I would have like to see this ending:

Former Dexter Producer Clyde Phillips Reveals How He Planned to End the Series

http://eonline.com/news/461558/chills-former-dexter-producer-clyde-phillips-reveals-how-he-planned-to-end-the-series

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies.  Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

• Like 5

Im not going to lie, that was probably one of the worst series finales ever. Wtf he just pretends to die and gives up his son forever?

How can an actor who was part of Six Feet Under which had arguably the best series finale ever be part of this series finale which is one of the worst I have ever seen? Such utter bullshit the way they ended this series, I am genuinely pissed.

Terrible ending, it makes no sense. How can Dexter kill someone in the police station and walk way. Even if a self defense, the police do not let you go quickly. The police need to report. How can Dexter kill his sister and carry the body out the hospital without anybody knowing. Dexter just gives up his kid? He has a half brother and sister and grandparents that will not be able to see him again. By far the worst season of Dexter. Fucking terrible.

F

• Like 1

Oh lord. I actually wasn't minding this finale until that goddamn lumberjack final scene. You mean he didn't kill himself? :angry: What the literal fuck?!? He deserved to die and it felt right that he had finally accepted that the only way to protect the people he cared about was to end his life. But no, he just has to go and survive. UGH!!! Not to mention how in the hell did he survive driving straight into a hurricane? I guess Dexter is literally superhuman now? :rolleyes:

Deb dying was absolutely devastating. Even when I haven't enjoyed this show the past 4 seasons I've almost always enjoyed Deb. She grew into one of my most liked TV characters ever. I'm not ashamed to admit I shed tears for her this episode. That's why I'm so angry Dexter still chose not to kill himself. How could he possibly live with himself after being responsible for her death? Rita's death was bad enough, but then to not learn anything from it and get the one person who was always there for him killed too? He should have either killed himself or turned himself  in and gotten the death penalty. I simply can't accept the fact that he's still alive after all this.

What an overall awful season and way to end the show. I can't hep but wonder what would have happened if most of the original creative team hadn't left after season 4. This could have gone down as one of the best series of all time, but the writers post season 4 just didn't step up to the show's caliber on a consistent basis. There were good things post season 4, but overall it's been nothing but inconsistency since then. I think I will choose to just remember this show as seasons 1-4, maybe 1-5. It's so much better that way.

• Like 1

Terrible ending, it makes no sense. How can Dexter kill someone in the police station and walk way. Even if a self defense, the police do not let you go quickly. The police need to report. How can Dexter kill his sister and carry the body out the hospital without anybody knowing. Dexter just gives up his kid? He has a half brother and sister and grandparents that will not be able to see him again. By far the worst season of Dexter. Fucking terrible.

F

Exactly. It would take the District Attorney about 2 seconds to realize Dexter was Deb's sister and he wasn't assigned to the case. There is no way they would allow the brother of the victim to collect evidence from the killer, the defense would have a field day with the conflict of interest. Dexter would have had to undergo some serious questioning, he wouldn't just be able to walk away because a couple of detectives unconvincingly said it was clearly self defense.

So many holes, so much stuff that is just plain wrong this entire season. It's like they figured since the show was ending they didn't have to try and just coasted with a half-assed effort.

I gave up pretty much after season 2, I liked the show but just had no real desire to continue. The review in the AV Club I read said this finale ruined the entire series as a whole and the reviewer wouldn't even recommend the series to anyone just because it gets so bad later on

IMO there are four good seasons 1,2,4 &,7.   3 & 5 are decent. 6 & 8 are terrible.  I am also made that Dexter lived and decide to be a lumber jack. How did he survive a hurricane? How did he swim to safety? 

Very close to the way I'd list them.

I have 1,2 and 4 as excellent, 5 as very good (I really liked Julia Stiles as Lumen), 3 and 7 as decent, 6 as bad and 8 as just god awful terrible

• Like 1

Watched the last 90 seconds of the episode on youtube ... how depressingly awful. 

For years (at least 4) I wondered ... HOW will the show end in terms of Dexter ... will he go to jail, will he die ... NEVER did I think, he'll throw his dead sister in the ocean, drive his boat into a hurricane ...and become a bearded lumberjack.

Awful.

• Like 2

Anything would of been better than what we got. I would of liked to see Miami Metro reaction to Dexter.

I wanted to see this as well.  I think Quinn knew but I would have loved for him to say to Dexter that he knew.

I hated how there was no closure. Dexter's step kids were ignored. Miami Metro all we got was a phone call saying Dexter died. 

You know, it can't be a coincidence that all these Showtime programs seem to fall off a cliff and become complete jokes after a few seasons ...

Dexter (most people think first 4 seasons good stuff, then mixed to shit results after)

Californication (for the first 2 seasons it was genuinely entertaining stuff ... then became a COMPLETE joke)

Weeds (again first 3 seasons were very good, then trainwreck for much of the rest of the show)

Homeland (not nearly as bad, but still most people agree that total drop off in quality as season 2 progressed)

Get your shit together showtime.

HBO, while not perfect in the least bit, seems to have better luck with these long running shows (Entourage is a definite example of them failing towards the end)

Edited by Adam

Watched the last 90 seconds of the episode on youtube ... how depressingly awful. 

For years (at least 4) I wondered ... HOW will the show end in terms of Dexter ... will he go to jail, will he die ... NEVER did I think, he'll throw his dead sister in the ocean, drive his boat into a hurricane ...and become a bearded lumberjack.

Awful.

What if he was in New Hampshire and he ran into Walter White?? :rofl:

• Like 2