Eric Quinn

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

36 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Not sure why you're making impossible what ifs when I am simply adjusting its OW for the holiday shifting demand around just for sake of having more 'proper' legs comparisons. Sure without holiday it probably opens smaller than a simple number shift but even then a more realistic OW would've been around ~140M. Which isn't a knock to TGM, I'm just saying the multiplier number is slightly drugged up by holiday monday, which should be worth keeping in mind if people want to use TGM as a multiplier comparison.

I don't really think Puss will be any threat, mostly because if it takes away showtimes they won't be the PLFs which are what A2 is selling best on by far anyway. If multiplier disappoints, that will be entirely the film's own doing.

The impossible what ifs were just jokes. As for Puss, I wonder if it might take away some showtimes at multiplexes that have multiple PLFs. Theaters like to stagger their showtimes, especially for the same film. So Puss in Boots' <2 hour runtime is an amazing film to throw in to help stagger times. Though I don't know how much freedom the chains have in this regard. 

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

So break even is 1.5 billion at most with marketing factored in. I guess what they end up doing with Avatar 5 and anything else depends on how Disney feels about it just hitting the break even/a little bit over that.

How much would marketing be on this film? Also, I imagine that A3-5 will be much cheaper, as a lot of the costs for A2 will benefit the coming films. And much of the marketing right now is important to help build an audience for the franchise, which will make future marketing cheaper. So the studio might not be too worried about breaking even on this, as the next 3+ films could be their money makers.

Also.. if A2 'underperforms', I wouldn't be surprised if we see the studios leveraging that to claw away backend deals for A3+, negotiate lower salaries, etc. Because they know that A2 will be in the hole financially, they aren't going to pay much out on the backend, and then they can wrestle away the potentially lucrative backend deals on future films. That's assuming anybody took a deal on the backend of this film.

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

Lotr vs Jurassic. What would you choose as superior?

Oof. That is hard for me.

Objectively, LOTR is in another universe compared to the JP franchise.

For me personally ... ive gotta be honest, LOTR also wins there. Jurassic Park and Jurassic World are more important films for me and i do have something of an obsession for them, but what brings this home for LOTR is just the consistency of that trilogy. FOTR, TTT and ROTK are all 10/10 Masterpieces, while the Jurassic Park franchise has a true dud with JP3. But i want to emphasize that both the original Jurassic Park and the first Jurassic World rank above the LOTR trilogy in my personal Top Movie list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

It changes nothing about how good its run was, I was just pointing out that taking the multi at face value here isn't quite accurate as it undersells its opening/oversells its legs a bit.

You are correct, and that’s why it’s better to use the full opening week rather than just OW, where TGM is still in a class by itself 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

It's kind of wild to me that Pirates 4 was (officially) the most expensive film ever made up to this point, considering it looks so much worse than its predecessors. Depp's payout must've been ginormous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

I would say that without Covid/war 2 billion would have been an aboslute lock and 2.5 billion quite likely .

Not only the movie would have made at least $350m more from China and Russia but exchange rates in almost all markets would be significantly better (as would people's economic situation and movie going habits). For a movie that makes 65-70%+ of its gross from overseas markets the current exchange rates compared to 2019 represent hundreds of millions in loss in dollars. 

Hmm, not sure, I really don’t think so. My rule of thumb is that COVID / war (and the ER that goes with it) resulted on around +-$500m from the bigger players (NWH, TGM and now A2). It’s an exercise in ‘what if’ but I insist that A2 is and should have always been what me and others have said for a decade, reestablishing the franchise to the general audience. Cameron took way too damn long for it, so what happens next is to see if the GA rekindles with the message and the world of the franchise… or not:

I saw this yesterday and I was avoiding to touch the can of worms that is some of the backlash that the film and Cameron are facing on social media, and I wouldn’t dare to bring this up on the film’s OT, but I do think that some of the criticism here has some major merit. Cameron needs to open his world to more diverse voices, not only among the cast and screenwriting, but also ar helm of the production for the own good of the world he created, in my opinion. The issues about how the first film and now the second one delve deep into colonialism allegory is something that could have bothered some back in 2009 (and it did rub me the wrong way back then) and it does sting harder now after we got at very least three popular sci-fi films that explored colonialism from a diverse perspective (Black Panther, Prey, Wakanda Forever).

The world is different than what it was back in 2009. Just being the ‘king of the world’ isn’t good enough anymore. And that’s a good thing.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Oof. That is hard for me.

Objectively, LOTR is in another universe compared to the JP franchise.

For me personally ... ive gotta be honest, LOTR also wins there. Jurassic Park and Jurassic World are more important films for me and i do have something of an obsession for them, but what brings this home for LOTR is just the consistency of that trilogy. FOTR, TTT and ROTK are all 10/10 Masterpieces, while the Jurassic Park franchise has a true dud with JP3. But i want to emphasize that both the original Jurassic Park and the first Jurassic World RANK ABOVE THE LOTR TRILOGY in my personal Top Movie list.

Lets Go Gun GIF by Red Giant

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

JW clearly better, even though my rating for other two be similar, I will likely pick JWFK and JWD to rewatch over A2.

Out of reacts but :ohmygod:

So you DO have a little (very little) soft spot left for JW!

45 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I think that without COVID / war going on, $2B was likely at play

Lol, it still is. x5 multiplier is not something impossible for this movie and Christmas release with zero competition, it's not MCU flick. Let's see 2nd and 3rd weekend before making conclusions.

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

You are correct, and that’s why it’s better to use the full opening week rather than just OW, where TGM is still in a class by itself 

This is especially funny because the mon holidays really do inflate the OWeek but it still goes nuts 

• Like 1

Just now, Firepower said:

Lol, it still is. x5 multiplier is not something impossible for this movie and Christmas release with zero competition, it's not MCU flick. Let's see 2nd and 3rd weekend before making conclusions.

You could be correct. Like I’ve said previously, I’m rusty and it’s not like I was known for my predicting box office skills before either. I just don’t see it how.

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Lets Go Gun GIF by Red Giant

Hey for me, all 3 LOTR movies, JP and JW (and a bunch of other movies as well) are literal perfection and i do admit that on more objective merits the LOTR trilogy is far above the best JP movie 😅

Just now, Brainbug said:

Hey for me, all 3 LOTR movies, JP and JW (and a bunch of other movies as well) are literal perfection and i do admit that on more objective merits the LOTR trilogy is far above the best JP movie 😅

Thank You GIF by VCG Construction