Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

where the hell do people get time to watch all these shows. It seems people are able to keep up with every major show that is out. Do people just spend all their free time binging shows?

Generally I wouldn't but on call for work this weekend so stuck around the house... It was a chore pushing through Stranger 4 episodes off and on yesterday. First was good. Then all the other episodes leading up to 7 were either bad, average or serviceable. Last one that sets the stage for July 1 final two was pretty fun. You could honestly almost just watching the first and that one or, even, just that one and be fine to watch the last two. Not much happens. Character beats especially suck. It's just going through the motions. 

Did someone say the last two coming July 1 are over 4 hours? Sigh. Good grief. I'll probably just check the spoilers for those two.

• Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

In two weeks my man. In two weeks.

i'm rooting for it massively as its a great indicator of cinema strength. I want to see everyone coming back to the cinema.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

i'm rooting for it massively as its a great indicator of cinema strength. I want to see everyone coming back to the cinema.

Yes! 

Its the same reason why i would love to see Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Avatar 2 or smaller films like Nope or Bullet Train gross as much as possible as every movie beeing as big as possible is the thing theaters need the most.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes! 

Its the same reason why i would love to see Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Avatar 2 or smaller films like Nope or Bullet Train gross as much as possible as every movie being as big as possible is the thing theaters need the most.

Yup! Even rooting for those insufferable Minions to make a big dent. And, heck, maybe 3K Years of Longing does alright too. Strange with average WOM getting to 400M+ DOM and Maverick breaking out are both great signs. EEAAO doing what it's doing is a great sign as is Lost City crossing 100M+ DOM. Slowly but surely we're getting there.

I still think I'm more bullish on Lightyear than most here. I think 300M+ is a lock for that one. And, that's more families going back to cinema too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that the Avatar 2 trailer is playing in front of all of these big summer movies 👀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nope, Elvis, Black Phone, Where the Crawdads Sing and Bullet Train are the biggest tests to theaters this Summer. People are back for the big stuff, but they also need to be back for the mid level stuff.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nope, Elvis, Black Phone, Where the Crawdads Sing and Bullet Train are the biggest tests to theaters this Summer. People are back for the big stuff, but they also need to be back for the mid level stuff.

I'll have to look into Black Phone but I agree here. I can't imagine Nope and Elvis not at least doing well but hopefully both do very, very well. Bullet Train I can see being a miss with audiences but the cast is huge so that should help. I'll have to dig into what Crawdads Sing is all about.

SATURDAY LATE NIGHT/EARLY SUNDAY AM: Who the heck knew that simple box office accounting would provide such a headache 15 years later?

Disney is claiming at this point in time that they continue to have the all-time Memorial Day opening record with 2007’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End with $153M. This includes the pure Friday through Monday of $139.8M over the May 25-28 holiday, plus $13.2M made on Thursday, May 24 in early shows.

Box Office Mojo made note of that $13.2M on Thursday, but never rolled it into the overall 4-day weekend opening of At World’s End. This was part of an early policy they had before Thursday previews became more common not to include those monies in the weekend because Thursday wasn’t part of the 3-day. At World’s End was one of the early Thursday night preview experiments (there had been others such as 1997’s Lost World: Jurassic Park). Meanwhile, box office stat org Comscore, the last we checked, didn’t have any type of record of these Thursday previews. Hence, the confusion. On paper, At World’s End, with $13.2M in previews looks like a 5-day opener, not 4-day. Both Comscore and Mojo measured the 4-day holiday Memorial Day record for At World’s End at $139.8M.

Since roughly 2013, all Thursday preview monies for a movie gets rolled into its opening day Friday, and that’s a policy which has been respected by all the majors. Disney told Deadline yesterday that internally they’ve included At World’s Thursday night preview money in the pic’s Friday opening number.

In Paramount’s eyes, Top Gun: Maverick with a 4-day opening of $150M (which includes $19.3M Thursday previews, rolled into Friday), is the new Memorial Day weekend champion. We hear at this point in time, Top Gun 2 is still at $150M over 4-days after a $37M Saturday. Should Top Gun 2 clear $153M+ by EOD Monday, this whole fight about who’s the king of the Memorial Day box office goes away.
Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

• Like 1

Nope should do at least 150m. Black Phone 70m. Elvis heard or tails on over/under 150m, it just doesn’t look appealing to me. Bullet Train 50m. I dunno what crawdads is.

Edited by eddyxx

38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Agree, especially for Elvis and Crawdads, where adult-skewing dramas have been especially weak. Thrillers and horror have done OK when it’s the right IP, just a whole lot of weaker releases that can’t hit $5M

9 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

SATURDAY LATE NIGHT/EARLY SUNDAY AM: Who the heck knew that simple box office accounting would provide such a headache 15 years later?

Disney is claiming at this point in time that they continue to have the all-time Memorial Day opening record with 2007’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End with $153M. This includes the pure Friday through Monday of $139.8M over the May 25-28 holiday, plus $13.2M made on Thursday, May 24 in early shows.

Box Office Mojo made note of that $13.2M on Thursday, but never rolled it into the overall 4-day weekend opening of At World’s End. This was part of an early policy they had before Thursday previews became more common not to include those monies in the weekend because Thursday wasn’t part of the 3-day. At World’s End was one of the early Thursday night preview experiments (there had been others such as 1997’s Lost World: Jurassic Park). Meanwhile, box office stat org Comscore, the last we checked, didn’t have any type of record of these Thursday previews. Hence, the confusion. On paper, At World’s End, with $13.2M in previews looks like a 5-day opener, not 4-day. Both Comscore and Mojo measured the 4-day holiday Memorial Day record for At World’s End at $139.8M.

Since roughly 2013, all Thursday preview monies for a movie gets rolled into its opening day Friday, and that’s a policy which has been respected by all the majors. Disney told Deadline yesterday that internally they’ve included At World’s Thursday night preview money in the pic’s Friday opening number.

In Paramount’s eyes, Top Gun: Maverick with a 4-day opening of $150M (which includes $19.3M Thursday previews, rolled into Friday), is the new Memorial Day weekend champion. We hear at this point in time, Top Gun 2 is still at $150M over 4-days after a $37M Saturday. Should Top Gun 2 clear $153M+ by EOD Monday, this whole fight about who’s the king of the Memorial Day box office goes away.

Have a feeling that TG2 is going to make this “controversy” moot in the end 

Given the demo age skew & weaker late shows, and high PLF demand*, won’t be surprised with a flat Sun rather than the typical 5-10% drop. And Mon could overpreform too

$155M 4-day 

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Have a feeling that TG2 is going to make this “controversy” moot in the end 

Given the demo age skew & weaker late shows, and high PLF demand*, won’t be surprised with a flat Sun rather than the typical 5-10% drop. And Mon could overpreform too

$155M 4-day 

155M - 19.26M = 135.74M true 4 day

That's less than 139M true 4 day for Pirates. So it might still be controversial.

10 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Pretty silly. Even when you exclude the $13M of Thursday preview money, Pirates 3 made $186M in 2022 dollars from Friday to Monday.

This $186M inflation number does not even factor in that Pirates 3 did not benefit from premium tickets like IMAX, RPX, Dolby Cinema. Those formats did not exist for Hollywood movies until 2008 and later. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty silly. Even when you exclude the $13M of Thursday preview money,

Isnt it worse then just Thursday?   Revenue is being counted for 7 calander days Tues-Monday for TG:M "4-day memorial weekend" isnt it?  Kind of a farce if they take a victory lap on that imo.   Edit: Its a farce if they needed the Tues/Wed on top of Thursday numbers.   If they beat them but not by pirates Thursday numbers they should just keep quite.   

Edited by Borf the Borf
  • Like 2