XXRDJisDoctorDoom

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

4 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

still a big blockbuster nobody is expecting the fablesman to do 500m 

Then it’s less risky that a movie that needs almost 1,5bn to break even anyway you see it, with the added ridiculousness of “no culture imprint” etc. 

Just now, Mr Roark said:

$22+ actuals always ends up higher like todays 23/24 that ended up $24.5…

Well that's because their estimates are 95% correct.

If they were estimating 25-26 and ended up 24.4 you would be disappointed. 😄

But yes what you hope, I hope the same as well. 😜

37 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Real talk can this get past Top Gun domestic?

Yes. The early 2023 calendars lack of competition is very much in its favor right now. Sure the storm/holiday has inflated the holds this week, but at the same time it couldn’t be doing this amazing without great WOM. Great WOM and no competition is a dangerous combo at the box office, above 700 is totally possible at this point. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

The hype for TFA was insane.

You can't bring back that hype without the OT characters and without the Skywalker Saga.

The hype was supercharged by nostalgia. That will be gone the next time around.

I agree.

After the perfect nostalgic fan service movie (imo) that is No Way Home, The Force Awakens was never the same to me because all I keep thinking now is how they wasted a huge opportunity by not having the original trio together even in a single scene let alone fight the dark side as a team again. Even before Carrie's unfortunate passing, Han was already killed off so it's like the thought never even crossed anyone's minds. Who knows, maybe TFA would've crossed 1B domestic if that reunion happened and Han didn't have a downer ending.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I'd need a sub-30% drop this weekend to believe. Don't see it.

That just isn’t true. It could go as low as 35m next weekend (nearly -50%) and still get there with amazing holds for the rest of Jan/Feb. Basically it would need to replicate TGMs 4th weekend multi to beat it off of a 35m weekend next week.

Not saying that’s “easy” at all and not even saying it has the same level of WOM as TGM… but it doesn’t even need that with such a barren calendar. I also don’t think it will drop all the way to 35m next weekend either, would guess more like low 40s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The only record the next AVENGERS will make with the current lineup is Biggest Dropoff for a Sequel.

They have a lot of work to do this phase to build up some kind of big payoff again, and even if they do the best possible, I can’t see them truly reaping the  rewards until whatever Avengers films come after these next two announced.