Eric Furiosa

Elio | June 13, 2025 | Pixar | Adrian Molina (Coco) directs

This was probably decided awhile back, maybe when the SAG talks initially broke down. 

The more I think about it probably not a bad idea to give it some more time to breathe, I know usually Disney originals are met with a lot of cynicism but the vibes weren't great when the teaser came out, and making everyone rush to get it done wouldn't have helped much with public perception, especially off the heels of the Spiderverse controversy.

The kid's gonna sound so much different though when he finally starts promoting it, lol.

• Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if it's more about the 2025 Pixar film is in trouble due to the strikes and Elio being mostly finished fills that gap nicely. 

Could be, but they could’ve delayed Inside Out to 2025.

I feel they just saw they must choose 1 movie to move and solve their strike issues, and they decided to prioritize Inside Out 2 and not the original movie that is already being marketed for a few months. 

This is an insane gap, nearly 2 years between the teaser and the actual release, and Elio would be the only original movie by the Disney conglomerates next year.

Without it, there’s just sequels and remakes / reboots / whatever. Dreadful slate for real.

From my vantage point still got Andrew Stanton's ambitious, likely to flop live action movie for Searchlight at least. Apparently that's started test screening so probably should be ready for sometime next year assuming either it's good to go already or they'll be able to film pickups with actors.

Take this with a grain of salt, but some word is going around the movie:

This guy posted a picture of said pins later on in the thread as evidence. Personally I believe this. You don't push back a movie like this by 15 months unless something is seriously wrong with it and it needs to essentially be remade. I wonder if anything from that first trailer is going to make it into the final movie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This guy posted a picture of said pins later on in the thread as evidence. Personally I believe this. You don't push back a movie like this by 15 months unless something is seriously wrong with it and it needs to essentially be remade.

Well obviously there had to be an issue of some kind for it to be delayed. I wonder if Pete Docter is switching up his managerial style.

22 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but some word is going around the movie:

This guy posted a picture of said pins later on in the thread as evidence. Personally I believe this. You don't push back a movie like this by 15 months unless something is seriously wrong with it and it needs to essentially be remade. I wonder if anything from that first trailer is going to make it into the final movie.

The DF co-creator/editor is backing this up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

The DF co-creator/editor is backing this up.

Ah the discussing film guy. Well I just hope the final product is watchable. 🤷‍♂️

Pixar still hasn't released a bomb on the level of Strange World and Wish. 🤔

Just hope they can make more movies in the future.

However true it is, I hate that this thread is pretty much gonna be condemned to a doomloop until the reviews come out

It would be a shame if it's an extensive enough rewrite that they ultimately just have to replace the Elio voice now. Kid seemed like a real professional promoting it at D23.

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Is Disney just inherently incapable of making a successful sci-fi film?

Family targeted sci-fi has always been a tricky genre though. Titan A.E. was a studio-killing atomic bomb nearly a quarter century ago, for instance.

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Are you...are you being serious here?

I meant animated sci-fi. So not Star Wars or a few Marvel films. But like someone else said, animated/family friendly sci-fi just seems to be fairly unsuccessful for every studio.

Though now that I think about, Wall-E exists and was successful. So that’s one.

I think the movie is one of the greatest of all time, but I do wonder if Wall-E would've still been a hit if released today. At the time it was helped by the innate draw the Pixar brand had, and it had relatively mediocre legs for an original kids film. It's also a rather subdued ancillary franchise compared to the rest of the "popular" Pixar IPs.

Thing about that movie though is it did feel like an organic, creator-driven vision as opposed to a pastiche, which I think is the issue a lot of animated sci-fis run into. Ultimately I do think its critical buzz would still have gotten it over the breakeven hump, and if this movie is in fact having story issues Stanton would be the one to call to help fix them.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 7:20 PM, AniNate said:

I think the movie is one of the greatest of all time, but I do wonder if Wall-E would've still been a hit if released today. At the time it was helped by the innate draw the Pixar brand had, and it had relatively mediocre legs for an original kids film. It's also a rather subdued ancillary franchise compared to the rest of the "popular" Pixar IPs.

Thing about that movie though is it did feel like an organic, creator-driven vision as opposed to a pastiche, which I think is the issue a lot of animated sci-fis run into. Ultimately I do think its critical buzz would still have gotten it over the breakeven hump, and if this movie is in fact having story issues Stanton would be the one to call to help fix them.

It got glowing reviews so I'd say yeah it would have been big even today.

Anyways about Elio: I am a little discouraged that it was delayed so far into the future. I am a little interested in hearing the story behind that, like what were the original things that they had to change. Still somewhat hopeful it will be a good movie though, and a hit.