IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

Maleficients European run, especially in Ger+Aut is very disappointing. I thought that it would work like in Italy and Mexico everywhere, but it did not.

Well German box office is a disaster in general this year, no? I think it's performed admirably considering, to still take the #1 spot 5 weeks post-release.

Edited by aDIM Stormborn

Like the year when the Hangover movies are in release, Neighbors, a raunchy, rude comedy, is becoming one of the highest grossing US movies of the year. German audience seems to prefer comedies than action movies: look at the way XMDOFP & Godzilla perform, under a Seth Rogen movie.

Yep, Germany (and Austria, too) is a perfect market for comedies, and not only Hollywood ones. Domestic comedies are doing major business too, and even French ones (look at "Intouchables ..." last year) are fine. I think the main difference is the 30+ - demo - for most of them, actioners or comic adaptions are too childish, while there's no problem with comedies. Call it snobbish but there it is ...

Maleficients European run, especially in Ger+Aut is very disappointing. I thought that it would work like in Italy and Mexico everywhere, but it did not.

Isn't it doing more or less the same as Snow White and the Huntsman? That's the closest comparison and didn't have the World Cup so I don't think it's that bad.

Isn't it doing more or less the same as Snow White and the Huntsman? That's the closest comparison and didn't have the World Cup so I don't think it's that bad.

I thought Angelina Jolie, more internationally a star compared to Carlize Theron, would be enough to get it much higher. But perhaps the target audience are maily females and for them maybe Chris Hemsworth was the draw?

Yep, Germany (and Austria, too) is a perfect market for comedies, and not only Hollywood ones. Domestic comedies are doing major business too, and even French ones (look at "Intouchables ..." last year) are fine. I think the main difference is the 30+ - demo - for most of them, actioners or comic adaptions are too childish, while there's no problem with comedies. Call it snobbish but there it is ...

Are there any German (French or Austrian) non-comedies with big numbers ?

Are there any German (French or Austrian) non-comedies with big numbers ?

Not really, no. The biggest one in recent history was "Das Parfum" with 5.6 mil admissions in Germany. Which makes it #88 as of today on this chart (Top100 by admissions in Germany since 1968).

In Austria, it's a bit better for domestic non-comedies; "Schlafes Bruder" and "Der Knochenmann" rank #6 and 7 on the Top charts for domestic films since 1982. #1 to 5 are, of course, comedies :)

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1

No, excitement was the wrong hope ... after some weeks of comparatively good numbers (considering the circumstances), this weekend we will propably have a #1 movie with less than 100k admissions. First trend by insidekino:

#1: Tammy - 85k

#2: TFioS - 65k (-50%)

#3: Maleficent - 40k (-65%)

I don't trust this Maleficent trend - actuals were always higher than estimates for that one - but this will be one lousy weekend ...

No, excitement was the wrong hope ... after some weeks of comparatively good numbers (considering the circumstances), this weekend we will propably have a #1 movie with less than 100k admissions. First trend by insidekino: #1: Tammy - 85k#2: TFioS - 65k (-50%)#3: Maleficent - 40k (-65%)I don't trust this Maleficent trend - actuals were always higher than estimates for that one - but this will be one lousy weekend ...

Friday will be dead: world cup, GermanyxFrance

Why are Germans (and Austrians) so into fullbodied American comedians?

Kevin James gets his best results here for instance.

LOL nice description

Maybe they get a laugh off thinking most Americans are big fat goofballs. Though Sandler does well in the market too, and he's not obese... :)