filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

I don't disagree, just speculating on the cause and effect.  People who have never been in that role presume it to be a much easier lift with all those extra hands (and $$$), rather than a larger burden to shoulder. Or not wanting to nominate here and feel boxed in for the rest of the series

Like y'all know I'm no Avatar stan, and while I can come up with reasons/explanations as to why, doesn't mean I agree with the result

I was just ranting, I understud from your post were just explaining their thought process.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Nope got blanked. It was still riding on the Peele goodwill and fighting against being a genre movie. Had an uphill battle.

Us also earned zero nominations as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he just becomes one of those filmmakers that they embrace once and then never do so again.

haven't seen women talking but

1. Avatar The Way of Water

2. The Fabelmans

3. Triangle of Sadness

4. Tar

5. Top Gun Maverick

6. Everything Everywhere All At Once

7. Banshees of Inisherin

8. Elvis

9. All Quiet on the Western Front

That's actually a pretty good line up i like all of these, none of the inclusions are making me roll my eyes. Maybe bad news for women talking idk because there's usually always one.

10 minutes ago, Eric Slay said:

Not a Disney movie. It won't happen. The Disney movie always wins, Animation Twitter will cry about it for a week, and then we all move on with our lives.

I mean, it's not really just animation twitter and it does seem like a shame that the academy views the category as a joke (I normally don't even expect the nomination for anime films to begin with, but to have a nomination for Kaguya and have it lose to Big Hero 6 has to be one of the biggest embarassments I can think of).

You get used to it and stop expecting anything knowing the voters don't care and usually don't even watch the films, but that doesn't make it any better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Maggie said:

So, explain to me how Paul Mescal got in. Did people really see that Turkish vacation movie? The vacation movies were supposed to be Adam Sandler's bread and butter. lol  I think Mescal had few but passionate fans, i can't explain how he got in

Fantastic movie, number four of the year, but I actually liked the movie better than I liked Mescal who was totally fine but not revelatory. 

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

So, explain to me how Paul Mescal got in. Did people really see that Turkish vacation movie? The vacation movies were supposed to be Adam Sandler's bread and butter. lol  I think Mescal had few but passionate fans, i can't explain how he got in

Because people thought he was good in the movie.

3 minutes ago, Eric Slay said:

And honestly, within the Animated Feature category, I feel Turning Red is the best of the bunch anyways, so I feel like this inevitably going to the Disney film (come on guys, you know that's going to happen)...I'm cool with that.

I would think that Puss in Boots and Pinocchio would be more favored to win, but they aren’t Disney/Pixar, so what do I know?

Just now, Maggie said:

Mescal's star is clearly on the rise with everything he's signed on for and his performance had plenty of passion for it. Between Mescal becoming an Oscar nominee and Edgar-Jones headlining a box office hit for her first major movie (and already signed on for an Oscar bait biopic), I'm here for the Normal People stars coming to take over Hollywood.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Mescal's star is clearly on the rise with everything he's signed on for and his performance had plenty of passion for it. Between Mescal becoming an Oscar nominee and Edgar-Jones headlining a box office hit for her first major movie (and already signed on for an Oscar bait biopic), I'm here for the Normal People stars coming to take over Hollywood.

I ahve not watched NOrmal People. Aftersun was my first exposure to him and i'm not impressed. ANyway, it looks like he has his fans. Let's see what he does next

11 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

He and Kosinski desreved the director nom more than Ruben Östlund 

wait what ?

(and I very much like Top Gun and Avatar btw)

-

So happy for Everything Everwhere... myfavorite of last year. Very happy to see Hsu nominated.

6 minutes ago, Eric Slay said:

And honestly, within the Animated Feature category, I feel Turning Red is the best of the bunch anyways, so I feel like this inevitably going to the Disney film (come on guys, you know that's going to happen)...I'm cool with that.

I don't agree with this take, but not really the point; all I'm saying is I'd just like the film to win because the voters actually preferred it rather than "I guess I'll vote for the Disney flick" or "I'll vote the one my kid liked" because they don't even respect the animation art form enough to bother watching the films.

• Like 1