Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Box office 23-24 october

Movie Box Office (R$)             Total (R$)
1 Venom: Let There be carnage 6.458.000 49.731.000
2 Dune 5.101.000 5.101.000
3 Ron's Gone Wrong 1,610.000 1.610.000
4 Halloween Kills 1.387.000 4.660.000
5 No Time to Die 1.289.000 20,170.000
6 The Last Duel 236.000 1.060.000
7 Fatima 180.000 826.000
8 Paw Patrol 172.000 12.501.000
9 Amarração do Amor 56.000 408.000
10 Boss Baby 2 49.400 11,132.000

Venom came a little short of the projection while the others hold up, but the movie still holded an excelent -39%. Despite coming in second, Dune overperformed the expectations. The weekend came bellow 5% from last weekend, but it was the first weekend in a long time that the entire top 5 did at least more than R$1M.

Next weekend is time for Antlers, The Addams Family 2 and the local Curupira.

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
  • Like 2

Venom: LTBC made R$750k on monday, passing the R$50M lifetime. A reminder that the movie is still behind the first movie, that had R$58M on the same timeframe. the fourth weekend was when the movie started having larger drops, if LTBC manages to keep up with its current legs it can at least closer the gap.

Dune so far is around 87% what Blade Runner 2049 did. The legs of Blade Runner were pretty bad after the second weekend, if the same will happen to Dune is still up in the air.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Venom: LTBC made R$750k on monday, passing the R$50M lifetime. A reminder that the movie is still behind the first movie, that had R$58M on the same timeframe. the fourth weekend was when the movie started having larger drops, if LTBC manages to keep up with its current legs it can at least closer the gap.

Dune so far is around 87% what Blade Runner 2049 did. The legs of Blade Runner were pretty bad after the second weekend, if the same will happen to Dune is still up in the air.

Are you saying Dune is at this point 87% of where BR2049 was?

BR2049 did $5.4m. Is it really possible that Dune could get 87% of that if it continues to have as good legs?

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

Are you saying Dune is at this point 87% of where BR2049 was?

BR2049 did $5.4m. Is it really possible that Dune could get 87% of that if it continues to have as good legs?

Yes and no. You see, that is tricky, on the local currency it have a shot but on dollars it will be difficult. Like I said BR2049 had a great second weekend but it was pretty much dead after that, and this tuesday and thursday will be holidays so this mid-week will probably be great for Dune and the other movies. However, the exchange rates of the real to dollar are much, much worse now than what it was in 2017. It would need Dune to do 5.2x it's opening to do that - not impossible but VERY hard to accomplish.

3 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Yes and no. You see, that is tricky, on the local currency it have a shot but on dollars it will be difficult. Like I said BR2049 had a great second weekend but it was pretty much dead after that, and this tuesday and thursday will be holidays so this mid-week will probably be great for Dune and the other movies. However, the exchange rates of the real to dollar are much, much worse now than what it was in 2017. It would need Dune to do 5.2x it's opening to do that - not impossible but VERY hard to accomplish.

Copy that. Thanks for clarifying this so well.

• Like 1

Box office 29-31 october

Movie Box Office (R$)             Total (R$)
1 Venom: Let There be carnage 4.308.000 56.333.000
2 Dune 3.631.000 10.305.000
3 The Addams Family 2 2.923.000 2.923.000
4 No Time to Die 885.000 21.443.000
5 Antlers 742.000 742.000
6 Halloween Kills 727.000 5.868.000
7 Ron's Gone Wrong 671.000 2.680.000
8 The Courier 80.000 80.000
9 The Last Duel 59.000 1.180.000
10 Paw Patrol 55.000 12.578.000

-13% from last week. Venom at the top for the 4th week in a row. Right now, if the movie manages to pull off R$15M more it will pass F9 as the top movie of the year.

Next week is time for Eternals, Red Notice will get a limited release and the brazilian Marighella will finally release, after controversies, getting delayed for 2 years and getting review bombed on IMDB (Mostly by Bolsonaro supporters). Early release screenings starts tonight, the pre-sales are actually really good. Too bad it have to face Eternals on the weekend.

EDIT: The São Paulo International Movie Festival is currently being held and so far has made R$100k+ at the box office. However since it is a movie festival and not a movie in specific I did not put on the list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is Red Notice the first Netflix film to get a theatrical release here? It's not playing at any theater in my city, thought.

Spoiler

Not that I would pay to see this because it looks generic, but I hope Netflix can get their movies into wide release by the time the next Zack Snyder film arrives. 👀

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Is Red Notice the first Netflix film to get a theatrical release here? It's not playing at any theater in my city, thought.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know if its the first, but I can't remember any other movie. I saw some screenings popping up in São Paulo, however is also not playing in my city...

• Like 1

A few numbers from monday and tuesday:

Venom: LTBC - R$3,27M

Addams' Family 2 - R$2,65M

Dune - R$2,52M

No Time to Die - R$611k

Halloween Kills - R$412k

No Time to Die was 7th at the overall top 10, but it pulled the best theater average from the ranking, followed by Dune. I'll update if more gets reported.

EDIT: Paw Patrol - R$56k

• Like 3

Eternals made R$2,25M+ on it's pre-release yesterday. Above Shang-Chi and The Conjuring 3, bellow Black Widow and Venom: LTBC. The pre-release of Marighella got it to the 5th place in the ranking.

October also closed with R$116,4M in total, the best month of the pandemic on profit, second best in ticket sales.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Eternals made another R$3,1M on thursday, breaking the record of the pandemic. Marighella managed to climb to 2nd place and now have the record of best opening of a brazilian movie in almost 2 years.

expected full run for Eternals?