Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

Fwiw, on the question of admits vs BO$, I very much prefer admissions as a measure of how big/popular a movie was, literally the number of eyeballs on screen

But IMO, they are not a standalone measure requiring no adjustment over time, because audience behavior changes: the potential movie-going pool grows and shrinks. They need some kind of denominator, in the way Nielsen TV ratings are given as both a raw figure (millions) and share of TVs on, the latter of which reflect popularity within the market at the given time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Even though nobody wants to talk about it, Hulk also came out summer '08 lol.  

What film is that? I don't remember it existed 👀

Edited by Nero
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

$32M Boxing Day not bad at all.

Nice Mr Roarke we were off by a hair

I had 35.5..Nice!

760-850 still looking in play. We need those late walkins and all the late bloomers of Avatar 1 to come on in now..

YESSS!

Fun Swimming GIF by Avatar

Hoping actuals come in at $30m+ for Sunday and $32m+ for yesterday. Parsing through the actuals for what should be a very solid hold from Avatar and disastrous results for a couple other new releases will be a rollercoaster lmao

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Iron Man came out the year before Avatar.

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Nope. Iron Man came out in May 2008, 1 1/2 years before Avatar.

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

No. Iron Man released in 2008 while Avatar in 2009

Wow has it been that long since Iron Man already, it doesnt feel it

Just now, stuart360 said:

Wow has it been that long since Iron Man already, it doesnt feel it

Yeah its weird to think about that Iron Man and The Dark Knight released in the same summer. 2008 seems like a whole other world at this point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nero said:

DS almost managed $1B by himself without China. If China it would have been $1.1-1.2B. So you think Avengers will only add 300M ?

It's not exactly that simple. DS came in riding the tidal wave of multiverse from NWH, a very well received film, promising cameos and whatever else. This phase has missed the mark big time with audiences this year though, only BP course-correcting it domestically (but not overseas, where reception continues being poor), and if that doesn't change atleast next year (at the very least ant-man hasto be very well received since it's setting up to A5, even though it's not really a big MCU franchise), Avengers5 will be coming in after a big streak of films audiences disliked.

MCU films don't exist in a vacuum, audiences don't just clean slate on each entry, and those poor received films do add up. Just look at how BAD latest mcu films did in typically big MCU markets like SK.

For the record, I think it can do better than 1.5b with China but I don't have see Kang breaking 2b. I do think Secret Wars will however.

Edited by JustLurking

Ideally we would have data for Admits and gross for all movies in every country. Both are important. As to what matters more to you personally if for you its admits then great. If like me you care more about gross then that's great too

• Like 1

Avengers is a franchise based on more than 50 years of stories with established superheroes/pop icons with a stellar cast portraying them and a whole bunch of minor films leading and building to it.

Avatar is a brand new IP with no superstars.

Just saying…

• Like 1

Just now, stuart360 said:

Sorry bud lol.

I was looking at that top franchise Wiki and the JP series blew me away. In the Top 10 and 1bil average per movie. Amazing.

I non-ironically think the JW movies are a bit underappreciated box-office wise. The fact that many people (online) dislike the films plays a role there too i think. To have each movie of your trilogy gross over a billion is no easy feat at all, especially for a more "classic" franchise that isnt part of some cinematic universe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Roark said:

Avengers is a franchise based on more than 50 years of stories with established superheroes/pop icons with a stellar cast portraying them and a whole bunch of minor films leading and building to it.

Avatar is a brand new IP with no superstars.

Just saying…

I mean biggest franchise in the world, and Endgame being the finale to a 20 something film series, and it needed a late expansion to just about beat AVATAR from 10 years earlier WW.

Says it all for me.

• Thanks 1