CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

2 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

While I am ecstatic about Puss' Saturday result, I don't want Avatar 2 to surpass Top Gun Maverick. No hate against the JC but in my personal opinion, I think Maverick is more deserving of the #1 domestic title of 2022

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Why Deadline reports only IMAX numbers in their box office analysis then? Because they outnumber Dolby by significant amount?

IMAX seem to gather their own data as well, sometimes you get international and worldwide numbers for IMAX within the articles. 

The rest of the PLF’s include 4DX, DBox, SuperScreen, Dolby etc - anything other than a standard 2D screen. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

A2's 5th weekend itself will be inflated itself so 6th weekend would be a better comparison point, but then again since the films released on very different times (TGM having strong summer weekdays on its side), it would be better to drop direct weekend comparisons and just compare full weeks instead if that's where you want to go.

I think we are forgetting easily how impressive TGM run was.
It´s the leggiest movie alltime in movies with opening weekends over 65 M except Avatar 1. 
This is somthing really important and i think we should measure A2 vs TGM for weekly gross, and will be hard, very hard for A2 to mantain these incredibly weekly drops that TGM did for a lot of weeks, let´s see what happens but i think it won´t be easy at all for A2 to beat TGM.

Edited by setna
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, setna said:

It´s the leggiest movie alltime in movies with opening weekends over 65 M except Avatar 1. 
This is somthing really important and i think we should measure A2 vs TGM for weekly gross, and will be hard, very hard for A2 to mantain these incredibly weekly drops that TGM did for a lot of weeks, let´s see what happens but i think it won´t be easy at all for A2 to beat TGM.

As long as it passes Jurassic World and Titanic for number 8, I'm game. I think Infinity War mayyyybe a bridge too far to cross

13 minutes ago, mike&night said:

I just can’t believe Cameron has done it again. Third time in a row. It’s movie magic. 

This is actually case of lightning in a bottle, he got lucky 3 times.

• Haha 1

For me this is the most impressive number of Avatar 2 thus far and one of the most impressive numbers any movie has achieved since Endgames run.

Because when a movie is starting to go into its 3rd, 4th and 5th week (and so on), it gets that much harder to set any new records. The main reason for this is the changed market and the changed mentality of moviegoers; whereas in the 80s and still in the 90s, even big movies opened somewhat "small" (compared to today), they could count on long, leggy runs with slim drops for weeks.

Nowadyas and pretty much since the start of the 21st century, frontloading and very fast demand-burning in the first 2 or 3 weeks is instead the norm. Especially for big blockbusters, its pretty much unheard of to have really leggy runs just because everyone who really wants to see the movie can do so in the first 2 weeks. For a film to achieve a run that is more like that of a big movie of past times, it needs something special. WOM that is better than just "its very good!"

If 21M is true for Avatar 2's 4th Saturday, then thats nearly a new daily record for the 4th Saturday (unadjusted ofc) just behind Avatar 1's 21,27M. That is beyond amazing and proof to me that its WOM is truly stellar.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For me this is the most impressive number of Avatar 2 thus far and one of the most impressive numbers any movie has achieved since Endgames run.

Because when a movie is starting to go into its 3rd, 4th and 5th week (and so on), it gets that much harder to set any new records. The main reason for this is the changed market and thze changed mentality if moviegoers; whereas in the 80s and still in the 90s, even big movies opened somewhat "small" (compared to today), they could count on long, leggy runs with slim drops for weeks.

Nowadyas and pretty much since the start of the 21st century, frontloading and very fast demand-burning in the first 2 or 3 weeks is instead the norm. Especially for big blockbusters, its pretty much unheard of to have really leggy runs just because everyone who really wants to see the movie can do so in the first 2 weeks. For a film to achieve a run that is more like that of a big movie of past times, it needs something special. WOM that is better than just "its very good!"

If 21M is true for Avatar 2's 4th Saturday, then thats a new daily record for the 4th Saturday (unadjusted ofc) as far as im aware. That is beyond amazing and proof to me that its WOM is truly stellar.

well actually the current record for the 4th Saturday is 21.27m for...AVATAR 1

Megans Number is also really great. Its extremely rare for a horror movie to increase on Sat from Friday + previews and here we are. This is a very encouraging early sign for good legs potential, locks 31M+ OW and is the groundwork for a 100M run i would predict. But even if it "only" grosses 90M or so, this is already a big win for Universal and for theaters.

Puss in Boots excellent as well. Just all around this is the (sadly) unusual weekend where one can gain hope that there is maybe a brighter future for theaters than we think.

• Like 2

Just now, nydedan said:

well actually the current record for the 4th Saturday is 21.27m for...AVATAR 1

Thanks. I remembered it falsely, i thought it was 20,27M for Avatar 1. Still, coming so close to set a new record in 2023 is no less commendable imo.

• Like 1

Like I said on OW . Third and fourth weekend would be crucial and it's worked out great  for it.

Cameron movies have always be so leggy. Avatar is a franchise officially and esp looking at those OS numbers . It's healthy and here to stay. 

But Cameron needs to work on his scripts if 3-5 onwards are to proceed smoothly.

1 hour ago, setna said:

I am not forgetting how amazing TGM's run is. It's the best box office run since AVATAR, in my opinion. THE WAY OF WATER is also doing very well domestically and internationally. I didn't expect this to perform this well after that kinda muted opening. It has been a great run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Like I said on OW . Third and fourth weekend would be crucial and it's worked out great  for it.

Cameron movies have always be so leggy. Avatar is a franchise officially and esp looking at those OS numbers . It's healthy and here to stay. 

But Cameron needs to work on his scripts if 3-5 onwards are to proceed smoothly.

3 is already 100% shot.

The scripts for 4/5 are already done and he already shot parts of 4.

Within 6/7 years Avatar 5 (probably titled The Quest for Eywa) will come out and the franchise will be over, at least with Cameron helming.