Grebacio

Weekend Thread | Actuals: Smile 22.6, DWD 6.85, TWK 6.8, Avatar 5, Bros 4.8

BROS feels like the dying breath of the kind of studio comedies that used to come out in theaters, (that people would now just wait to watch at home) and relied less on star power than giving an up and coming comedian a break out role. Even if Eichner was more of a name similar to Schumer or Nanjiani, it would have struggled.

It's still cool to see that Horror as a genre has made it through the lockdown largely unscathed relative to other genres. That preview number doesn't quite lock in $20m, but Paramount hasn't missed a beat yet this year with their wide releases.

Just now, Ezen Baklattan said:

BROS feels like the dying breath of the kind of studio comedies that used to come out in theaters, (that people would now just wait to watch at home) and relied less on star power than giving an up and coming comedian a break out role. Even if Eichner was more of a name similar to Schumer or Nanjiani, it would have struggled.

It's still cool to see that Horror as a genre has made it through the lockdown largely unscathed relative to other genres. That preview number doesn't quite lock in $20m, but Paramount hasn't missed a beat yet this year with their wide releases.

What the mother father cocker spaniel are you talking about????

13 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

is it nearly as good as it follows?

the trailer is... bad

I thought it was much better.

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Now, I fully stand by that if Hocus Pocus 2 was theatrical this weekend, it would have been #1. Guessing it would have had a similar run to Jack Black's Goosebumps.

Hocus Pocus 2 would’ve been number 1 but it would’ve opened way higher than that. Don’t usually see this level of hype online for a streaming film. 

• Like 1

I'd argue HP2 would have easily passed the century mark. Maybe even to like 130M. The Quorum's Awareness and Interest was sky high and both Disney+ and Disney's own marketing push (they have Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle dressed up like the Sanderson sisters this year at the Parks, Hocus Pocus merch has been all over the place since like 2020) has helped elevate the first movie from a cult hit to a legit franchise a la Nightmare Before Christmas. It's a real missed opportunity, but I guess Disney didn't realize what could have been when they greenlit the film way back when.

• Like 2

That's what's so odd to be about putting such big event films straight to streaming with no theatrical run at all. HP2 could have made 100M WW (if not more), and THEN Disney could have put it on Disney + for their catalogue. Same with things like Glass Onion (or any other streaming movie that has a built-in fanbase; I'm thinking also about Disenchanted). They are leaving so much money on the table, are they not? Or is there something I'm missing?

• Like 2