Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

7 minutes ago, Tower said:

Where's Logan?

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Isn't Logan one of the best openings in Brazil?

I don't see it in the list above. XD

Sorry guys, I forgot logan, this is it :

Biggest Opening Weekends in Brazil in local currency

Captain America Civil War : R$43.8m

Batman vs Superman : 40.6m

Twilight BD Part 2 : 37.4m

The Avengers 2 : 37.1m

Fast&Furious 7 : 36.9m

Suicide Squad : 35.5m

Star Wars VII : 33m

Beauty and the Beast (2017) : R$32.2m

Logan : 25.8m

Iron Man 3 : 25.5m

Deadpool : 25.2m

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 : 24.6m

Os Dez Mandamentos : 24.6m

Finding Dory : 24.4m

Jurassic World : 23.8m

The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 : 23.7m

Fifty Shades of Grey : 23.1m

Minions : 23m

Fantastic Beasts : 22m

The Avengers : 21.7m

X-Men Apocalypse : 20.6m

Noah : 20.1m

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

Im not religious but I pray for a miracle that the exchange rate comes down to 1.7 to 2.0.

Brazil would need to boom again for that to happen, not impossible but that won't be easy. Realistically I expect the ER to come down to 2.8 by year's end and 2.5 in 2018 thank to an improving economy and reforms. 2.5 would be relatively good, the exchange rates wouyld be acceptable with that, some movies could pass $50m/$60m with that for example.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

LOGAN REACHED $23.4m IN BRAZIL

That means 73m in local currency, it passed X-Men DOFP (63m) and X-Men Apocalypse (67m). It also passed Moana to become the highest-grossing movie of the year.

It should pass Deadpool (81m) by Sunday, which is impressive. Will it pass 100m? It's possible but won't be easy to do, it's likely to be around 90m+, far better than expected before its release anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

Im not religious but I pray for a miracle that the exchange rate comes down to 1.7 to 2.0.

I will repost this, it's helpful :

11974543-Boy-and-girl-at-classroom-study

Hey everyone, let's have fun today, we're gonna talk about....the importance of exchange rates! I know that not everyone is necessarily armed to understand the importance of it, how it is vital in terms of box office, particularly for a market that is relatively big and fast-growing, such as Brazil.

1. The local currency is called the Brazilian Real (R$), and when its value increases it is a good thing for the global box office that is calculated in US Dollars.

Let's say, for example that a movie grosses R$100m, if $1 = R$3 then the movie will get $33.3m in USD.

Now let's say the Brazilian currency loses value against the USD -> $1 = R$3.5 (you need more Brazilian Reais to get 1 US Dollar, you need 3.5 instead of 3). With that your movie (R$100m) will only bring $28.6m, instead of $33.3m before, a loss of $4.7m. It's not a small amount!

Now, to show you the impact of it, I'll take a real example : Captain America Civil War.

it was the second highest-grossing movie of all-time in local currency (R$143.5m). In USD it grossed $40.8m

CA CW suffered from a terribly disadvantageous exchange rate -> $1 = R$3.5. Now let's test how much it would gross under several hypothesis :

$1 = R$3.5 : $40.8m (what really happened)

$1 = R$4.1 (historically bad, it happened in January 2016) : $35m (-$5.8m)

$1 = R$3.1 (the current rate) : $46.3m (+5.5m)

$1 = R$2.5 (November 2014) : $57.4m (+16.6m)

$1 = R$2    (May 2013) : $71.8m (+31m)

$1 = R$1.7 (February 2012) : $84.4m (+43.6m)

That's right : Captain America 3 would have grossed $84.4m with the same exchange rate than in in February 2012!!!

As you can see the exchange rate can have a huge impact on the Brazilian Box Office and the strong loss of value of the Brazilian Real in 2015 and January 2016 have been extremely painful for Hollywood movies in the country. The currency really gained values in 2016, coming back to more acceptable level even if the currency is still massively undervalued. Thanks to many trends the currency is likely to gain even more value this year, helping many movies, and likely to go on in 2018. Many movies will benefit from it and that's a relief.

Let's hope it won't stop to improve in the next few weeks, Logan, Beauty and the Beast, Furious 8 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 could need the help. Justice League is likely to be the biggest winner because the currency could have way more value by November.

I hope it was useful and that you liked the lesson, see you later everyone :P

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I'm glad that I predicted that BABT would win the year, I don't see any other movie topping it this year.

I'm not sure about that.....Furious 8, Despicable Me 3 and Justice League have a serious shot if we take previous trends into account. If Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad entered the top 10 of all time then Justice League can do it too, same thing for Despicable Me 3 after the huge success of Minions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Anyone have a list of all-time highest grossing films in R$?

BIGGEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME IN LOCAL CURRENCY

The Avengers 2 : R$146m

Captain America Civil War : R$143m

Fast&Furious 7 : R$142m

Batman vs Superman : R$132.6m

The Avengers : R$129.6m

My Mom is a Character 2 (local) : R$123m

Minions : R$120m

Suicide Squad : R$118m

The Ten Commandments (local) : R$116m

Finding Dory : R$114m

Star Wars The Force Awakens : R$109m

Tropa de Elite 2 : R$103m

Twilight BD2 : R$101m

You can find so many stats and data on the first page of this thread ;) I need to update some parts though...

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

BIGGEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME IN LOCAL CURRENCY

The Avengers 2 : R$146m

Captain America Civil War : R$143m

Fast&Furious 7 : R$142m

Batman vs Superman : R$132.6m

The Avengers : R$129.6m

My Mom is a Character 2 (local) : R$123m

Minions : R$120m

Suicide Squad : R$118m

The Ten Commandments (local) : R$116m

Finding Dory : R$114m

Star Wars The Force Awakens : R$109m

Tropa de Elite 2 : R$103m

Twilight BD2 : R$101m

You can find so many stats and data on the first page of this thread ;) I need to update some parts though...

Thanks! :)

I thought Titanic had grossed over $70,000,000 in USD back in 1998?

Was that somehow not enough to qualify for this list or is there a cut-off? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Thanks! :)

I thought Titanic had grossed over $70,000,000 in USD back in 1998?

Was that somehow not enough to qualify for this list or is there a cut-off? 

Titanic : R$89m

The only explanation is that the ER was very different from now.

• Like 1

Interesting : BATB would be the 5th biggest movie of the year with such an OW, right from the start.

Entering the top 3 this upcoming weekend is possible with good legs. Fifty Shades 2 and Moana should be easily passed. Logan will be harder because it has impressive legs but that should happen eventually.