Eric S'ennui

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

2 minutes ago, Show Me The Legion said:

People just like to dunk on Disney, the particulars of the situation are immaterial 😛 

That was somewhat rhetorical. I know the real reason is because people just have to post about how awful and evil Disney is, even when it makes no sense in context. If Pirates 3 was a Universal movie or something, everybody would be like "yeah, Pirates 3 does have the bigger opening. Totally makes sense". It's just all baffling to me because you already have plenty of valid ammo to dunk on Disney. You don't have to make stuff up to get your "Disney bad" point across. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Very happy that Top Gun 2 has now the biggest 3-Day Memorial Day opening weekend record. 💁🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

Does anyone think the actuals might go up for Top Gun? $125-126M maybe?

I am actually betting on a military-themed movie could overperform on Memorial Day itself like how Veteran day boost all military-themed movie but I have no evidence to back me. As such, we should start see some positive impact on Sunday night.

Again, the holiday boost effect on box office seem muted post-pandemic as people cherish more actual interaction time with family and friends during holiday. 

29 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I mean Dominion cramps all previous JP/JW characters in the same movie as well. It seems to be a winning strategy judging by Marvels Team-up movies so lets see if JW can profit from that as well.

Seems like Jurassic Park already had its big nostalgia moment in 2015. Guess we'll see if they can do it again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of ”Adjusted for Inflation” lifetime domestic box office, I see that Box Office Mojo hasn’t updated their ”adjusted” list as of yet since Spider-Man: No Way Home is nowhere to be found in the list despite making $804M DOM.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2022

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like Jurassic Park already had its big nostalgia moment in 2015. Guess we'll see if they can do it again. 

That's the thing... And, I agree with this... But, I think, like we've seen in the past with other trilogies, this one can/will match or surpass Fallen Kingdom in ticket sales. I don't expect it to come close to Jurassic World in ticket sales. But, with inflation, even matching or slightly surpassing Fallen Kingdom in ticket sales would take it close to or over 500M DOM, right? I could be totally off here...

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

That's the thing... And, I agree with this... But, I think, like we've seen in the past with other trilogies, this one can/will match or surpass Fallen Kingdom in ticket sales. I don't expect it to come close to Jurassic World in ticket sales. But, with inflation, even matching or slightly surpassing Fallen Kingdom in ticket sales would take it close to or over 500M DOM, right? I could be totally off here...

Yeah, I would think this might play out similar to what happened with Phantom Menace, Clones, and Sith. The 3rd one was quite a bit larger than the 2nd one, but still not as big as the 1st movie. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Very happy that Top Gun 2 has now the biggest 3-Day Memorial Day opening weekend record. 💁🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

Actually second highest 3-day memorial as Pirates at worlds end doesn't count Thursday previews and if you do the same for Top Gun 2 that gets you 104.7M 3-day

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, I would think this might play out similar to what happened with Phantom Menace, Clones, and Sith. The 3rd one was quite a bit larger than the 2nd one, but still not as big as the 1st movie. 

These are much older examples that don't hold nearly as much merit because of that but I thought about Last Crusade > Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi > Empire Strikes Back as well. The most relevant one is the one you mentioned though. It's the most recent one at least. Another old one would be Batman Forever > Batman Returns. What's funny is in every case I mentioned I personally preferred the second one by a lot... I love Temple of Doom, Empire Strikes back and especially Batman Returns.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yes

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

These are much older examples that don't hold nearly as much merit because of that but I thought about Last Crusade > Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi > Empire Strikes Back as well. The most relevant one is the one you mentioned though. It's the most recent one at least. Another old one would be Batman Forever > Batman Returns. What's funny is in every case I mentioned I personally preferred the second one by a lot... I love Temple of Doom, Empire Strikes back and especially Batman Returns.

I'm with you on Empire & Batman Returns. But Last Crusade is a lot better than Temple of Doom IMHO. Love the dynamic between Ford & Connery in Last Crusade. 

• Thanks 1

It wasn't Disney pointing this out... It was me. I sent the email to Deadline to correct them... They responded by saying Box Office Mojo (and by extension me) was wrong, when I wasn't... Then they update, without really admitting that they (and their sources) were wrong... sigh

Funny to have this behind-the-scenes drama when the real story is how amazing Top Gun: Maverick's box office is, even if it doesn't actually beat the Memorial weekend gross record.

There's more to the drama, but this is my first post here... This forum is awesome. Appreciate how you all are keeping the box office torch alive.

More detail on this story: I saw Deadline claiming the record when the estimate was $142 million, so I wrote to them and told them that "If Top Gun gets to count Thursday previews etc, then so does At World's End."

Then they accuse me of double-counting At World's End's $13.2 million previews back in the day, which could easily be fact-checked... Their so-called "box office authorities" just assumed I was wrong.

After further exchanges, I believe Deadline reached out to Disney. They even used some of my email as part of their story, yet they still didn't get it fully right...

Anyway, there's more to this behind-the-scenes drama. Posting here because it came up in the thread, and I thought you all might be interested.

Again, appreciate this forum. Thank you!

Regards,

Brandon Gray

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 8

8 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

It wasn't Disney pointing this out... It was me. I sent the email to Deadline to correct them... They responded by saying Box Office Mojo (and by extension me) was wrong, when I wasn't... Then they update, without really admitting that they (and their sources) were wrong... sigh

Funny to have this behind-the-scenes drama when the real story is how amazing Top Gun: Maverick's box office is, even if it doesn't actually beat the Memorial weekend gross record.

There's more to the drama, but this is my first post here... This forum is awesome. Appreciate how you all are keeping the box office torch alive.

More detail on this story: I saw Deadline claiming the record when the estimate was $142 million, so I wrote to them and told them that "If Top Gun gets to count Thursday previews etc, then so does At World's End."

Then they accuse me of double-counting At World's End's $13.2 million previews back in the day, which could easily be fact-checked... Their so-called "box office authorities" just assumed I was wrong.

After further exchanges, I believe Deadline reached out to Disney. They even used some of my email as part of their story, yet they still didn't get it fully right...

Anyway, there's more to this behind-the-scenes drama. Posting here because it came up in the thread, and I thought you all might be interested.

Regards,

Brandon Gray

Thank you for all the clarification. Hope you continue to post here, because you are a legend in the world of box office.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Regards,

Brandon Gray

We should send this to Federal court to decide….

Paramount V Disney [2022]

10 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Regards,

Brandon Gray

Legend! Welcome to the board! Now we just Gitesh Pandya to start posting here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2