Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

"If we ended up in greenscreen with coffee and everybody having a good time, everybody will be happy, but most likely the film would be a piece of shit."

lol Inarritu going nuts.

Oh, dear... This is one big PR clusterfuck in the making

I'm not a huge Inarritu fan, but he's not wrong when he says a good, happy production doesn't automatically correlate to a good movie. You can have a horrible, troubled shoot fraught with difficulties, unhappy crew, running over schedule, etc and still end up with an amazing movie.

• Like 7

I'm not a huge Inarritu fan, but he's not wrong when he says a good, happy production doesn't automatically correlate to a good movie. You can have a horrible, troubled shoot fraught with difficulties, unhappy crew, running over schedule, etc and still end up with an amazing movie.

Agreed. However he is not saying that 'good production doesn't mean a good movie', he is saying that a happy production will result in a bad movie.

• Like 1

Titanic is the best example of this. That had a multitude of problems.

• Like 1

Agreed. However he is not saying that 'good production doesn't mean a good movie', he is saying that a happy production will result in a bad movie.

Comfort is not a good indicator, though. And I kinda agree with him: shooting this on a bunch of green screen wouldn't be particularly good.

Comfort is not a good indicator, though. And I kinda agree with him: shooting this on a bunch of green screen wouldn't be particularly good.

It depends on the film, a comedy is probably quite less strenuous to work on and the cast generally get along and have a bit of fun whereas something like this is more gruelling but it doesn't mean the comedy is less good than the drama. 

It depends on the film, a comedy is probably quite less strenuous to work on and the cast generally get along and have a bit of fun whereas something like this is more gruelling but it doesn't mean the comedy is less good than the drama. 

That's not necessarily true (other than the fact that comedy is generally not set in harsh physical conditions). Good comedy needs precise direction and delivery; if the cast are just having a laugh then the movie will probably be worse off for it.

I admit that I only read the headline. But it sounded like he was saying that actors should not be able to have good working conditions, like no coffee breaks during the working day wtf?

Edited by Tree-5000
  • Like 1

That's not necessarily true (other than the fact that comedy is generally not set in harsh physical conditions). Good comedy needs precise direction and delivery; if the cast are just having a laugh then the movie will probably be worse off for it.

I admit that I only read the headline. But it sounded like he was saying that actors should not be able to have good working conditions, like no coffee breaks during the working day wtf?

No, it's basically just a clusterfuck production with poor communication in terrible conditions, with some crew quitting/getting replaced, some dubious decisions being pushed on people in the name of art (like convincing an actor to get dragged naked through the snow, etc). And, of course, there's the infamous whisper gossip about Tom Hardy literally knocking Inarritu out. :lol:

I think Inarritu's an egotistical dick. But I can also see his point.

• Like 2

No, it's basically just a clusterfuck production with poor communication in terrible conditions, with some crew quitting/getting replaced, some dubious decisions being pushed on people in the name of art (like convincing an actor to get dragged naked through the snow, etc). And, of course, there's the infamous whisper gossip about Tom Hardy literally knocking Inarritu out. :lol:

I think Inarritu's an egotistical dick. But I can also see his point.

what the actual fuck? 

I haven't been paying much attention to all this, but wow.

Edited by Tree-5000

Titanic is the best example of this. That had a multitude of problems.

There are many examples Apocalypse Now, Herzog-Kinski movies, Hitchcock etc

All this production hell might have nothing to do with how the movie turns out. We just associate troubled production=trouble because many times at least financially that is the case. But even that isn't a rule.

I worry more about Inarritu's ability to shoot a movie as gripping as the one the teaser suggests than any production trouble.

Finiancially although the movie needs to do a lot of money if the budget is that big. But if WOWS grossed 400 M I don't see why this can't gross 350 M WW and be marginally profitable.

I'm definately hyped for this, even though I don't like most of Inarritu's moves.

• Like 1

The fact that the budget of the film has climbed to $95 million, and may end up costing as much as $135 million before it’s done, might have contributed to said arguments.

http://www.avclub.com/article/frozen-cameras-naked-extras-and-other-tales-set-re-222743?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

• Like 1

BD043168.jpg?sequence=3

• Like 1

David O. Russell got in a fight with Christopher Nolan at a party because Jude Law wanted a role in Memento over I Heart Huckabees

David R' Russell should be in jail.  He's a bully and gets in fights with most of his cast.  Clooney came right out and said that DOR is one of the most difficult directors' he's ever worked with.

David O. Russell got in a fight with Christopher Nolan at a party because Jude Law wanted a role in Memento over I Heart Huckabees   David R' Russell should be in jail.  He's a bully and gets in fights with most of his cast.  Clooney came right out and said that DOR is one of the most difficult directors' he's ever worked with.
Well, it does appear he's softened quite a bit recently. Jennifer Lawrence keeps going back to him.