Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Beauty and the Beasts grossed R$32.5m and 1.8 million admissions OW.

Fantastic!!!!

In admissions it's similar to Logan but the gross is clearly higher, meaning that BATB has costlier tickets than Logan, having the same number of admissions despite this is impressive.

5 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Thanks! :)

I thought Titanic had grossed over $70,000,000 in USD back in 1998?

Was that somehow not enough to qualify for this list or is there a cut-off? 

Titanic was released on January 16th, 1998 (according BOM). That day, ER was $1=R$1.12. In April it was at R$1.14. So if I am not wrong, Titanic grossed something like R$78-80m, not enough to be on that list.

Edit: I have seen that @Fullbuster previously said it had grossed R$89m.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

In admissions it's similar to Logan but the gross is clearly higher, meaning that BATB has costlier tickets than Logan, having the same number of admissions despite this is impressive.

That's because there were 3D versions of BATB here in Brazil. In fact, a ton of 3D screens here. I had to avoid, and fortunately I managed to catch a 2D version, which was hard to find.

With inflated ticket prices, it's easier getting a huge number for such blockbuster. Logan is still the winner, at least in a fair game where it's R rated and had no 3D. ;)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, peludo said:

Titanic was released on January 16th, 1998 (according BOM). That day, ER was $1=R$1.12. In April it was at R$1.14. So if I am not wrong, Titanic grossed something like R$78-80m, not enough to be on that list.

Edit: I have seen that @Fullbuster previously said it had grossed R$89m.

Yeah. It's weird to think that even with $70m it is not enough to be in the top all-time in local currency after conversion :rofl:

Welcome to the World of Exchange Rates :P

Edited by Fullbuster

Biggest Opening Weeks in Brazil in USD

The Avengers Age of Ultron : $12.6m

Captain America Civil War : $12m

Furious 7 : 11.9m
Twilight BD2 : $11.8m

Suicide Squad : $11.75m
Iron Man 3 : 11.7m
Harry Potter DH2 : 11.6m
The Amazing Spiderman 2 : 11.1m

Beauty and the Beast 2017 : 11m
The Avengers : 10.8m
Twilight BD1 : 10.8m

Batman vs Superman : $10.6m

Logan 8.8m
Noah : 8.8m
X-Men DOFP : 8.4m
Pirates of the Caribbean 4 : 8.4m
Rio : 8.35m

Star Wars TFA : 8.2m
Tropa de Elite 2 : 7.9m

Jurassic World : 7.7m
Rio 2 : 7.6m

Finding Dory : 7.4m

Minions : 7.35m

The Hunger Games Mockingjay Pt 1 : 7.3m
Harry Potter DH1 : 7.3m
Captain America 2 : 6.9m

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Should such an OW lead to at least $30M and R$100M? I don't know how leggy Brazil is... Is a 3x multipler often reached?

Depends on the legs, some movies have a 3x, others have a 4x multiplier (Moana for example, 4.5x) or more (Dory got a 5x multiplier).

Logan is already at 2.95x in local currency.

I would be surprised not to see BATB reach $30m / R$90m.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Yeah. It's weird to think that even with $70m it is not enough to be in the top all-time in local currency after conversion :rofl:

Welcome to the World of Exchange Rates :P

I know well that world ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aristis said:

Should such an OW lead to at least $30M and R$100M? I don't know how leggy Brazil is... Is a 3x multipler often reached?

Brazil used to be a leggy market, but these days, who knows? The same multiple of CW, another front-loaded movie for Brazil's standard would bring $37m, that's where I expect it to finish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Depends on the legs, some movies have a 3x, others have a 4x multiplier (Moana for example, 4.5x) or more (Dory got a 5x multiplier).

Logan is already at 2.95x in local currency.

I would be surprised not to see BATB reach $30m / R$90m.

Both Dory and Moana were released during school vacations, that's why they have these multiples.

13 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Brazil used to be a leggy market, but these days, who knows? The same multiple of CW, another front-loaded movie for Brazil's standard would bring $37m, that's where I expect it to finish.

I agree. Great point btw. This began some time after thursday became the day of release here. I believe took some time for people be aware. I mean, look at these ow... They are well higher than when friday it was the day of release because there are more days to count. So, inflated ow, "worse legs". I think the best way to explain this is with non friday releases in USA. 

Twilight movies had similar runs

If you to count the 5 days of ow of eclipse (which it was a wed release), you have 157M/300M, which is how Brazilian's bo works but with 1 day less.

New moon did 143M/297M

So, with a wed release, the franchise had x1.91 of legs

With a friday release it had x2.07 of legs.

I believe with lower numbers this would be more explicit, but I hope my point is clear.