3. Top Gun

4. Banshees

5. Avatar 

BIG GAP AFTER THESE FIVE

6. All Quiet, I guess?

7. Fablemans

8. Everything Everywhere All At Once 

9. Triangle of Sadness

I think there's an APB out on Women Talking. It has been kidnapped, never to be released.

I haven't been as mystified by something in a long time as people's wanking over that Judd Hirsch scene. Probably the worst scene in the movie tbh. Dano was much better, didn't deserve a nom either but one of my favorite actors so sad he missed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think there's an APB out on Women Talking. It has been kidnapped, never to be released.

The only things I had seen from Women Talking for the longest time (i.e. till last week) was the publicity stills they released. And all of them had them in old timey clothes sitting in candlelight. So I just assumed it was a late 1800s/early 1900s set movie.

Last week when reading an article about potential Oscar players, I did a double take when the synopsis said 2010.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Slay said:

Honestly I like Hirsch getting in more. His brief scene was one of my favorites in that movie. It's also oddly symbolic when it comes to what happens to Dano's character.

Hirsch did nothing outside of a three minute cameo, where he mostly just did his judd hirsch schtick; dano trying to compose himself while telling the kids about the divorce was the best piece of acting in that whole movie

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Slay said:

Not a Disney movie. It won't happen. The Disney movie always wins, Animation Twitter will cry about it for a week, and then we all move on with our lives.

Like clockwork. The Disney Animation brand is like catnip for the Academy voters. Spider-Verse got lucky both Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 were polarizing. Turning Red is universally loved, so it'll unfortunately get the automatic win. It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The only things I had seen from Women Talking for the longest time (i.e. till last week) was the publicity stills they released. And all of them had them in old timey clothes sitting in candlelight. So I just assumed it was a late 1800s/early 1900s set movie.

Last week when reading an article about potential Oscar players, I did a double take when the synopsis said 2010.

Wait...what? It's not a period piece?

1 minute ago, Eric Slay said:

Wait...what? It's not a period piece?

That was pretty much my reaction. The movie synopsis is

Do nothing. Stay and fight. Or leave. In 2010, the women of an isolated religious community grapple with reconciling a brutal reality with their faith.

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork. The Disney Animation brand is like catnip for the Academy voters. Spider-Verse got lucky both Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 were polarizing. Turning Red is universally loved, so it'll unfortunately get the automatic win. It is what it is.

Neither movie was polarizing? Spider-Verse just kind of came out at the perfect time and was kind of undeniable. (Plus maybe some of the voters thought it was a Disney thing because it had Spider-Man lol)

33 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

but when was the last time the two highest grossing movies of the year both got in for best picture? doubt it'll help their ratings much but you can't say they didn't try this time.

Nah, if they wanted ratings, they'd have nominated Cruise and Cameron...now, there's still no incentive to watch b/c those stars are not gonna be big in the ceremony and you know their best pic nominations were just to get you to watch (and they won't win)...

For me the most interesting race is now Best Actor which is likely Butler vs. Farrell since The Whale missed Picture. I think whoever wins SAG wins the Oscar. Next year's Actor race already feels like a foregone conclusion since the first images of BCoop in Maestro are serving DDL in Lincoln "congrats a year in advance" vibes.