Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

56 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To be fair, with the combination of this snow storm + Christmas Eve on Saturday, Theaters would have struggled in any year.

Real story will be numbers on the 25th onwards. If they also crumble, ill join your doomposting.

Even No Way Home struggled on Christmas Eve last year and that movie had good legs other than than a good sized drop on that day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Well 25% seems pretty good seeing as though everyone keeps saying how cinema is dying and the market has changed.

As for market change, the 25% drop is because of increase in Asian and LATAM markets. Otherwise Europe and matured matket drops are closer to 40%. 

And this is what most of folks used to say for years except for Avatar thread loonies.

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Besides i thought this was a box office forum. I'm sure Disney are looking at the dollars, not admissions.

Yes this is a box office forum, folks here should have higher understanding of how box office works. And box office doesn't mean just gross, it also means admission. I personally believe admission are better judge of performance.

Besides majority of Europe, LATAM track box office in admissions. The only big markets that really avoid admission tracking are Anglosphere mkts US, UK, AUS, NZ.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

As for market change, the 25% drop is because of increase in Asian and LATAM markets. Otherwise Europe and matured matket drops are closer to 40%. 

And this is what most of folks used to say for years except for Avatar thread loonies.

Yes this is a box office forum, folks here should have higher understanding of how box office works. And box office doesn't mean just gross, it also means admission. I personally believe admission are better judge of performance.

Besides majority of Europe, LATAM track box office in admissions. The only big markets that really avoid admission tracking are Anglosphere mkts US, UK, AUS, NZ.

While I do think admissions are important, I think we can’t ignore how they’re impacted by decreasing theater attendance as a whole more than pure monetary stuff is. So there’s drawbacks to it as well imo

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

While I do think admissions are important, I think we can’t ignore how they’re impacted by decreasing theater attendance as a whole more than pure monetary stuff is. So there’s drawbacks to it as well imo

Sure there is no denying that but this has been a case for some time now which was true for releases like Endgame, TFA, NWH TLK, F2, etc which have faced decline of theatrical medium as  compared to 2000s or before when there were longer windows and lack of alternative mediums like streaming.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean, mostly this is saying is that the admissions are giving a more accurate picture and the picture is bad. That's not really a point in favor of gross, it's just an unfortunate situation.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

The global markets change too much for a variety of reasons to compare admissions over a larger timeframe.

This exactly why admissions. Admissions help avoiding not only inflation but also exchange rate issues.

Its better to compare admission of 2012 film with 2022 vs their gross.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This exactly why admissions. Admissions help avoiding not only inflation but also exchange rate issues.

Its better to compare admission of 2012 film with 2022 vs their gross.

We need a reaction that's like, "Let me think about this."

I don't know if I agree but it's a decent point at least.

To an extent you can just say "anything too far away is incomparable" or at the very least "anything too far away requires very complicated and careful analysis, lemme go spend a month on my deep learning model."  

But for whatever problems "simple admit compare, lol" has I think it at least pretty clearly outperforms "simple nominal USD compare, lol" in terms of gauging film strength from far away eras.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

To an extent you can just say "anything too far away is incomparable" or at the very least "anything too far away requires very complicated and careful analysis, lemme go spend a month on my deep learning model."  

But for whatever problems "simple admit compare, lol" has I think it at least pretty clearly outperforms "simple nominal USD compare, lol" in terms of gauging film strength from far away eras.

I wonder if we can get @lorddemaxus to develop such a model. He goes to CalTech after all, the smartest school in California....

Spoiler

Grinch Smile GIF

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also, in the case of Avatar, we have to give credit to Avatar to have this many people to pay extra price to watch a movie. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

I mean, mostly this is saying is that the admissions are giving a more accurate picture and the picture is bad. That's not really a point in favor of gross, it's just an unfortunate situation.

A Growing Global Stagflationary Environment yields worse box office results all around. Why do people discuss the World Cup and a Snow Storm, but not this? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

I wonder if we can get @lorddemaxus to develop such a model. He goes to CalTech after all, the smartest school in California....

Hide contents

Grinch Smile GIF

They don’t even go to Caltech, that 2nd tier option is like 500 miles away from the One True California Rivalry ;) 

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

A Growing Global Stagflationary Environment yields worse box office results all around. Why do people discuss the World Cup and a Snow Storm, but not this? 

Probably because we:

A)don’t have a stagflationary environment (and are trending even farther from one, not towards one)

and 

B ) if we did it would yield better box office results all around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1