Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

I know people on these forums like to think the average moviegoer is a completely clueless idiot that can’t tell a Disney movie apart from an Illumination or Dreamworks, but I’d like to think people aren’t that clueless. Disney is a widely recognizable brand. People know that Elsa, Ariel and Moana are Disney characters, and I’d have to assume they’re well aware that the Minions and Puss in Boots are not, especially since their movies aren’t available on Disney+. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Bad Guys cost $75m. Opened to $24m, and went on to profit. Comcast saw the future and budgeted for it.

This thing cost $200m. How?

I don't think Disney is going to cut budgets to that level, but maybe they will go a little higher, or try to control costs as is.

And at the same time, the budget of the movie doesn't affect viewers directly.

I feel bad for Sohn, really hoped this would work out for him and I don't regret trying to maintain hype for it. Maybe he is just too much an "ideas" guy over a "storytelling" guy.

Hopefully Elio will turn out better but man, the pressure is all on that movie now, I fear it's gonna deal with a lot more BTS panic and last-minute executive meddling now.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

you have no way of knowing that... also I think that the "real" story behind the movie doesn't get out these days.

No, I don't, but Pixar hasn't been in a situation like this before. Hard to imagine it won't at least be under more scrutiny from Disney's financial department now.

Just now, AniNate said:

Honestly I'm less confident Inside Out 2 will actually be a hit than Elio, seems very much a "committee" movie the way things are looking.

Yeah tbh I’m not as confident on the sequels either. Not only is there a committee feel but one mediocre sequel and the GA loses trust.

Maybe Pixar and WDAS can find a way to make cheaper films. Whether that’s outsourcing to Canada or Europe for originals or reusing assets.

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Honestly I'm less confident Inside Out 2 will actually be a hit than Elio, seems very much a "committee" movie the way things are looking.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Yeah tbh I’m not as confident on the sequels either. Not only is there a committee feel but one mediocre sequel and the GA loses trust.

Maybe Pixar and WDAS can find a way to make cheaper films. Whether that’s outsourcing to Canada or Europe for originals or reusing assets.

Oh come on now, you're turning on the sequels too?

IDK... the thought of outsourcing and Disney makes me uneasy. I don't like the sound of it.

Thing that makes me most sad is the new talent likely won’t get a chance to make their originals. Shi and Cassarosa sure because they proved themselves somewhat but I’m going to be heartbroken if we don’t get Sullivan or Corbin’s originals because Elemental and Lightyear bombing.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Why are Disney animated movies so expensive compared to the animated movies from other studios anyway? Even Dreamworks seems to have been keeping their budgets under control lately. 

because they don't outsource.

And because they pay lavishly, maybe?