Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

12 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

My fear now is that there could be some funny business to save face...

Hope everything is above the board. Don't want to have any shadows cast upon Top Gun: Maverick and its amazing box office.

Hopefully good holds today and tomorrow will save the need to purposely fudge numbers.

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yeah, I am out if ST4. I have no time for this. The bullies storyline with Eleven is pointless. This feels like massive filler to have 90 minutes episodes. Give me the fucking main plot and not this shit.

That storyline was endless and insufferable. But the payoff is actually worth it.

• Disbelief 1

8 hours ago, YourMother said:

Stop trying to make Elordi happen. No one wants Elordi.

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’ll take him amanda seyfried raise hand GIF

6a00d8341c2ca253ef026bdec16f12200c-800wi

i think some people want him

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YourMother said:

I’m not denying he’s popular but like he’s not even the top 3 most popular actors from that show.

That’s cause he plays a villain but almost everyone in the fandom agrees he’s a fantastic actor with some of the meatiest scenes. His character with a lesser actor would not work.

I'll drop my 2 cents about the exclusivity window discussion and leave. Netflix made $30 billion last year with only one product - subscriptions. ViacomCBS made $25 billion. That includes their new theatrical releases and their priceless catalogue generating revenue from all the windows possible. It also includes licensing products and their television business (Nickelodeon, MTV, etc.). We box office nerds worry that people will stop coming to theaters to see hit movies like Top Gun Maverick because they'd rather wait for them to be made available on Paramount+, but in reality Paramount is probably counting on it. They'll make more money from consumers who make that transition. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still think the craziest movie that sold an overwhelming number of tickets is The Exorcist. I think with inflation it's just over 1B DOM. I mean, I still can't wrap my head around that movie selling that many tickets. It's mindboggling. Not because I don't love it... I fucking love that movie especially the theatrical cut. But, wow. That movie?!? That's nuts to me.

It’s cause of the religious aspect. Look at passion of the Christ. There you go.  Make a blockbuster with religious overtones and you get to 1.2 billion$

8 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

UHHHHHHHHHM, not so fast. That was last decade, we're now entering a better and brighter future.

X-Men reboot and Secret Wars are gonna be some of the biggest films this decade. Just watch.

The Bob's Burgers producers must have had quite the iron-clad contract because I really don't see it getting a theatrical release of any sort otherwise. Still, it bombed as expected and part of Disney's plan as they tend to use the Memorial Day weekend as a dumping ground for movies they don't believe in, and a movie left over from a dead regime based on a TV series no one outside the US even knows is a perfect corpse to bury. We certainly won't be getting another Simpsons movie in theaters now.

Thankfully for the suits at Disney it looks like this is the final holdover from the old Fox regime (the Avatar sequels are as well, but Disney actually wants those, so...) and everything going forward is from the current regime.

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Weird thing is Pirates 3 was one of the biggest disappointments back then. I remember months of manic obsession at BOM forums predicting winner of May 2007. All 3 disappointed but to me Pirates 3 opening was a disappointment considering DMC crushed OW record just 10 months earlier and did > 3x legs as well. 

TGM is not bigger than Pirates 3. But we are comparing different eras. In 2022 this is a great opening considering we have not had a non MCU movie break out for past 2 years+. 

AHEM Some of us knew Pirates 3 was going to disappoint relative to expectations months in advance...

https://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26660&hilit=pirates

😎

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yeah, I am out if ST4. I have no time for this. The bullies storyline with Eleven is pointless. This feels like massive filler to have 90 minutes episodes. Give me the fucking main plot and not this shit.

FYI I would give it some time. Once they move on from that its relentless. Duffer brothers know how to keep the tension. I had a blast once we are past the 1st episode. 

7 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Good to see Brandon Gray posting here. Now there’s a blast from the past! 

Sean Salisbury and Ray Subers coming in next 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, YourMother said:

Stop trying to make Elordi happen. No one wants Elordi.

Just last week, it was reported Elordi is in the mix for the new James Bond. He is 100% every Superman shortlist in existence. 

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

He's actually been cast for a major role in Emerald Fennell's next movie. But it remains to be seen if the "let's try and make the Euphoria actors into stars" belief that's going around Hollywood right now ends up having much of a shelf life or not.

I've been saying it for a while, but he is the most logical candidate for young Superman since Josh Hartnett was a thing. TBH WB are overthinking things if they don't do an Abrams/Elordi traditional superman film shortly...

6 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Thank goodness for the warriors in shining knight who will stand up for a vile and greedy corporation who has done endless amounts of shady tactics for greed. Sure, all corporations are like that, but as a movie fan having to see one of the gatekeepers of the artform I hold dear to my heart, it's insanity to believe there are people who will defend Disney - who are known to bully theater owners, trying to trademark holidays, send good theatrical propostions to streaming for the fucking Hell of it, sleeching endless amounts of money off nostalgia for 95% of every other thing they make, etc. - just because they own good IP.

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Sean Salisbury and Ray Subers coming in next 

I am mixed on Sean while not a huge fan of Ray. Brandon was the ultimate. Loved his write ups and during peak BOM, their international coverage was phenomenal with almost daily updates. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Crazy thing is Disney has 3 movies coming out that all have the potential to beat paramounts year to date gross  

Okay now this seems a little optimistic for Thor 😳

• Like 1

120 is a crazy long window, they could move to 75 without losing almost any theatrical juice and have a far more relevant streaming debut, instead of a ~50 day long dead zone where theatrical is functionally done and other modes aren’t available yet. 

• Like 2