Eric S'ennui

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

37 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People tracking this, I am guessing TMNT is gonna cause a 60% drop next weekend. 150M+ still on track?

nah. If this weekend couldn't cause that big of a drop, Turtles won't either.

It just needs $5 million more to get to it. After a $3.4 million weekend, that should be easy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

nah. If this weekend couldn't cause that big of a drop, Turtles won't either.

It just needs $5 million more to get to it. After a $3.4 million weekend, that should be easy.

I hope it gets 150, releasing Haunted Mansion this close to Elemental was a huge blunder, that type of movie should release in October. If not for that I think 160 could've happened.

Turtles opens in much of Europe this weekend but Latin America and Asia markets seem to be in the following weeks. Hopefully the Elemental overseas take can actually stay flat with Japan's opening making up for harder drops. 

Edited by AniNate

Finally caught this ahead of Barbie at the drive-in last weekend. Absolutely beautiful animation, fantastic voice acting…and a story so slight it’s hard to say it’s even there. I can see why it didn’t hit big and also why it’s 100% worth a ticket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

Turtles opens in much of Europe this weekend but Latin America and Asia markets seem to be in the following weeks. Hopefully the Elemental overseas take can actually stay flat with Japan's opening making up for harder drops. 

Honestly with Japan in the equation there will be a bump in the weekly OS take.

5 hours ago, JustWatching said:

Finally caught this ahead of Barbie at the drive-in last weekend. Absolutely beautiful animation, fantastic voice acting…and a story so slight it’s hard to say it’s even there. I can see why it didn’t hit big and also why it’s 100% worth a ticket.

Yeah the story doesn't really make sense. I don't mind though. I believe this movie was first pitched when Lasseter was still around, but he departed early on. People say Lasseter made a difference.

I think Turning Red could have been pitched to Lasseter too but I'm not sure. Either way both movies were different because of Lasseter's absence. Maybe for the better for Turning Red. Maybe for the worse for Elemental.

• Like 1

According to imdb these are the countries releasing TMNT this week/end

Release Date

United Kingdom

July 31, 2023

Austria

August 2, 2023

Canada

August 2, 2023

Sweden

August 2, 2023

Ukraine

August 2, 2023

United States

August 2, 2023

Germany

August 3, 2023

Denmark

August 3, 2023

Israel

August 3, 2023

India

August 3, 2023

Kazakhstan

August 3, 2023

Ireland

August 4, 2023

Lithuania

August 4, 2023

Poland

August 4, 2023

Turkey

August 4, 2023

The only big ones I see there are DOM, Germany and UK & Ireland. All of the other big markets for Elemental like Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, France and Spain will remain unscathed and should see small drops. Then of course there's South Korea which has overtaken DOM as the biggest daily market and will be increasing this week due to the school holidays. Japan opens on the weekend too. All in all TMNT really won't make a dent to Elemental and if it ends up being a hit in Japan it won't even register as a blip in the run when all is said and done.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

All in all TMNT really won't make a dent to Elemental and if it ends up being a hit in Japan it won't even register as a blip in the run when all is said and done.

Well yeah because the Turtles come to Japan in September 22. That can't possibly sink Elemental.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well yeah because the Turtles come to Japan in September 22. That can't possibly sink Elemental.

I mean the weekly international gross won't drop much even when turtles gets released in the other big markets because Japan's gross will continue to cover for it. So a chart of the worldwide weekly gross won't even show a slowdown due to turtles because of it.

Tony Chambers, Disney’s head of theatrical distribution, admitted that the opening-weekend numbers for “Elemental” were disappointing, but that even then there were signs the movie might enjoy a longer run. That included overwhelmingly favorable audience scores that were far more positive than early reviews, and a relative dearth of animated competition until the latest “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” movie, which opens this week.

“There was no way of sugarcoating a $30 million opening,” Chambers told CNN, while adding, “We knew the audiences loved it. … We’re seeing much longer legs on movies if the audience scores are good.”

... As for the question of profitability, which has dogged expensive summer releases like “The Flash” and the “Indiana Jones” sequel, as the aforementioned “Encanto” illustrated box office doesn’t tell the entire story. That’s because Disney relies upon its IP, or intellectual property, to generate a variety of benefits, driving traffic to Disney+, selling merchandise and providing characters for its theme parks.

“We more than anyone can leverage our theatrical IP across all the various lines of business,” Chambers said. “We never look at it solely through the eyes of just box office.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/entertainment/elemental-box-office-legs/index.html

• Astonished 2

7 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

if it ends up being a hit in Japan it won't even register as a blip in the run when all is said and done.

Japan

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows" (¥426M)

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (¥1.22B)

Sequel of Well-received Imported Animation grows (Looking at Despicable Me Franchise, starting with ¥1.2B → ¥2.5B → ¥7.3B)

Teenage didn't grow in Japan will be pretty lucky if it break ¥500M here. And my theory is that it's probably doing PiB2 &Lyle, Lyle Crocodile number here (+¥200M)

10 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Box Office: ‘Elemental’ Weathers Summer Storm, Crosses $400M Globally

The Pixar movie started off alarmingly slow but has since made a comeback after enjoying one of the best multiples ever for the storied animation studio.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/elemental-weathers-box-office-storm-1235549499/

7ujzfp.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

Love this for Pixar. They are still putting out very high-quality movies in my opinion. Soul was very good, Luca is honestly among my favorite Pixar movies. Turning Red wasn't totally for me, but I loved how they experimented with the animation in it, and Elemental looks gorgeous too. I loved Coco as well so I'm excited for Elio

I think Elemental will be a big hit on streaming so hopefully more people will turn out for Pixar's opening weekends again

Edited by Dephira