charlie Jatinder

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread || Avatar $20.1M THU - Top 10 DOM or Bust!

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Avatar is clearly going for 3rd weekend gain! The momentum is building and I am giving a wishful though of $70m 3 days. $1bn headline is helping! 

I can see that the legs are slowing kicking in. WOM is great, and the voice of haters, naysayers and doubters are becoming more and more quieter.

• Like 2

Just now, dignam said:

I can see that the legs are slowing kicking in. WOM is great, and the voice of haters, naysayers and doubters are becoming more and more quieter.

Even China is doing a bigger 3rd weekend than 2nd.  Friday is 6% higher than last Friday while the PS for Saturday and Sunday suggest even bigger bump.

• Like 2

anyone know when it was clear that avatar 1 was going over 2.5 billion? what about 2 billion?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

9 minutes ago, XXR Eywa Has Heard You! said:

It’s not that far out the window lol

R1 2nd Friday + 36%

A2 2nd Friday + 32%

R1 3rd Friday + 9%

A2 3rd Friday + 10-17% 

unrelated question

what was the lowest possible gross you could have seen for yesterday based on the early numbers you were seeing?

what number did you have in mind when you posted the "not great" gif?

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

anyone know when it was clear that avatar 1 was going over 2.5 billion? what about 2 billion?

Think it was clear it was going over Titanic / hitting $2B by third weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

so it pretty much made a billion during january (though it only opened in china and japan at that time as well)

52 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Queen

2 hours ago, lilmac said:

TWOW might be Zoe Saldana's 4th 2B+ movie:

Avengers Infinity War (2018) - 2.04B
Avengers Endgame (2019) - 2.79B
Avatar The Way of Water (2022) - 2.0B+

When you look at her big budget filmography. My goodness. She’s in many of the Top 100 all time grossing movies. 

Queen of movies that start with the letter A. 🙂

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

unrelated question

what was the lowest possible gross you could have seen for yesterday based on the early numbers you were seeing?

what number did you have in mind when you posted the "not great" gif?

The earliest comp pointed to 16.3 and while we knew it would increase, my head was at 17-17.5 when I posted that gif. In the end, the comp broke down due to regional chain underperformance and Canada over-performance. Hopefully today is better for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

It's not out of the realms of the possibility that it gets the all time 3rd WE record. That's insane.

IM BLIND

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

It's not out of the realms of the possibility that it gets the all time 3rd WE record. That's insane.

I don't see it happening. $70M is already +10% from last weekend and that's asking a lot as it is. 

I wouldn’t get too out of hand about the weekend yet. It’s possible that The Way of Water only very marginally increases into Friday, since these weekdays are very strong and it is well-suited to take advantage of the holiday weekdays.

Just my two cents. :) The weekdays are very impressive. At the very least, it has positioned itself well for a strong weekend - but could simply be of the “typical strong” variety instead of “exceptionally strong”.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

You're smoking something if you think that's in the cards lol, TFA had 90M off a freaking 23M NYE (!!) thur, A2 isn't even sniffing that. Taking 2nd from Avatar would already be a BIG ask and that's nowhere near.

• Like 1