Grebacio

Weekend Thread | Actuals: Smile 22.6, DWD 6.85, TWK 6.8, Avatar 5, Bros 4.8

Horror looking pleasingly robust right now. Sure not a big hit for Smile, but is going to do well enough to be into the black just on it's in-theatre run alone. Pretty good sequence starting to build up this year of modest to good hits within the genre without having to just rely on big names like Scream and Halloween. 

Bros isn't out in the UK for a couple more weeks and my friend and I were going to check it out based on what we thought was a pretty solid trailer. That said it certainly comes across as fairly Netflix-ey and it probably says quite a bit if the movie is trying to position itself as groundbreaking that a couple of straight dudes like us are going along to it and not thinking of anything as noteworthy: good for the genre in general, but not good if films like this want to just keep positioning themselves as somewhat exceptional. Seems a big budget as others have said for what it is.

Hocus Pocus 2 shows the lottery of choosing streaming. In hindsight the choice not to show in theatres is madness, especially given the near total clear road it would have had for a potentially long run. Disney don't know that at the time though, indicates it can be a tough gig for producers. I don't know they knew how beloved the original was...indeed it seems like many people who fell between generational gaps didn't know either.

17 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

At this point, some cases it's theaters fault.

We know for months now that Netflix was looking for a wide theatrical release for Glass Onion with 30-45 days of exclusivity. 

From what i've read, it's the exhibitors that are being extremelly difficult on the terms and making everything hard to close a deal. 

The whole thing just looks like tantrum against Netflix at this point, since the exhibitors accept the ridiculous day-on-date for Halloween Ends and will screen the movie normally because "Universal was very supportive during the pandemic".

Why do you assume it is exhibitors being unreasonable? I can think of at least one sticking point that Netflix is unreasonable about; not releasing numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if exhibitors don't want to do wide releases where numbers aren't reported, because then the big studios will also want that (and probably to pick and choose, so they can hide their bombs, while using big numbers to promote their successes). 

5 hours ago, AJG said:

It’s because they still go above and beyond to lock gay actors out of roles playing straight leads. How  there’s 150 lead superhero roles and only 3 are played by an openly gay actor is wild to me. 

That's pretty close to being representative of the gay community. As for locking out gay actors.. Neil Patrick Harris is GAY and has played a ton of straight roles, including himself, lol. 

1 hour ago, KC7 said:

Maybe not to you, but it does mean something to plenty of people. And yes, the "they may not have been big movies" you breezed past is the entire point. There's a difference between gay stories--and gay love stories that aren't tragedies--only offered to a niche market in small arthouse theaters and home releases, and those stories being given the major push and release countless straight stories are. In other words, treated the same way and not just siloed to the LGBT audience. This movie wasn't intended to just be LGBT cinema for LGBT people. It's was an attempt at more authentic LGBT cinema for everyone.

I don't particularly care for Eichner and didn't love the premise, but I was still hoping for the best, even if I had a feeling that one of its best aspects is the same thing that would hold it back. So many gay men's stories these days are written by women or filtered through a female perspective. The aforementioned "Love Simon"? Based on a book by a woman. "Fire Island"? Transposed gay characters onto "Pride and Prejudice." (and even then there was that Twitter incident where a woman complained it failed the Bechdel test, until Alison Bechdel herself shot her down). The bestselling, film-adaptation-in-the-works "Red, White & Royal Blue"?  Book written by a woman (or they may identify as nonbinary now). Netflix's much-gushed-over "Heartstopper"? Woman author. That dreadful "Single All the Way" movie on Netflix? Really a Lifetime/Hallmark movie swapping a gay couple for a straight one. For better or worse, Bros is a movie with a more authentic gay sensibility and perspective than is usually offered to a wider, not-just-LGBT audience these days (even if it's one specific type of gay man's experience--but specificity can be a very good thing in storytelling). It's not at all surprising it wouldn't have appeal to an audience that's more comfortable with a safer, less authentic take on gay men's lives and relationships.

I think a fundamental reason why LGBT movies don't get a wider audience like "straight stories" is because LGBT stories center entirely on sexuality (maybe not SO much for the T). If you take most of the top "straight" romcoms and romance films and swap the woman for a man (or swap the man for a woman), it wouldn't change the story. If you plop a woman into the lead in Bros, the story completely falls apart, because the story is about sexuality, not romance. It's a SexCom, not a RomCom. You can find plenty of straight SexComs, but they are typically aimed at teens, and usually involve actors playing teens. Apatow is great at adult SexComs. But the success of SexComs is that straight dudes aren't watching for the plot, and IF they are, it's because they are putting themselves into the shoes of one of the characters. So how can you appeal to a straight audience with a gay SexCom? They can't relate to the story, there's no eye candy. Jokes may be great, but you can watch gay standups without seeing a bunch of guys giving a blowjob (that scene in the trailer is why I didn't see the film; too raunchy for me). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Not really my place to say what is or is not important in terms of representation here, but the whole "first romcom with an all LGBTQ cast" didn't really make waves or make a ton of sense, the winning move for Bros would to have been to cast a big straight actor as Eichner's love interest like Chris Hemsworth or something and advertise it as a pure multi-quadrant comedy in the original Apatow Knocked Up/Trainwreck vein. 

The problem with that is you can’t cast a huge star and make them the second banana to a much less widely known actor. Most would not even accept the role except for maybe Chris Evans and he would probably refuse because he would want his brother to get the part. The big star would need to be the main character and I can’t think of any who would be believable in the role due to the character’s neuroticism and matter of fact openness.

That being said, the movie itself is very funny and we really need comedies to be performing better as they are already a rare event at cinemas nowadays. Bros won’t be changing that trajectory unfortunately.

Edited by LonePirate

Honestly IMO Bros would've done better with literally any other out actor than Eichner in his role (yes, I know he wrote the part for himself). He's not a big name but he's famous enough that a lot of people already have their opinions of his in-your-face brand of humor. Don't think many people were ever on board with the concept of "Billy on the Street: Movie Star" in retrospect. Some actors just belong and fit better in supporting roles.

Edited by filmlover

@krla

is onto something. Romance is a main reason why slash shipping (male/male) and fem-slash shipping  (female/female) are so popular. Shippers see romance in same sex characters interaction and take it to the next level in their writing. It isn't about sexuality. When  Cap says "when I had nothing, I had Bucky", it's an emotional line that could be interrpeted as romantic if you want. Coupled with gorgeous looking actors, great chemistry and moments where they look into each other's eyes or say suggestive lines that can be interpreted any way you like, no wonder thes epairings are more popular than canon het couples. 

PointlessAdoredColt-size_restricted.gif

NknF.gif

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

anigif_sub-buzz-4371-1616204661-1.gif

tumblr_inline_ptg0hqjLdf1vhssku_540.gif

IMO, movies centered around gay romance should recapture Sambucky, Stucky, Magneto/Xavier dynamics if they want to become big hits. It's all about knowing looks, flirting, inuendo, suggestive lines, heart-fluttering moments. Except that this time there will be a payoff. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

I think people are underestimating how off-putting Billy Eichner is to a lot of people.  He's very partisan political, so his conservative-bashing is eliminating a sizeable chunk of possible moviegoers to start with.  

Add in the people who agree with him on politics/social issues, but think he comes across like an ***hole, and have no interest in spending 2 hrs watching him, and you have the paltry box office.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AJG said:

It’s because they still go above and beyond to lock gay actors out of roles playing straight leads. How  there’s 150 lead superhero roles and only 3 are played by an openly gay actor is wild to me. 

Come on now. Whether they were "openly gay" or not, the number of times gay actors have played straight roles has completely dwarfed the number of times straight actors have played gay roles.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/10/box-office-smile-dont-worry-darling-harry-styles-1235131625/

SATURDAY AM: Refresh for chart and more analysis Paramount and other studios are calling Smile at $19M opening. Similar to last weekend with New Line’s Don’t Worry Darling, another genre pic, this R-rated horror film has received a B- CinemaScore and a severe 69%/53% definite recommend on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak; a standard audience reaction for such fare. We see one studio calling Smile at $20M, and frankly with this audience score, and the front-loaded nature of horror films, only tonight will determine if this goes up. Last weekend, everyone got excited about the initial numbers they were seeing for Don’t Worry Darling, got excited and called the weekend at $20M on Saturday AM before it eased. Smile‘s Friday is $8.2M, which includes Thursday’s $2M previews.

Demos as is typical for R-rated horror here are 28% guys over 25, 27% women under 25, 25% guys under 25, and 20% women over 25. If you were at the AMC Porter Ranch last night in California, you wouldn’t know it was the doldrums of the fall box office as the place was hoppin’ like a 1920s speakeasy. The 18-34 bunch showed up at 73%. Diversity demos are 32% Caucasian, 32% Latino and Hispanic, 20% Black and 9% Asian, 8% other — Smile was always expected to play vibrantly across all demos. Best markets were in the West and Southwest. Eight of the top ten theaters were in the LA market. PLF screens drove 25% of ticket sales so far.

In second, Don’t Worry Darling at 4,121 theaters is eyeing a $7.4M second weekend, -62% for a 10-day of $32.9M. That’s in early AM estimates. Domestic outlook for this Florence Pugh-Harry Styles-Chris Pine starring, Olivia Widle directed New Line movie is $50M.

Universal’s wide release of the Billy Eichner co-scripted/starring LGBTQ romantic comedy Bros is coming up quite short in No. 4 with $4.75M, outpegged by TriStar’s The Woman King in No. 3 with $6.4M. Still, bravo for Uni for having the guts to make this movie, and put it out on the big screen. Friday was $1.8M with those who turned out for the film giving it a solid A Cinemascore and 80% on PostTrak, and a 69% recommend. Guys showed up at 60%, with 63% between 25-44. Diversity demos were 61% Caucasian, 19% Latino and Hispanic, 6% Black, and 14% Asian/other. The movie was always expected to play the big cities and here we see that NY, LA and San Francisco have all the top ten theatrical runs. Middle America and the South underperformed norms, we’re told. PLF screens only repped 3% of the pic’s B.O. to date.

lmao Black Panther's gonna open to 19M at this rate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Smiley said:

https://deadline.com/2022/10/box-office-smile-dont-worry-darling-harry-styles-1235131625/

lmao Black Panther's gonna open to 19M at this rate

Think I was talking with Jat before DWD opened how I wanted 4 in a row 19s

Smile probably gonna ruin though tbh

Smile should have opened bigger given that Paramount has been treating it like they have the new Exorcist on their hands. Trailers that started playing in front of Top Gun, viral stunts, endless online ads, endless billboards, TV spots. Geez I almost fell for it until I saw it and realised it's a poor man's The Ring. 

43 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@krla

is onto something. Romance is a main reason why slash shipping (male/male) and fem-slash shipping  (female/female) are so popular. Shippers see romance in same sex characters interaction and take it to the next level in their writing. It isn't about sexuality. When  Cap says "when I had nothing, I had Bucky", it's an emotional line that could be interrpeted as romantic if you want. Coupled with gorgeous looking actors, great chemistry and moments where they look into each other's eyes or say suggestive lines that can be interpreted any way you like, no wonder thes epairings are more popular than canon het couples. 

Reveal hidden contents

IMO, movies centered around gay romance should recapture Sambucky, Stucky, Magneto/Xavier dynamics if they want to become big hits. It's all about knowing looks, flirting, inuendo, suggestive lines, heart-fluttering moments. Except that this time there will be a payoff. 

In other words: for gay movies to be profitable, they should be made by and for straight women.

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

In other words: for gay movies to be profitable, they should be made by and for straight women.

Know your audience. Who is the biggest target demo that has interest in this topic? If it's women by all means target them. Do you want successful movie or not? 

31 minutes ago, Eric Smiley said:

Universal’s wide release of the Billy Eichner co-scripted/starring LGBTQ romantic comedy Bros is coming up quite short in No. 4 with $4.75M, outpegged by TriStar’s The Woman King in No. 3 with $6.4M

Is that a pegging joke for the gay romcom? I don't think Deadline ever uses the term "outpegged" otherwise

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would be funny if the $19M streak also extends to next week too. I think Lyle will hit $20M though, the marketplace is starved for a family movie right now.

Yes, but...have you seen the price of groceries for families lately?

I don't know that a singing crocodile gets so many people out that they fill in for the normal going subscriber base that will pass on the movie...(unless we see a big movie ticket deal put out this week - but deals have been few and far between since spring)...

In fact, $19M and $19M for both openers could be incredibly possible...

Edited by TwoMisfits