CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

“The protag’s droopy dance caught on like wild fire out of the first trailer — and this was without the studio doing a #MeganDanceChallenage. There was none of that. It was all organic with 1.3 billion views on TikTok across the hashtags #M3GAN, #M3GANMovie, and #M3GANDance.” Source: Deadline. 

That’s the type of marketing you just can’t buy. 1.3B completely free views for Universal there. 

Great numbers for all three movies. I think The Way of Water might hold better than expected on Sunday due to PLF/IMAX skew, which should mean that Sunday plays quite a bit better than Friday. But that might be an incorrect assessment.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

From one side, 4th weekend sunday drops from the last years have been worse than before and Friday may have acumulated, but from another side sunday can benefit Avatar with Imax/plf screens and its 3 hours.. I guess we will have to see, I am thrilled.

Edited by oenri

Finally caught up with puss in boots . 9-9.5/10 . Brilliant . Best animated movie in a while.

Hoping for 13.5m+ weekend for puss and 140m-150m.

Looking like we may have a potential 100m grosser with M3GAN but let's see how it holds onwards .

Avatar is looking 650m+ with a shot at 700m. 

Below A2 GUN MAVERICK
  CHANGE!!!
3rd weekend 51.8  
4th weekend 44.7 -15.88%
5th weekend 29.6 -51.01%

Doesn't really take a genius to work out that TGM's 4th weekend is highly inflated due to a holiday monday and fathers day sunday.

A2's 5th weekend is going to make those rooting against cinema doing well (whats with this?) not very happy.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 hours ago, TRISTAN said:

ET is a harmless little sentimental movie which is nowhere near any of Cameron's groundbreaking movie..... In fact, The Abyss is Cameron's answer to ET to how to do in grand and complex way.

All right I was trying to be nice before but now you want the gloves to come off, fine. ET is not a harmless little sentimental movie. It was to our generation what Titanic was to a different generation. I'm not going to get into all the plot pieces and what it did to people and how it made them feel but if you go purely by box office run it was something incredibly special. Some of the records are still holding up to this day. Like I said you can have your opinion and that's fine but don't dismiss it as being some little shitty movie. That's not fair and it's certainly not true.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Below A2 GUN MAVERICK
  CHANGE!!!
3rd weekend 51.8  
4th weekend 44.7 -15.88%
5th weekend 29.6 -51.01%

Doesn't really take a genius to work out that TGM's 4th weekend is highly inflated due to a holiday monday and fathers day sunday.

A2's 5th weekend is going to make those rooting against cinema doing well (whats with this?) not very happy.

A2's 5th weekend itself will be inflated itself so 6th weekend would be a better comparison point, but then again since the films released on very different times (TGM having strong summer weekdays on its side), it would be better to drop direct weekend comparisons and just compare full weeks instead if that's where you want to go.

• Like 2

Just now, stephanos13 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between IMAX and PLF?

When I was in UK as a student I watched a few movies in IMAX and the experience was amazing.

PLF = Premium Large Format

IMAX is one of these formats, Dolby is another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Below A2 GUN MAVERICK
  CHANGE!!!
3rd weekend 51.8  
4th weekend 44.7 -15.88%
5th weekend 29.6 -51.01%

Avatar doing better than Top Gun with a holiday already makes it clear that it will be surpassed by Avatar

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

A2's 5th weekend itself will be inflated itself so 6th weekend would be a better comparison point, but then again since the films released on very different times (TGM having strong summer weekdays on its side), it would be better to drop direct weekend comparisons and just compare full weeks instead if that's where you want to go.

Disagree, it's because TGM has summer holiday weekdays that it's better to compare weekends. Forgot about that inflated week 5 weekend for A2, that's going to be brutal gap.

I guess we can try and work out how much TGM's weekdays are inflated to see where we expect A2 to drop? Seems like 20-30% increase on the dailies, something like that, but then lighter increases on weekends.

So which will be stronger? Top Gun Maverick's inflated weekdays, or that fact A2 has more demand?

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Disagree, it's because TGM has summer holiday weekdays that it's better to compare weekends. Forgot about that inflated week 5 weekend for A2, that's going to be brutal gap.

I guess we can try and work out how much TGM's weekdays are inflated to see where we expect A2 to drop? Seems like 20-30% increase on the dailies, something like that, but then lighter increases on weekends.

So which will be stronger? Top Gun Maverick's inflated weekdays, or that fact A2 has more demand?

Not sure what you mean there, the fact that TGM has summer weekdays is why comparing full weeks is better to look at the trend on whether it's making gains or not.

• Like 3