Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Because I can point to the type of films that were released in the time period? And those that weren't?

Proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes.

Do you really expect me to believe that the release of LOTR wasn't influenced by the highest grossing movie of all time 4 years prior? Get real please...

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He was? People throw shit on TFA constantly for 5 years 

Some people did. But that happens with every big movie. The legs TFA had, the good vibes post it and the anticipation for Rogue One and TLJ show a happy Republic. As we have learned since TFA, that hype can bring a big opening weekend. That does not sustain it to the domestic record.

HOLY SHIT GUYS

EmpireCity just messaged me out of the blue! He still told me that I suck, but he actually gave me numbers 😱😱😱

Avatar's heading its way to 22M!!!!!!

What an increase! Guess the evils of streaming is long gone and people are willing to beat the cold. Daddy Cameron, you've done it again! Russos found dead in a ditch! Now we can move on from arguing over a 5-year-old kids movie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 9

Just now, BluKyberCrystal said:

Some people did. But that happens with every big movie. The legs TFA had, the good vibes post it and the anticipation for Rogue One and TLJ show a happy Republic. As we have learned since TFA, that hype can bring a big opening weekend. That does not sustain it to the domestic record.

I don't know... Episode I was met with insanely good audience reception when it dropped, have bonkers legs and all. We know how that ends.

Maybe the amazing audience reception of both EP1 and EP7 have more to do with people excited about going back to this universe after a decade of hiatus in both cases. 

Once the excitement drops, the crackles appears.

2 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS

EmpireCity just messaged me out of the blue! He still told me that I suck, but he actually gave me numbers 😱😱😱

What an increase! Guess the evils of streaming is long gone and people are willing to beat the cold. Daddy Cameron, you've done it again! Russos found dead in a ditch! Now we can move on from arguing over a 5-year-old kids movie!

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't know... Episode I was met with insanely good audience reception when it dropped, have bonkers legs and all. We know how that ends.

Maybe the amazing audience reception of both EP1 and EP7 have more to do with people excited about going back to this universe after a decade of hiatus in both cases. 

Once the excitement drops, the crackles appears.

TPM had good legs, but reviews and audience scores were certainly below TFA (and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves TPM). 

4 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS

But now we're arguing over a 7 year old kids movie. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS

/s?

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

TPM had good legs, but reviews and audience scores were certainly below TFA (and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves TPM). 

Lucas should have done a That's So Raven and realized his movies needed the Queen Rey factor to get the good scores in 😎

giphy.gif?cid=790b761183ec44cd7dc264547a

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Do you really expect me to believe that the release of LOTR wasn't influenced by the highest grossing movie of all time 4 years prior? Get real please...

And now we're back to the definition of "blockbuster".

If I wanted to split hairs (and risk even more of a page count), I could get into a debate on Epic vs Blockbuster vs Epic that becomes a Blockbuster.  I could even go into analyzing the type of movies that were traditionally placed in December (from family friendly fare to Oscar Bait) that had commercial hopes and hoped to take advantage of holiday legs.

Instead, I will simply note that the Harry Potter movies dropped in Novembers instead of Decembers when they were scheduled for that period of the year.  As did the The Hunger Games films for that matter.  

I'm not discounting the performance of Titanic or Avatar.  I'm not saying they weren't influential.  I am saying that TFA showed that a more "traditional" summer style blockbuster could succeed in a way that differed from Titanic and Avatar, and we've had several movies since then follow the TFA template.

No more.  No less.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS

Chill Relax GIF

• Haha 2

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

why did deadline give an early number yesterday but not today?

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-tuesday-1235204016/

20th Century Studios/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water‘s Tuesday box office is looking at $17M, and could possibly topple Minions: Rise of Gru‘s first Tuesday of $17.5M to become the best Tuesday of 2022.

Some rival studios are seeing higher, but we’ll see how it settles come the morning. In its fifth day, the James Cameron directed sequel’s running domestic box office will rise to $167.3M.

I hear Avatar 2 has about $8M in pre-sales heading into the upcoming weekend, which is strong per one distribution source for a weekend 2 of a movie.

EmpireCity lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2