charlie Jatinder

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread || Avatar $20.1M THU - Top 10 DOM or Bust!

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Look i literally just got 'Blockbuster' status with that post. Even the forum itself knows i'm right.😎

All I'll say is that if you think people really genuinely give that much of a shit that there's some mass conspiracy on here to go after Avatar fans and not just that you, Jimbo, Sheldon/Kal etc are annoying and some of the most frequently unkind, holier then thou, and rude people on here making people not want to root for you guys idk what to say lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

I understand your enthusiasm and the holds are going really well. But the numbers are solid and good each day but hardly shocking and cause for a huge adjustment IMO.

55-60 3 day weekend is going to be good. It "might" go higher but its not something we can bank on. Might get to 600 (likely I think) but 700 really seems not very likely at all.

I think 60m is giving it some pretty crappy weekend holds… not saying it won’t since these weekdays have been great, but we can hardly rule out something more like $65m. At that point we’re right in the ballpark of A1s 3rd weekend with a $90m lead or so. Failing to see how 700+ would be outlandish at that point with literally one of the worst January’s of this century for competition…

@IronJimbo @stuart360 @Mulder @Reddroast 

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for there own thoughts and beliefs but I feel like we're at a 7 turning into an 8 and I'd like to bring it back down to a 4. If we can't do that, I'm gonna thread ban @Deep Wang and @Brainbug as punishment. Think of their feelings! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 4

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

All I'll say is that if you think people really genuinely give that much of a shit that there's some mass conspiracy on here to go after Avatar fans and not just that you, Jimbo, Sheldon/Kal etc are annoying and some of the most frequently unkind, holier then thou, and rude people on here making people not want to root for you guys idk what to say lol.

Receipts or it didnt happen (i would actually love to see some receipts for me), and that goes both ways my friend.

I feel the same for quite a few people on here.

Just now, stuart360 said:

I mean a similar exchange rate to the first film, and a full China no covid riddled run, and it probably would be.

True but I was following covid very closely when said it.  I knew the virus was going to muck things up based on the December release date

• Like 1

Just now, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

Blockbuster status means you're about to be driven out of business by Netflix. 

Under 10k posts means that youre a mid-budget-level poster and as one, youre only logical place now is on day and date-streaming! People are sick of reading posts of people who have less than 10k posts in this forum, so reading those posts on a streaming plattform is the only solution! Premium large formats are the future of box office posts, coupled with the day and date-streaming so that people get to choose. Ah, streaming and especially day and date-streaming is here to STAY.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Considering we are talking members with  name like jamescameeronscholar on here. Yes.

As for the second point  considering im talking to GP people for the most part and not stans who would be rewatching....

I'm not a major Cameron Stan (although I certainly respect him). I'm a Star Wars geek and have been for about forty years now.

That said, it genuinely feels to me (anecdotally) that the response to A2 amongst people I know is roughly the same as it was to the first Avatar. Quite a lot of people seem to being an approximately similar response in terms of enjoyment (and potential rewatchability). A few like it a bit less, and a few like it a bit more.

The truly odd thing about it, is that I really can't remember a film where so many people I know were looking forward to it (if not necessarily highly excited about it) and definitely planning to see it, but really *weren't* in any particular hurry as to when. This may be partly due to it being Christmas, and partly due to the pandemic, but I also think it's because the first Avatar at this point occupies a fairly strange space in the public consciousness.

Despite being the sequel to the most successful movie of all time, this really doesn't feel like the typical sequel response at all. It feels as though the general public had become collectively fairly neutral to the franchise over the past 13 years or so. With all the positivity that comes from the first one being such a juggernaut on one side, off set by the years of criticism and apathy on the other, and the majority of the public sort of ambivalent and waiting to see what the response to the film would be.

All of which has contributed to this being one of the most difficult box office runs to predict prior to release, and even to extrapolate from as the numbers have come in.

1 minute ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for there own thoughts and beliefs but I feel like we're at a 7 turning into an 8 and I'd like to bring it back down to a 4. If we can't do that, I'm gonna thread ban @Deep Wang and @Brainbug as punishment. Think of their feelings! 

What? But i dont want to be banned :sadno:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ok for @Deep Wang's sake 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

and if a chicken had lips it could whistle

Wll yeah, fair enough, shit happens and all that.

The shining light part of it though is that A3 probably wont be dealing with either of those problems (covid and shitty exchange rates). And it will be a further 2 years past the pandemic.

A3 3bil LOCKED.

2 minutes ago, BuzhuWarrior said:

That said, it genuinely feels to me (anecdotally) that the response to A2 amongst people I know is roughly the same as it was to the first Avatar. Quite a lot of people seem to being an approximately similar response in terms of enjoyment (and potential rewatchability). A few like it a bit less, and a few like it a bit more.

Anectotally, this is exactly my experience as well. I think it's a pretty good measure of how it actually is.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

What? But i dont want to be banned :sadno:

I also don't want that but there's LITERALLY nothing I can do about it. Besides I'm pretty sure you just attacked a moderator with your "sub 10K posts" rant which is honestly up there with some of the most heinous writing ever seen on this site. Can't believe how you've changed.

:ban:

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

You're truly living up to being Venom by holding innocents as hostages. As the true hero I must relent.

EDIT: We need more emojis to suggest sarcasm/a joking tone btw lmao  

Edited by Mulder
  • Thanks 1

I also don't want that but there's LITERALLY nothing I can do about it. Besides I'm pretty sure you just attacked a moderator with your "sub 10K posts" rant which is honestly up there with some of the most heinous writing ever seen on this site. Can't believe how you've changed.

:ban:

IT WAS SATIRE believe me

As for the possibility for A3 to outperform A2, I highly doubt that. It would need China to step up big for that to happen. Sequels to huge movies that comes out a few years after the last tend to go down quite a bit. I see absolutely no reason for this to not do so (unless of course, exchange rates gets back to A1 level). After all, Avatar is no LOTR.