BadOlCatSylvester

Weekdays Thread (23rd to 26th of January 2023)

- (2) A Man Called Otto Sony Pictures $830,000 -47% -32% 3,802 $218 $38,400,277 27
- (4) Missing Sony Pictures $545,000 -45%   3,025 $180 $11,321,391 6
- (7) House Party Warner Bros. $125,000 -30% -40% 1,400 $89 $7,533,504 13
- (-) Whitney Houston I Wanna D… Sony Pictures $40,000 -43% -61% 1,308 $31 $23,160,045 34

28 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

i still don't get why cameron said yes to re-releasing titanic in 3d while a2 is in theatres, should have waited until a later dead spot in the year like maybe september, instead he's just cannibalizing himself

Valentine's Day weekend was arguably TITANIC's most impressive weekend. It grossed $32.9m ($66m adj) in its 9th weekend.

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

yes but is a 3d release of titanic that comes out same time as magic mike gonna really get some valentines benefit that would make it considerably more than say a september release and is it worth taking away your own 3d screens from your latest movie?

Do you really think Cameron cares about that stuff this much? This movie has already made more than $2 billion. Everybody who wanted to see the movie in 3D has likely already seen it in 3D. Probably several times in fact. And I'm sure it'll still play in front of some 3D screens anyways. I know Cameron's an egotist and greedy, but I doubt he's crying himself to sleep over losing 3D screens to a movie where he's already made gobs of money from.

Besides, even if Way of Water follows the same trajectory the first movie did at the same point in time (which it won't, because its legs aren't as strong as Avatar's), it would be at around 13.5M or so. And it's not gonna be anywhere close to that, especially with no President's Day that weekend. It's extremely unlikely it'll be at double digits that weekend. So is Cameron really losing that much money because of that pesky boat movie? No. So this ain't a big deal.

• Like 2

i still don't get why cameron said yes to re-releasing titanic in 3d while a2 is in theatres, should have waited until a later dead spot in the year like maybe september, instead he's just cannibalizing himself

Are Avatar 2 and Titanic sharing IMAX hall? If so, the impact should be manageable since even Avatar's IMAX gross is winding down too. 

You strike while the iron is hot and people are thinking about your properties.  Seems reasonable enough to me.

I know Titanic is being promoted as a Valentine's release, but IMO its as much Super Bowl weekend counter-programming, in a basically empty spot in the calendar. Going earlier would have been cannibalizing Avatwo, so dropping a week before AMWQ was going to suck up all those PLF screens anyway doesn't really do much harm

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

@M37 what do you make of A2's drops so far in weekdays this week ? They look much better than drops we saw in weekdays of previous weeks. Do you think this could be sign of softer drops going forward or just due to some Oscar buzz bump ?

My big picture impression (for everything): MLK weekend was inflated by more free time & lack of competition, last week was a bit of a correction, and now titles are settling into the grove they’ll most follow for a few weeks until Ant-Man. Expecting good (better than last weekend) holds across the board for next 2-3 weeks, adjusting for outside factors like NFL and competition like Cabin knocking down M3G and Titanic & Avatar - so pretty boring and predictable 🥱 

Don’t think a Best Pic and few effects noms are going to move needle much at this point in the run 

• Like 3

A2 won another weekday battle and it's clearly heading to finish ahead of JW. Nearly identical Wednesday, but obviously JW had summer weekdays and will see much lower weeeknd.

JURAWATER SHOWDOWN  - AVATAR 2 VS JURASSIC WORLD

DAY 40: (WEDNESDAY) AVATAR 1.4m

DAY 40: (WEDNESDAY) JURASSIC WORLD 1.31m

WATER TEMP: HOT (+0.09m)

CUME: AVATAR 603.39m  VS  JW 615.64m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 12.25m

WATER FLOW: 667m

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

very strange to call Jim out for this, he's a saint compared to the rest of the movie industry honestly.

Dunno about saint but in interviews he usually comes off as the opposite of an egotist, pointing out the team aspect of moviemaking. As for greedy, again, can't think of anything that would point towards him deviating from the norm. What CAN be said is that he used to be a little hot tempered on sets.