kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

We’re still waiting on Disney/Marvel’s official numbers Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Rival estimates are still looking at the worst drop for an MCU title at -69.6% with $32.2M after an estimated $14.6M Saturday, +76%, for a running total of $167.2M in first place.

So they estimated just barely below 70%? I wonder what kind of Sunday drop we are looking at.

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

These are really good numbers for COCAINE BEAR and JESUS REVOLUTION. 2023 is rebounding very well, imo.

My box office game is screwed, though. 😂

Nice variety in what has been doing well too. Fingers crossed that March is able to keep up the trend.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Los Angeles was the top market for Cocaine Bear, +7.6% over its 52-week norm, evidence that bad weather to keep people at home. Other top markets included NYC, Chicago (+10% over 52 week norm), Dallas, San Francisco, DC, Philly, Atlanta, Boston (+10% over 52 week norm) and Phoenix. Detroit overperformed with Cocaine Bear by 25%.

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Los Angeles was the top market for Cocaine Bear, +7.6% over its 52-week norm, evidence that bad weather to keep people at home. Other top markets included NYC, Chicago (+10% over 52 week norm), Dallas, San Francisco, DC, Philly, Atlanta, Boston (+10% over 52 week norm) and Phoenix. Detroit overperformed with Cocaine Bear by 25%.

White powder from the skies and in cinemas in LA this weekend! 

• Haha 1

I'm really curious if more studios start standing up to Marvel and start dating some of their tentpoles directly against them. Marvel's definitely not the invincible behemoth they were last decade. Dune 2, which is currently set for the weekend before The Marvels, might honestly do perfectly fine staying there, as I don't think the post-Endgame MCU will do all that much damage to competing movies in its immediate vicinities.

On a more pleasant note, fantastic opening for Cocaine Bear. Between it and Megan, meme movies are proving to be a promising trend. I bet Warner probably wishes they could've made Detective Pikachu today, because the TikTok generation might honestly have been able to prop it up to the infamous billion dollar mark most fans back in 2018/2019 were fantasizing about. Hopefully said studio are taking notes for their own Barbie meme movie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Los Angeles was the top market for Cocaine Bear, +7.6% over its 52-week norm, evidence that bad weather to keep people at home.

… what? Missing some words here Anthony 

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Other top markets included NYC, Chicago (+10% over 52 week norm), Dallas, San Francisco, DC, Philly, Atlanta, Boston (+10% over 52 week norm) and Phoenix. Detroit overperformed with Cocaine Bear by 25%

Big markets overpreforming is to me evidence that this was an internet/social media driven OW surge, and coupled with not so great WOM, expecting it to crash pretty quickly, $50M at best

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

We’re still waiting on Disney/Marvel’s official numbers Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Rival estimates are still looking at the worst drop for an MCU title at -69.6% with $32.2M after an estimated $14.6M Saturday, +76%, for a running total of $167.2M in first place.

if the estimates are 32.2 then I think theres a pretty good chance actuals get it the 600k it need to surpass bvs's drop

From Deadline Hollywood

How will Marvel post-mortem this? Aren’t they already “plus-ing” with every movie they make?

One insider close to the film isn’t worried, telling us, “Marvel takes something away from movie including Black Panther, including Avengers. I can say we’re incredibly proud of the film, Jonathan Majors does a fantastic job as Kang. It’s the movie we wanted to make. Box office is what it is, but it’s not going to stop people from going back to the theaters.