YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I didn’t understand the Turning Red reception at all if I’m being honest (that was peak “it’s fine” through and through for me), but I do realize I’m also not the target audience.

I do think Raya was way too acclaimed in hindsight, but at the time I was like yeah, that’s another win for WDAS. Just didn’t hold up at all though really. 

I just looked and RAYA HAS A 93%?!?

I know Rotten Tomatoes is just an aggregate of positive-negative, but I really didn't enjoy that film, and don't know how more critics were positive with that film than a lot of other Disney films.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I didn’t understand the Turning Red reception at all if I’m being honest (that was peak “it’s fine” through and through for me), but I do realize I’m also not the target audience.

I do think Raya was way too acclaimed in hindsight, but at the time I was like yeah, that’s another win for WDAS. Just didn’t hold up at all though really. 

Get out of my house.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I just looked and RAYA HAS A 93%?!?

I know Rotten Tomatoes is just an aggregate of positive-negative, but I really didn't enjoy that film, and don't know how more critics were positive with that film than a lot of other Disney films.

When I saw it I would have probably said “86% on RT”, but then I watched it again and was like “oh… this is really mid huh?”. I wouldn’t be surprised if lots of critics woulda been in the same boat. It’s a movie that “in theory” is ticking all the boxes it should so I feel like it can be deceptive at first that it doesn’t have that much that makes it stand out. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

When I saw it I would have probably said “86% on RT”, but then I watched it again and was like “oh… this is really mid huh?”. I wouldn’t be surprised if lots of critics woulda been in the same boat. It’s a movie that “in theory” is ticking all the boxes it should so I feel like it can be deceptive at first that it doesn’t have that much that makes it stand out. 

This is what I mean by not being able to trust critics. It really feels like critic reviews, more than ever, are a timestamp of the culture in that exact moment, than an actual reflection of the quality of the films they're about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

Get out of my house.

I started watching TR on a plane and found it to be the first Pixar I thought was so dull that I quit about half way through. I eventually picked it back up, and the second half is much better, but still extremely overrated for me. I don’t really feel like “well, I’m not the target audience” should give it a pass either since I love tons of movies I’m not the “target audience” for… 

• Like 1

I liked Raya well enough when I saw it, though I'm sure the sentimental value of being the first movie I saw in a theater post COVID was a factor. 

Everyone has their opinions and sometimes a movie just clicks for a general audience in a way it doesn't for critics and vice versa. Heck, Pixar's biggest merchandise vehicle has never gotten anything better than the 70s.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Of course original animation can still do well btw. We just need a truly great received one post covid era. So frustrating in hindsight that Encanto wasn’t a year later. I genuinely believe it would have beaten Frozen at the box office out of the covid era.  

Hell no, the level of success of frozen worldwide is way too big to be beaten by Encanto.

Just look what frozen franchise has done, Encanto could  never

https://x.com/idina_here/status/1725223976878690390?s=46&t=Vzk8yNg5TRWqAT0WHFHGyA

3 minutes ago, Mau said:

Hell no, the level of success of frozen worldwide is way too big to be beaten by Encanto.

Just look what frozen franchise has done, Encanto could  never

https://x.com/idina_here/status/1725223976878690390?s=46&t=Vzk8yNg5TRWqAT0WHFHGyA

That’s over the course of many years… the tiktok craze of Encanto was IN SA NE. I work in social media and don’t know if I’ve seen another pop culture thing quite like it on Tik Tok. There were some mind boggling stats around the time too that I forget now. Not to mention it beating everything in streaming of 2022 except Stranger things, when the entire top ten was otherwise TV shows consisting of dozens of hours (Encanto is 90 mins). 

Based on how we’ve seen tiktok influence box office since we came out of the covid era, there’s no doubt in my mind That Encanto could have touched 500 DOM if it caught on like that while it was in theaters. And not enough people were willing to go to the theaters when it released, so it’s a moot point, 

I don't think it would've beaten frozen, but Zootopia might've been in play. Even that has been a tall order of course still for most animated movies post COVID

In any case, Disney's predicament now would be more or less the same. Would be great if Migration ends up a surprise hit to both establish that original movies can still succeed if executed well and also to put some more pressure on Disney to tighten up their quality control. Even if they won't admit it, have to imagine it'd be pretty humiliating if the Illumination movie overshadows them at the end of the year.

Edited by AniNate

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That’s over the course of many years… the tiktok craze of Encanto was IN SA NE. I work in social media and don’t know if I’ve seen another pop culture thing quite like it on Tik Tok. There were some mind boggling stats around the time too that I forget now. Not to mention it beating everything in streaming of 2022 except Stranger things, when the entire top ten was otherwise TV shows consisting of dozens of hours (Encanto is 90 mins). 

Based on how we’ve seen tiktok influence box office since we came out of the covid era, there’s no doubt in my mind That Encanto could have touched 500 DOM if it caught on like that while it was in theaters. And not enough people were willing to go to the theaters when it released, so it’s a moot point, 

Now imagine frozen during tiktok era. It would have been even bigger. Lets be honest tiktok inflates perception. Ofc Encanto was huge, but never at frozen level. And streaming has proved that indeed, Encanto would have donde way better, but even Moana has passed Encanto in disney plus trends and nielsen data

Encanto was even bigger than Frozen if we go by the music charts… Frozen never had a #1 hot 100 hit and additional top tens. 

Bruno got played on top 40 radio without even a pop mix which is total insanity for context of how massive that was. It’s widely known as the most successful Disney song ever for a reason. And I have a hard time believing frozen could’ve been any bigger on TT if that was a thing. The TT stats for Encanto were nuts 

Edited by MovieMan89

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Encanto was even bigger than Frozen if we go by the music charts… Frozen never had a #1 hot 100 hit and additional top tens. 

Bruno got played on top 40 radio without even a pop mix which is total insanity for context of how massive that was. It’s widely known as the most successful Disney song ever for a reason. And I have a hard time believing frozen could’ve been any bigger on TT if that was a thing. The TT stats for Encanto were nuts 

Let it to has almost 3 billion reproductions on youtube. Encanto falls even behind Coco songs in spanish! Plus encanto flopped in China where the situation about covid was fine when the film was released, and it has never been a huge sensation in asia, where frozen is huge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think Frozen and Encanto are fully comparable just due to the differences with how music was consumed in 2014 vs how it's consumed now. If we're just going by Hot 100 hits, Encanto did have the scales tipped in its favour. Disney released all the MVs for the songs not too long after release and had lyric videos when the soundtrack first hit, and it's a lot easier to chart all of your tracks from an album with how big streaming was in 2022 compared to 2014. Frozen has longevity in it's favour though. Frozen's songs didn't peak as high, but on average they actually stayed on the charts for longer than the songs on Encanto did (Bruno did 20 weeks, but Let It Go did 33 weeks, First Time in Forever did 19 weeks, and Do You Want To Build A Snowman charted for 18 weeks). Frozen's soundtrack sales completely dwarf that of Encanto's, but the former came out at a time when album sales in general were much more favourable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will just say all you have to do is look at Moana and the official streaming numbers for Encanto to know what I mean. Nielson said nearly 30 billion streaming minutes logged for Encanto in 2022 vs 11 for Turning Red (the next closest).  Or 270 million complete viewings. Bonkers. Surely nothing like it before or since for a movie on streaming. 

Now Moana was a fraction of the pop culture impact of Encanto, yet still grossed $260m DOM in 2016 prices. There’s no way an Encanto in November 2022 free of covid isn’t doing 400+ DOM (hence beating Frozen). That’s a lowball, let’s be real. I do think it could have won WW too because North and South America would have overcompensated for Asia’s likely under-compensation. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The problem is, how long a Disney song is on the "Top 100" doesn't matter. What matters is, are kids singing the songs and is the films sticking with them for years beyond?

Songs like 'I just Can't Wait to be King' and 'Poor Unfortunate Souls' would never make it to today's top 100, but they're inarguably great songs for the films they're in. I remember them. You remember them. It's the reason why both films were remade.

Encanto didn't have a ton of memorable songs like that. Only 'Bruno. Wish doesn't even have a 'Bruno' as far as I can tell. The songwriters were too busy trying to make chart toppers. 

• Thanks 1

Surface Pressure and The Family Madrigal were massive too on social and the charts for the former. Surface Pressue was a bigger Hot 100 hit than Let It Go for context. Keep in mind the hot 100 is all encompassing of radio formats, streaming platforms, and sales outlets as well, so it’s not like hot 100 is just measuring one thing. Honestly, did some of y’all sleep through Encanto-mania… 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Surface Pressure and The Family Madrigal were massive too on social and the charts for the former. Surface Pressue was a bigger Hot 100 hit than Let It Go for context. Keep in mind the hot 100 is all encompassing of radio formats, streaming platforms, and sales outlets as well, so it’s not like hot 100 is just measuring one thing. Honestly, did some of y’all sleep through Encanto-mania… 

We are very aware of encanto-mania, but come on! Frozen is the biggest blu ray seller beating avatar, frozen is the biggest itunes seller, elsa doll has beaten barbie (the only doll to do it). Mirabel never achieved that. And tbh streaming data is inflated due to kids rewatching the movie many many times during pandemic

• Like 4

Honestly, the pop culture impact at the time of both is probably pretty equivalent, but in different ways. Particularly the key demographics. Little girls for example went batshit crazy for Elsa and Let It Go, whereas Encanto had all these Gen Z/Millennials cosplaying on TikTok and streaming the hell out of the soundtrack.

I give Encanto the edge for the box office because it has 10 years of inflation of course. And statistically, no song competes with Bruno as Disney’s biggest. It dwarfed A Whole New World, which was the only other time in their long music history they scored a #1 hit. 

Edited by MovieMan89