Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

55 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Top ten grossing films of 1986. I think Crocodile Dundee was actually the big surprise of the year 

1 Top Gun Paramount $176,781,728
2 Crocodile Dundee $174,803,506
3 Platoon Orion $138,530,565
4 The Karate Kid Part II Columbia $115,103,979
5 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Paramount $109,713,132
6 Back to School Orion $91,258,000
7 Aliens Fox $86,160,248
8 The Golden Child Paramount $79,817,937
9 Ruthless People Disney $71,624,879
10 Ferris Bueller's Day Off Paramount $70,136,169

One Disney movie and four Paramount movies in the top ten. How times have changed. 

Ruthless People needs a Bluray release.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

I agree. I think making a sequel to Revenge of the Sith could be a good idea. Maybe it could even follow Anakin's son and bring back Obi-Wan in a mentor role. 

In all seriousness an alt-timeline PT followup maybe the only movie project I’d be more hyped about than KOTOR :hahaha:

• Astonished 1

49 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is fucking ridiculous. The episodes are endless. By the 60 minutes mark in the first episode literally nothing plot wise had happened yet.

I can't relate to this. I love that the first episode is focused on character development. Four seasons in, the show is as epic as ever, and yet it still centres the relationships and interpersonal dynamics of characters, and gives space for the grief and trauma that characters have experienced in very different ways.

And, again, it's not like this season is short on epic plot and story advances - the latter episodes in particular are "holy crap" experiences. It's thrilling to see the story come together this season in such an epic fashion and in a way that goes back to its roots - the show has earned it.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i love that "what if there was an australian man?" was a good enough premise to fuel a gigantic hit in the 80s. for the most part it's not even like high comedy situations he just comes to new york and is mildly confused about stuff. people doing backflips over this back then.

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Go and look at the world wide grosses of the Crocodile Dundee trilogy.  It did like $1b.  

Everyone talking about bringing back 80s franchises. There you go. Crocodile Dundee reboot starring Chris Hemsworth.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

What a thrilling weekend for the box office. It's exciting to see Top Gun Maverick surpass the Memorial Day weekend record that was set 15 years ago. And it's doubly thrilling when it's a film that is so well received both critically and commercially - with strong legs, this will be a fun run to follow.

And I know this is a sequel, but because it's a follow-up to a film from the 80s, and not another instalment of a current established franchise/brand (e.g. MCU, Star Wars, etc), I think it makes this weekend even more exciting for many.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7

Counterintuitive as it may seem, I think a softer Saturday may be good news for TG2’s legs, at least over the next 11.5 days: there really seems to be a “wait for IMAX” (or other PLF) demand here, which is just going to keep pushing business forward (at higher ATP) as long as those formats are available. A small scale version of what Avatar did in 3D. Even with Thursday & holiday inflation on OW, a $60M second weekend is quite plausible 

And Paramount should go ahead and plant their flag now for an IMAX re-release in August when calendar clears up 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I would add to the marketing point that the little marketing it got was very misleading. People thought they would get a Gladiator-style revenge viking movie with big battle scenes and the movie really isnt that. Misleading marketing always leads to mediocre to bad WOM even if the movie itself is great.

Wouldn’t it makes much less if it was marketed accurately?

• Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, Chaz said:

One Disney movie and four Paramount movies in the top ten. How times have changed. 

Ruthless People needs a Bluray release.

I count 5 for Paramount? 

Also, Orion PicturesPouring Austin Powers GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't think the northman's marketing was misleading at all? it pretty much is the movie that was advertised. i don't think that was the problem.

People love to use “marketing” as a shorthand excuse when their faves bomb. It wasn’t marketed enough, it’s marketing wasn’t good enough, blah blah blah. And really, nine times out of ten, movies have a strong ad campaign and are promoted as advertised. The bigger issue is just that if your movie isn’t a nostalgic toy commercial, audiences refuse to watch it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am not sure but a big growth on SAT in many mkts come from big cities, since this is doing better in middle America, SAT bump might be smaller.

Currently, if you had to a projection for TGM's final DOM/International gross, what would it be?