YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

Also, I saw this last night. Didn't feel like waiting two months like I did with the original.

Very much enjoyed this one. It felt like a natural progression of what happened in the first movie with its own things to say even if a lot of the story beats are very very similar. The emotional moments don't hit as hard, but that's fine. I didn't need to be caught ugly crying in a full theatre. Didn't (or does) help that the emotional moments got undermined by the fly buzzing in front of the projector or the random guy who started snoring in the second half, but oh well.

At least it made for a memorable experience. Apparently the theatre I went to might be shutting down in a few years for condo redevelopment, so might as well go when I can (and feel like it).

On 6/16/2024 at 11:00 AM, John Marston said:

They played it really safe here. Wonder if they actually took the criticisms of Turning Red “not being appropriate for kids” to heart 

Now that I have seen Inside Out 2, I don't know how it's exactly safer. Guess the elephant in the room is that Turning Red acknowledges menstruation is a thing. And that physical attraction is a thing. Whether that's inappropriate for kids I dunno.

I don't think they were going that route anyway because the director is make so w/e

I Haven't seen a theater this packed since Super Mario Bros last year... and for a subtitled screening no less, witch is not normal in my city.

Really liked the movie. I ma have even liked it a little bit more than IO1.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 4

The yelling match over I02 Opening weekend here  is just bizarre.

ANybody who thinks 85 million is a poor opening in today's reduced theatrical audience marketplace is living in another reality.

85 million is the new 100 Million. I am glad I02 has such a massive opening, and of course whether a opening is good or not depends a lot on the budget, but 100 Million openings are going to much fewer then they were in the past.

I guess some people have a hard time accepting all the changes to box office that have happened over the past five years. 

It's good news for Disney after a very poor year last year.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The yelling match over I02 Opening weekend here  is just bizarre.

ANybody who thinks 85 million is a poor opening in today's reduced theatrical audience marketplace is living in another reality.

85 million is the new 100 Million. I am glad I02 has such a massive opening, and of course whether a opening is good or not depends a lot on the budget, but 100 Million openings are going to much fewer then they were in the past.

I guess some people have a hard time accepting all the changes to box office that have happened over the past five years. 

It's good news for Disney after a very poor year last year.

Everything depends on context. 93m was terrible for Justice League. 85m for Inside Out 2 would have been really meh considering the universal acclaim for last one and strong reviews for this one. Anyway its all hypothetical. Just ask MCU fans what would they say about Deadpool opening to "just" thor 4 levels. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Everything depends on context. 93m was terrible for Justice League. 85m for Inside Out 2 would have been really meh considering the universal acclaim for last one and strong reviews for this one. Anyway its all hypothetical. Just ask MCU fans what would they say about Deadpool opening to "just" thor 4 levels. 

Justice League was in 2017, pre 2020, so it's apples and ornanges.

The point I am trying to make is that 85 is not a terrible opening. it is the new 100 Million. Of   course so much depends on budget but sitll acting like 85 million is automatically a bad opening is ignoring the huge reduction in theater attedence that has happened since 2019, and things are never going back to the way they were.

It is an incredible opening for I02, of course, and this size opening is happening a lot less then it once did.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hopefully this was a once in a lifetime situation and Pixar never has to deal with it again

Why was this a once in a lifetime situation?

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hopefully this was a once in a lifetime situation and Pixar never has to deal with it again

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Why was this a once in a lifetime situation?

yeah I'm a bit confused too. Is it COVID that is once in a lifetime?

The Covid + streaming handicap that clearly no longer applies.

Don't see why this discourse is continuing, it opened to $155 million so it doesn't matter anymore whether $85 mil was "good" or not.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The Covid + streaming handicap that clearly no longer applies.

Don't see why this discourse is continuing, it opened to $155 million so it doesn't matter anymore whether $85 mil was "good" or not.

I strongly disagree with streamng handicap no longer applies.

The loss of theater audience to streaming is permanent. Theartical attendkence has take a huge hit.

Yes, there will be the occasional film like I02 which will do pre streaming  numbers. But the key word is occasional.

And come to think of it, even before Covid the day of everything Pixar brought out being a big hit were long gone. It has not has the "Rolls ROyce" image it once did, lost that when it broke the one film a year rule it once had. 

I am not knocking Pixar, but now it is like any other studio with a mixed bag of films. Of course it had it's fanboys who still think everything the make is brilliant, but they are a lot fewer then they used to be.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am not knocking Pixar, but now it is like any other studio with a mixed bag of films.

It isn't though. When it comes to mainstream American animation studios, it's still the best of the bunch.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rihrey said:

It isn't though. When it comes to mainstream American animation studios, it's still the best of the bunch.

I agree, but they still have a mixed bag of product.s. The days when everything they made was almost a automatic win for best Animated film are long over."

Sorry, fanboys, but that is the way it is.

I don't agree with the notion that a good or bad opening is determined by budget. Whatever the studio spends on a movie is their problem. Let's say a studio inexplicably spends $180M or something on a horror film and said horror film opens to $40M and legs to $100M to $120M. You can't say that's a bad opening. It's just the studio's fault for spending too much on it.

The same logic applies to the upcoming expensive as hell Mission Impossible. Let's say its true the budget is nearing $400M, but it goes on to earn $900M. I'm going to call that a successful performance. It's just not successful for the studio , which, as a box office nerd and a customer, I don't really give a crap about. Again, that part of it is their problem.

Back to Inside Out 2, yeah it's irrelevant how one would label an $85M opening now but I do believe everyone is allowed to feel however they want about a particular number. Who cares, unless it's over the top silly (which saying $85M would be underwhelming isn't, not by a long shot).

Edited by Insomnia

8 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I'm going to call that a successful performance. It's just not successful for the studio , which, as a box office nerd and a customer, I don't really give a crap about. Again, that part of it is their problem.

Well I'm not sure what meaning "good" or "bad" practically entails in regards to box office receipts beyond how the producers can reasonably be assumed to interpret the numbers. Granted it's not always as simple as how much the movie made compared to its (publicly reported) budget, but if a movie's financial performance has an adverse impact on the career of its creator or the solvency of its studio I don't think it can be reasonably considered good.

In this case the $85 mil thing is all about personal expectations, and no real intelligent analysis can be made from that. It would still have been an improvement for Pixar and with the movie's word of mouth it almost certainly still would be legging out to a very respectable and encouraging total gross. It just looks worse now that it has opened to a much bigger number.

pixar is still a reasonably solid studio imo but their 2000s run was straight up unreal

will probably see this one of these coming weekends (it's coming out this weekend here but I've got the flu so we'll see how I feel come weekend), but still waiting for a film that makes me think it's a pixar classic - last one was coco for me (Soul got kinda close but the last act was really rushed and just didn't hit).

• Like 1

After seeing the film I’ll say I think it’s good, but man after rewatching the original it lacks the depth and profoundness of that film.The scene with joy in the memory dump in particular is one of the most intimate scenes ever put to animation and the whole film after that juxtaposed with Michael Giacchino’s memorable music playing is one of the most intense climaxes of any film whether it be live action or animated.It had a lot to live up to.Although I will say there are some good stuff in the sequel as well,like the concept of sense of self or some scenes with anxiety but the film overall felt less mature.Whereas the original felt like it was for parents and adults the sequel felt like it was for teens or young adults.But perhaps that was intentional?…Being that that’s Riley’s age, but I don’t know in the original she was eleven and it was through joy’s perspective in the sequel it was through hers as well, but maybe more focused on Riley? I don’t know,but I still think it worked and was slightly better than I thought it’d be based on my high expectations from the original.

Edited by Melosh

I was so certain that Despicable Me 4 was a lock for the highest grossing family film this summer.

But after this movie made $30M on a Wednesday, I may have to rethink that...