Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It was also eating plants before it fought the Giga. Also herbivore is not indicative of a peaceful animal. In fact many of the most aggressive animals today are herbivores and will kill anything out of the ordinary that goes near their turf. Things like Rhinos, water Buffalo, Bison, Spanish Mustangs, Elk, Moose, etc. Kill more people per year than their respective predators.

The most dangerous animal you can come across in Africa for example is actually the hippo. Not lions, leopards, crocodiles or snakes pose the greatest danger there, but the seemingly "nice" herbivore that will simply crush you or run over you if it feels like it.

Eating plants doesnt make you peacefull or harmless.

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It was also eating plants before it fought the Giga. Also herbivore is not indicative of a peaceful animal. In fact many of the most aggressive animals today are herbivores and will kill anything out of the ordinary that goes near their turf. Things like Rhinos, water Buffalo, Bison, Spanish Mustangs, Elk, Moose, etc. Kill more people per year than their respective predators.

You missed the herbivore more dangerous than any of this list  - Hippopotamus 

That animal kills more humans than Lions and Crocodile combined in an year.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Compare and contrast how the movie treats literally every other herbivore in it. There's a way to do it where it still feels like a herbivorous animal, and shooting the scene like the Therizinosaurus is going to notice and eat Claire isn't how you do it. 

I disagree here. In no way makes the movie it seem like the Therizinosaurus could intend to eat Claire. It makes it seem like this giant dinosaur with 2 meter long claws could kill her at any moment. Thats quite a big difference imo. Again, Herbivore doesnt equl harmless or nice animal/dinosaur.

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I disagree here. In no way makes the movie it seem like the Therizinosaurus could intend to eat Claire. It makes it seem like this giant dinosaur with 2 meter long claws could kill her at any moment. Thats quite a big difference imo. Again, Herbivore doesnt equl harmless or nice animal/dinosaur.

There's a shot of its mouth next to her head. Like...that's pretty clearly the intent there.

• Like 1

Compare and contrast how the movie treats literally every other herbivore in it. There's a way to do it where it still feels like a herbivorous animal, and shooting the scene like the Therizinosaurus is going to notice and eat Claire isn't how you do it. 

What does "feeling" like a herbivorous animal even mean? That seems like a completely arbitrary standard. Any conclusion of carnivory is done by the audience through preconceived cultural notions that predators are meant to be aggressive and herbivores docile. And it was meant clear in the shots before Claire going in the lake that it wasn't a carnivore. The first was that after swatting the deer for being in its way it doesn't eat it and it in fact turns the opposite direction. The second is of it eating plants from a bush right before the sequence with Claire occurs. You can complain that it's too short of an indication but both instances literally happens in the same scene one right after the other so any confusion I'd say is more likely not the fault of the movie.

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

What does "feeling" like a herbivorous animal even mean? That seems like a completely arbitrary standard. Any conclusion of carnivory is done by the audience through preconceived cultural notions that predators are meant to be aggressive and herbivores docile. And it was meant clear in the shots before Claire going in the lake that it wasn't a carnivore. The first was that after swatting the deer for being in its way it doesn't eat it and it in fact turns the opposite direction. The second is of it eating plants from a bush right before the sequence with Claire occurs. You can complain that it's too short of an indication but both instances literally happens in the same scene one right after the other so any confusion I'd say is more likely not the fault of the movie.

Literally every other herbivore in Dominion even when they're being aggressive (The Ceratopsian stampede) isn't shown as an immediate threat to the protagonists. The Therizinosaurus is portrayed differently from everything else. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Did the Sinoceratops intend to eat Owen because it's mouth and tongue was near his head? 

That scene is solidly comedic and set up as comedic. The Therizinosaurus scene is not.

Literally every other herbivore in Dominion even when they're being aggressive (The Ceratopsian stampede) isn't shown as an immediate threat to the protagonists. The Therizinosaurus is portrayed differently from everything else. 

So what? Being an indirect threat is something you and the audience have attributed to the herbivores. Not the other way around as we've had other instances in the franchise of the herbivores being direct threats to the characters safety. The Stegosauruses from the LW, Sinoceratops with Owen in FK however momentary it was, and the Pachycephalosaurus in FK during the breakout scene.

Just now, Mulder said:

Yes, but ... i still dont the a problem with that? Using todays animals, a documentary that shows Giraffes and hippos would also cleary show the more peacefull Giraffes and the way more aggressive and menacing hippos.

The point of the Therizinosaurus scene is to show that this thing is dangerous. It accomplishes that very well imo and it also comes across very clearly that its a herbivore. But i respect your viewpoint if you see it so different, after all, a scene can have very different impacts/impressions in different viewers. 

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

That scene is solidly comedic and set up as comedic. The Therizinosaurus scene is not.

Can it not be tense and comedic? I feared Owen's safety then because of his paralytic state.

Also that didn't answer the question

Edited by Alex SciChannel

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

There's a shot of its mouth next to her head. Like...that's pretty clearly the intent there.

Actually that time Claire was under water and Theri was inspecting.

There's no doubt that it was an aggressive animal and would've killed Claire had it caught her. But it wasn't a Carnivore for sure, it was eating leaves.

Just now, Alex SciChannel said:

Can it not be tense and comedic? I feared Owen's safety then because of his paralytic state.

They're really not setting that scene up as tense or the Sinoceratops as dangerous at all there.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

They're really not setting that scene up as tense or the Sinoceratops as dangerous at all there.

It almost crushed his skull in wtf are you talking about?

Also I don't want to be scummy so I'm letting you know I editing the quoted comment to indicate that still didn't answer my question. The scene can still be comedic while still thinking the Sino wants to eat Owen. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Hippopotamus mostly use their mouths to kill..... They have powerful jaws and hyge sets of teeth..... They use their jaws to cut a Crocodile in Half. 

Basically a Hippopotamus jaws have seen more human blood than a Lion per year, but they are not Carnivores. Just extremely aggressive and territorial animals that will kill you if you venture near them in the wild.

Theri was presented as same.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mulder said:

yeah i honestly thought it was a carnivore until reading the opposite here

• Like 1

Everything regarding the locust and clones plot was just absurd. I am in shock that they took the film where they finally decided to spread the dinosaurs into civilization and focused on that aspect of things. Good lord, what a dumb decision. 

• Like 1