Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

23 hours ago, dudalb said:

Legs are not going to save this movie. I have not seen it and make no judgement on how good a film it is, but you don't come back from an opening that low. Disney is going to lose a substantial amount on this movie, only question is how much.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish and Greatest Showman says hello.

Though Elemental will probably not pull those god like legs, It'll make more than Lightyear for sure.

Edited by Boxx93

Elemental will need a pretty impressive performance to get in the black financially. Best summer legs for a Pixar movie were Ratatouille with a 4.38 multiplier, and that would only put Elemental at around $130mil.  Granted if it does manage something like a Coco split OS, that would be more than enough to push it over 400mil worldwide.

Edited by AniNate

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Elemental will need a pretty impressive performance to get in the black financially. Best summer legs for a Pixar movie were Ratatouille with a 4.38 multiplier, and that would only put Elemental at around $130mil.  Granted if it does manage something like a Coco split OS, that would be more than enough to push it over 400mil worldwide.

I think $400m WW might be enough to save it including ancillaries, idk but to me it doesn't seem like they spent much marketing this movie (relative to other $200m prod budget films). Flash on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if its production:marketing budget ratio was 1:1 with the amount of desperate shit they did.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's still gotta open in several places internationally so I'll wait and see before I make a judgment call, I do think it's performance in places like Korea and Argentina indicate that it could be an international hit (Ratatouille kind of was as well to an extent if you look at the raw data).

54 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Really curious about the legs for this one. When comparing it to lightyear, it’s making less in this first week so far.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Well that's because LIGHTYEAR opened like 20M+ bigger. ELEMENTAL made 4.95M on Tuesday, pretty close to LIGHTYEAR's 5.86M. There is a big chance ELEMENTAL makes more than LIGHTYEAR in its second weekend. We'll see.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

I think if this movie got better reviews, Thomas Newman might have gotten Oscar buzz for the music.

I still think it's possible he could, Newman is an Academy darling and he's gotten nominated for films with worse reception (Passengers, The Good German). Plus his score is the one thing everybody is universally praising across the board - I personally think it's one of his all time best tbh - so while if misses Animated Feature it's not getting in, I do think it's possible we see it do a double nom in Animated Feature/Score.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Would be nice to see the country-by-country breakdown rn to have an idea how it's holding, but it's now more than halfway to Lightyear's worldwide total and still has a lot of big markets to open in

It's outperforming The Good Dinosaur in like for like markets which made $209m back in 2015. So, don't know what that translates to 8 years later... but with UK, Japan and still more to come, $200m OS seems within the realm of possibility. Combined with a likely $110-120m+ domestic run, this could crack $300m worldwide.

If Disney keeps it fairly theatrically exclusive through at least Labor Day, this bodes well for the future of WDAS and Pixar non-IP flicks.

• Like 1

I'm thinking 400m worldwide isn't out of the realm of possibility, it's already beaten Good Dino's total in Korea.

Good Dino didn't even get a release in China so anything they can contribute here will help as well.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2