Eric the Marxist

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Eh, I’m still not confident on this one. Just judging from the trailers, it looks so uninspired and generic. Most of the reactions I’ve seen online sort of mirror that sentiment. Unless the trailers aren’t doing the film justice, I’m thinking this one’s another miss.

17 minutes ago, Ladybug said:

Eh, I’m still not confident on this one. Just judging from the trailers, it looks so uninspired and generic. Most of the reactions I’ve seen online sort of mirror that sentiment. Unless the trailers aren’t doing the film justice, I’m thinking this one’s another miss.

Almost all Pixar movies looks uninspired on the trailers, with a few exceptions they just don´t know how to cut a good trailers, is either too adult or too dumb trying to appeal to little children

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ladybug said:

Trailers not doing the movie justice is not an uncommon occurrence w Pixar. 

Exhibiting the movie three weeks before general release surely has to indicate some faith in it somewhere high up at least.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AniNate said:

Trailers not doing the movie justice is not an uncommon occurrence w Pixar. 

Exhibiting the movie three weeks before general release surely has to indicate some faith in it somewhere high up at least.

Or. it's another can't lose scenario.  If it gets bad reviews, it opens where we all think it does.  If it gets good ones, it might get a pop.  

Remember, it's already going to be showing limited b/c of opening with Flash in the wake of Spidey...to try to get theaters to set it for extra presale showings, it has to show some level of confidence...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I mean, yes, but if they just wanted an early embargo break they'd just do a modest critic screening at an LA multiplex. There's an extra prestige that comes with a Cannes selection, the fact that the only company there is three Pete Docter films that were all critically acclaimed shouldn't be discounted.

Edited by AniNate

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Or. it's another can't lose scenario.  If it gets bad reviews, it opens where we all think it does.  If it gets good ones, it might get a pop.  

Remember, it's already going to be showing limited b/c of opening with Flash in the wake of Spidey...to try to get theaters to set it for extra presale showings, it has to show some level of confidence...

I don´t think this is a decision made by this ´´whatever, it can´t get worse´´ feeling, that´s not how Cannes work, they need to accept the movies in their lineup to have a exclusive premiere there and they look for quality in blockbusters because it´s a prestigious festival, and Disney never spent millions on Cannes promoting a bad movie knowing it have a good chance of blow up in their faces, especially one that depends of WOM. 

If it´s getting a premiere there weeks in advance it´s because Thierry Frémaux liked it a lot,  and Disney are 100% expecting reviews will be very good. We´ve seen studios being wrong before about what they have of course, it can happen, but i´m sure they´re not counting on that.

• Like 4

The only bad received blockbuster i remember recently on Cannes is F9, but that was a special public screening on the beach, the movie was already going to release in France in the next day, and it was released already in US and pretty much the whole world, so there was nothing special about that. 

Solo screened there as well, but same case, it was days before release and the premiere was headed to LA before.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it will lose tons of screens in the crowded summer. Sheer number of releases will crowd out even well received movies. we are already seeing that for March releases. 

However one advantage it does have is that I suspect it will likely be the family animation holdover of July as I don't expect Kraken to have any staying power and Across will likely be hit harder by the action tentpoles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

However one advantage it does have is that I suspect it will likely be the family animation holdover of July as I don't expect Kraken to have any staying power and Across will likely be hit harder by the action tentpoles.

An advantage it'll only have if the reviews are strong enough. Perhaps also that it could have stronger legs than The Flash from week to week.

What that happened to Mario already proved that no one should give a flying shit about the opinions of critics when it comes to movies for kids....... Pixar is in trouble because they are out of touch with their audience. Who are sick and tired of the same preaching about how parents should let their kids do whatever they want. So only a fool would think being beloved by the Cannes crowd is enough to save Elemental. 

6 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

What that happened to Mario already proved that no one should give a flying shit about the opinions of critics when it comes to movies for kids....... Pixar is in trouble because they are out of touch with their audience. Who are sick and tired of the same preaching about how parents should let their kids do whatever they want. So only a fool would think being beloved by the Cannes crowd is enough to save Elemental. 

You know all Onward, Soul, Luca and Turning Red were massive on streaming right lol 

It´s not the movies that aren´t pleasing the audience, it´s the audience that feel like they can watch it home after 2 years doing so 

And yes people care a lot about critical acclaim when it comes to Pixar because they have a pedigree, every time a movie by them have less than 85% on RT is enough for people talk about how it´s low tier Pixar and must be bad [and usually is bad]

Illumination otherwise always releases mediocre movies that are pure escapism fun so this is what people want from them 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3