogy, I’d been writing it off as a pointless cash grab prequel (happy to potentially be wrong though!). If it’s genuinely good, they’ve dropped the ball on promo.

Interesting to see people claiming it challenges the ratings boards, it’s only a 15 in the UK.

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

There’s been barely any promotion for it in the UK, I’ve not seen the trailer at all other than online and there’s no posters anywhere (even in my local cinema). Got to admit though, until these reactions I had zero hype for it even though I’m a fan of the original trilogy, I’d been writing it off as a pointless cash grab prequel (happy to potentially be wrong though!). If it’s genuinely good, they’ve dropped the ball on promo.

Interesting to see people claiming it challenges the ratings boards, it’s only a 15 in the UK.

Yeh I seen a tweet and the creators suggested they battled with an NC17, but like you said it’s only a 15 here. Immaculate is an 18. 

I did get the trailer before Night Swim, Imaginary, Immaculate and Late Night With The Devil though. 

This sounds promising. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I seen a tweet and the creators suggested they battled with an NC17, but like you said it’s only a 15 here. Immaculate is an 18.

Having read the content synopsis, I can see why a certain scene might trigger the MPAA more than the BBFC, without going into spoilers I feel like the “fantasy” element of it will have helped it avoid a higher rating in the UK, as they’re generally more lenient on things if it’s not something that most people would believe could actually happen. It’s just funny that there’s such a wide gap between “we battled the censors to avoid NC17!” in the US while the UK is just like “yeah, sure, 15” 😂

• Like 1

This is a great interview but I'm mostly posting it as a warning that they get into that particular NC-17 scene later on in way more detail than I expected. Keep the surprise! I had no idea before I saw the movie and the shock value of it is really good. Even in a mostly empty theater you could feel everyone squirming.