titanic2187

Top Gun: Maverick | Oscar-wining Billionaire | $1.48bn without China!

Top Gun: Maverick, which is crossing $700M domestic, added $5.8M in its 15th (!) weekend in 63 offshore markets for an international cume of $740.4M and a global tally of $1.441B. The overseas drop was just 15% from last session.

The UK notably has topped the $100M mark with $100.9M to date and up 9% from last week. Japan’s gross is now $90.4M, followed by Korea with $66.3M, Australia at $63.5M (the weekend rising 28% versus last) and France with $56.7M.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Flip said:

Crazy that this could’ve made $2B with China and Russia and better exchange rates (+300M China and Russia) (+200M from bad ER)

200M just from ER is a bit too much, let alone the 300 million prediction... 

It reminds me of those absurd predictions like "with a release in China Spider-Man would have surpassed Avatar!!"

Edited by MG10

1 hour ago, MG10 said:

200M just from ER is a bit too much, let alone the 300 million... 

It reminds me of those absurd predictions like "with a release in China Spider-Man would have surpassed Avatar!!"

An additional $500M with ER and China/Russia is probably a bit too much, but it would probably be $1.75-1.8B with all of that.

Who predicted NWH would surpass Avatar with a China release? It would need over $900M to achieve that. My estimate would be $350-450M.

4 hours ago, The More Fun XXR said:

An additional $500M with ER and China/Russia is probably a bit too much, but it would probably be $1.75-1.8B with all of that.

Who predicted NWH would surpass Avatar with a China release? It would need over $900M to achieve that. My estimate would be $350-450M.

Yeah obviously there weren't many but I remember reading it two/three times in the various threads dedicated to the American weekends' box office and at least a dozen times on reddit (but in this case it's not surprising since r/boxoffice is full of idiots who have mistaken it for r/movies or r/marvel)

Then I can't tell you how many times I've read "500M in China locked" if it was released there, as well as "at minimum 100M for Batman" (then we saw how it went), or Jurassic World 300M without knowing they were in lockdown until a week before the release and many other absurd predictions while not knowing anything about a foreign market and country...

Edited by MG10

2 hours ago, MG10 said:

200M just from ER is a bit too much, let alone the 300 million... 

720dom+900os+300randc close to 2b yes a break out in china with good er 2b is not out of the question.

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

It's just like The Rock or Transformers movies. Chinese audience love this kind of films.

Even if the movie was allowed to come to China, the movie will likely trigger big online boycotts, something The Rock or Transformer movie never faced. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MG10 said:

200M just from ER is a bit too much, let alone the 300 million prediction... 

I mean the last Mission Impossible made 180M in China and Maverick is outperforming that one by at least 2x in most markets, so I think I went conservative with a $300M China prediction because I took account for the Covid situation currently

I think 1.45 B is way much more than all of us dreamed with this film. We can speculate about if, if...but what is acheiving is out of the world, don´t forget that is not a super hero movie, or aliens or dinosaurs, or animation and has no young stars and although T.C: is a superstar is a guy with 60 y.o., so for me is the most impressive run since Avatar. 
ANd finally the way that is doing it, in a ultraleggy fashion, is somthing that, excluding Avatar, didn´t happen since the 90´s, so this is such a miracle for these days.