Eric Loves Rey

Elio | June 13, 2025 | Pixar | Adrian Molina (Coco) directs

Sad that Disney keeps minimizing originals 

I’m sure there’s voice work to be done for Elio, but we all know the reason for the 15 month delay isn’t because of the strike 

It’s because they don’t want to give up on Inside Out 2 and Zootopia 2 next year that should bring way more money for them.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Sad that Disney keeps minimizing originals 

I’m sure there’s voice work to be done for Elio, but we all know the reason for the 15 month delay isn’t because of the strike 

It’s because they don’t want to give up on Inside Out 2 and Zootopia 2 next year that should bring way more money for them.

I wonder if it's more about the 2025 Pixar film is in trouble due to the strikes and Elio being mostly finished fills that gap nicely. 

• Like 2

It is notable that they gave Elio a summer slot now instead of a March date. I wouldn't mind TS5 being delayed a year (or forever tbh).

Yeah, it is lame that the original gets the shaft, but it probably is the best business move. There are still questions about Pixar's stability despite Elemental making a comeback, and if Elio comes out after two big Disney franchise hits that gives them a bit more of a safety net to fail.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

It is notable that they gave Elio a summer slot now instead of a March date. I wouldn't mind TS5 being delayed a year (or forever tbh).

Yeah, it is lame that the original gets the shaft, but it probably is the best business move. There are still questions about Pixar's stability despite Elemental making a comeback, and if Elio comes out after two big Disney franchise hits that gives them a bit more of a safety net to fail.

The fact they gave Elio summer 2025 is a sign of confidence but I wonder if Disney is moving away from having two Pixar films or two WDAS films every other year. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Pixar really hasn't been able to catch a break with that strategy, some kind of force majeure always ends up screwing it up. Probably wouldn't hurt to dial things back though so they can pace themselves better and not overuse resources.

I think the two movies every other year was imposed on them because we don't see it from WDAS who only missed a year was because Pixar had two films out in a year.

FWIW still have some original Pixar goods coming out relatively soon with the Win or Lose miniseries. That actually does seem more appropriate though for the timeframe Elio was scheduled for so wouldn't be surprised if that got delayed until then. Also wouldn't draw attention away from Wish.

Edited by AniNate

I mean they're evidently not gonna be able to have Elio ready by March, so they're not gonna be able to have three next year regardless. Would hardly be the first movie to be delayed after a teaser was already out. They haven't really promoted it since then so it's not like it's a huge investment lost. 

Edited by AniNate

Just now, Bob Train said:

Is Zootopia 2 still set for November 2024? I feel like I haven't heard anything about it lol.

It hasn't technically ever been announced for that date, the only evidence is it's apparently doing test screenings. I'm sure Disney is holding off on announcing any new project dates until the strike is resolved.

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The move was a terrible decision. This was their one 2024 movie that had legitimate surprise breakout potential. Now they are betting the entire house on IO2 and DP3 huge, because nothing else can be. And it’s just IO2 if DP3 goes 2025. 

Pretty sure the reason why it's not Thanksgiving 2024 is because that's Zootopia 2, and if Deadpool 3 moves. The animated sequels are all they got left.