Eric Duncan

The First Omen | April 5, 2024 | 20th Century | A prequel to The Omen

The original is one of my favorite movies. I just watched The Omen II and the 2006 remake for the first time this week. I can't wait for next weekend!

By the way, anybody know any plot spoilers for the film? Message me if you do, please....

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow

40 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

More great reactions from last night screening 

They really should drop reviews and try to boost the bad presales 

The same thing happened with Thanksgiving. I don't know why they don't drop the embargo early if the reviews are good.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

The same thing happened with Thanksgiving. I don't know why they don't drop the embargo early if the reviews are good.

Horror is very walk-up based (even the big juggernauts like the IT movies). If they peak too early by releasing reviews it could backfire (the collective consciousness doesn't exactly have long-term memory). There are instances where this does work (A Quiet Place) but if they can get anticipation to peak RIGHT before opening weekend it usually helps with walkups. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Horror is very walk-up based (even the big juggernauts like the IT movies). If they peak too early by releasing reviews it could backfire (the collective consciousness doesn't exactly have long-term memory). There are instances where this does work (A Quiet Place) but if they can get anticipation to peak RIGHT before opening weekend it usually helps with walkups. 

Not the same type of horror, but one could also see this with M3GAN.  Absolutely took off like a rocket when it had unexpectedly great reviews very late in the pre-sale cycle.

Of course, M3GAN was also pretty meme-y and had a fairly clever social media rollout.  But I personally think the stellar RT scores absolutely were a massive shot in the arm, even in the context of the horror genre.

• Like 2

The more I read about this, the more it seems to have in common with Rosemary's Baby with just a hint of its predecessors. I don't see that as a bad thing considering the recent stigmatization of abortion in the US (unfortunately). I guess the deplorable Florida "trial" period of its anti-choice law might prove too close to home for this release.