Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

38 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think the fact that the movie just is not selling well outside of PLF's blindsided everyone. Also the runtime could be a major issue.

Also check this out, Avatar 2's interest rating on The Quorum hard dipped between the 28th of Nov right up until the release.

https://thequorum.com/will-a-last-minute-dip-in-interest-hurt-avatar-the-way-of-water/

For some reason the interest in the movie dipped at the last moment?
I've seen no explanations for this, here are my theories.

1) Marketing - Something they did around that time drove down interest. Perhaps that's around when they started pushing 3D hard.

2) Reactions & Reviews. People saying it's all style and no substance and the same as the first

3) James Cameron Comments about high test being a toxin

you're worrying way too much about the dip on quorum, it's interesting but it's not exactly *that* accurate.

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

Positive, not raving. It's well received enough to be doing conventionally well, but anyone hoping for A1 or TGM level reception or legs should be seriously worried at the signs atm

Interesting. How are you assessing this? Specifically, I'm curious about whatever metrics you're using to analyze the level of positivity in the reviews.

I mean, we need to wait on legs but plenty of movies with a 2 hour 45 minute to 3 hour 15 minute runtime have done very, very well the box office this century. I think the early box office not being as formidable as initially expected is likely mostly due to A1 and it being a well enough liked movie but nothing absolutely remarkable... Otherwise, with 13 years of build up with the same cast returning and saga continuing to a movie that's what... Top 15 DOM admissions all time? You'd expect at least 150M+ OW. Probably closer to 200M OW DOM... Instead, in came well behind Strange and Wakanda OW DOM and close but still behind Jurassic, Thor. It edged out a Batman OW DOM that's the 3rd reboot of his character in the last 15 years.

134.1M OW DOM is nothing to sneeze at. It's quite good. But, it's certainly nothing super spectacular... And, the early legs and I stress early look more like that of R1 than something like A1... Or, even, stuff like Aquaman, Jumanji, Jumanji 2 had during the holidays. These are looking more like SW ST legs early something. Something in the range of the legs that R1 and TFA type legs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I would agree, but I'm not going to pretend like it's impossible that other people didn't feel the length.  If you aren't into a movie a single hour can feel like an eternity, much less 3 hours.

Yes, agree wholeheartedly. 

Looking forward to a larger sampling of audience reviews/impressions as time wears on.

I may be a noob at this, but looking at RT audience scores (93 for this one), it seems to be doing much better than the first flick (82) but considerably worse than TGM (99!). 

7 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Yes, agree wholeheartedly. 

Looking forward to a larger sampling of audience reviews/impressions as time wears on.

I may be a noob at this, but looking at RT audience scores (93 for this one), it seems to be doing much better than the first flick (82) but considerably worse than TGM (99!). 

Can't compare the old unverified audience scores with the verified scores. It's considerably worse than TGM, but also slightly below BPWF at 94, which I think we can all agree has good but not amazing WoM. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What are you on about lad, the movies feels like its 2hours 20mins.

I agree with IronJimbo that the movie doesn't feel like it's longer than 3 hours. Yet I do think the runtime it's definitely hurting it.

Making a room of 4 hours requires certain planification, and even if people can make it, imagine having to do it several times for repeat viewings.

I personally have already watched the movie and have intentions of watching it again, but I couldn't do it yet because of the 3hs+ length 

• Like 2

Just now, Grebacio said:

I agree with IronJimbo that the movie doesn't feel like it's longer than 3 hours. Yet I do think the runtime it's definitely hurting it.

Making a room of 4 hours requires certain planification, and even if people can make it, imagine having to do it several times for repeat viewings.

I personally have already watched the movie and have intentions of watching it again, but I couldn't do it yet because of the 3hs+ length 

brainbug was saying it was what was within the 3 hours what was the problem, not the fact it's 3 hours long and has less screens to show in. I totally agree with everything you just said and disagree with brainbug

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

brainbug was saying it was what was within the 3 hours what was the problem, not the fact it's 3 hours long and has less screens to show in. I totally agree with everything you just said and disagree with brainbug

Though i was making more of a general statement. I havent seen Avatar 2 yet, so i cant personally comment on how long the runtime "feels". Its just that i believe that the runtime of a movie doesnt really matter as long as the things that happen in a movie work in combination with the runtime.

For example, the LOTR movies are extremely long (especially ofc the extended versions) but you really dont feel that while watching because every single scene is important and the long runtime just adds to the epic experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

no bueno

In a vacuum, thats an ok, if mediocre number.

Concerning the hopes for really strong legs for Avatar 2, thats ... bad.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

I feel like smaller weekdays actually point to bigger weekends, doesn’t burn that much demand and there is still plenty of time to catch the movie - at a proper screen, not just to fill that urge to see it ASAP

• Like 1