kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

hmm, no tweets about how we're all morons this week then?

sorry, I overslept

/s (just in case)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Huge but expected drop for Ant-Man. A plunge around 70% kinda felt inevitable considering that the most recent Doctor Strange and Thor sequels dropped nearly as much in their second weekends on at least a slightly better reception. I feel like its drops the next few weekends will be more indicative of where the word-of-mouth/reception/long-term implications for the MCU lie.

The openings for Cocaine Bear and Jesus Revolution are stellar. Both are definitely niche properties, so to see them performing well in this box office landscape feels like a good sign for people coming out to the movies for something other than an established franchise entry.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can't help but feel like audiences getting a taste of high caliber cinema like Top Gun 2, Avatar 2 and Everything Everywhere All at Once is contributing to Quantumania's insane beating and humiliation. Especially towards the end of the last decade superhero movies were carrying exhibition on its back. Now, the competition is arguably outdoing Marvel, and the MCU's style might not cut it for the average Joe anymore. Food for thought.

EEAAO wasn't exactly a box office juggernaut (not exactly GA friendly), TGM was a WOM monster, and Avatar is Avatar. Not sure why those are being compared to an Antman film. 

Edited by TheFlatLannister

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can't help but feel like audiences getting a taste of high caliber cinema like Top Gun 2, Avatar 2 and Everything Everywhere All at Once is contributing to Quantumania's insane beating and humiliation. Especially towards the end of the last decade superhero movies were carrying exhibition on its back. Now, the competition is arguably outdoing Marvel, and the MCU's style might not cut it for the average Joe anymore. Food for thought.

also a lot of the MCU audience is getting older yet many of these films are keeping this same childish tone 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Really swell weekend. I'm quite pleased.

BOP has fairly conservative estimates for March, especially Scream and John Wick. I have everything except for Shazam higher than the high end. Am I actually being too optimistic for the first time in 15 years of posting?

What's really fun about this March is that all the big heavy hitters, the films that seem set to open to 40M or higher, are all midbudget, sub-100M featues (I'm assuming Wick 4 will be that, though I guess it could get above 100M. Having those be hits, along with Shazam and D&D likely sinking, it's just a nice reaffirmation to execs about the importance of small-ish movies like these and how they can develop big franchises.

• Like 1

I have to say that Marvel have had some run churning out multiple movies every year off their factory production line since 2008, and its only now 15 years later that its starting to look like superhero fatigue is kicking in with the GA.

Even then, their films are probably still going to be making big groses for years to come.

I personaly thought fatigue would of kicked ina few years ago already. Marvel have done well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I have to say that Marvel have had some run churning out multiple movies every year off their factory production line since 2008, and its only now 15 years later that its starting to look like superhero fatigue is kicking in with the GA.

Even then, their films are probably still going to be making big groses for years to come.

I personaly thought fatigue would of kicked ina few years ago already. Marvel have done well.

As soon as they lost Iron Man and Captain America after Endgame's massive peak, the only way was down from there.

I wonder if Marvel's business model and strategy of staying as a main interest was annihilated by Covid. Think about it, people had been getting 4 movies a year or whatever for over half a decade. Then boom, everyone goes cold turkey for 18 months or whatever.

A lot of people just lost interest of that?

but yeah, the repetitive formula being overplayed for too long alongside of the loss of the main characters and also some mediocre movies was the killer

• Like 1

Puss in Boots has definitely cemented something for me. Dreamworks and Illumination have definitely been showing the last couple years that Disney has no excuse for how garbage they've been doing lately. It's not just "COVID" or something like that. Sure maybe that has effected how high some of these movies can go, but Pixar and Disney Animation have CERTAINLY been self-sabotaged at this point. Encanto was huge, yet failed because they decided to rush it to Disney+. Pixar has essentially become an irrelevant brand because they do zero marketing for it and shove all their movies to streaming with no theatrical release.

Edited by Killimano3
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

I mean...these movies have always been aimed at kids. Not their fault.

The MCU brand is too big to generalize it and say "its made for kids" 

I have a hard time seeing how Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Thanos, Scarlet Witch were aimed at kids. Sure, they have kid friendly films, but not everything was strictly made for children. 

26 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I have a hard time seeing how Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Thanos, Scarlet Witch were aimed at kids. Sure, they have kid friendly films, but not everything was strictly made for children. 

Just because some movies have “horror elements” or are a little bit serious, doesn’t suddenly make them not for kids. 

36 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

As soon as they lost Iron Man and Captain America after Endgame's massive peak, the only way was down from there.

I wonder if Marvel's business model and strategy of staying as a main interest was annihilated by Covid. Think about it, people had been getting 4 movies a year or whatever for over half a decade. Then boom, everyone goes cold turkey for 18 months or whatever.

A lot of people just lost interest of that?

but yeah, the repetitive formula being overplayed for too long alongside of the loss of the main characters and also some mediocre movies was the killer

Didn't Doctor Who literally open to $450 mil ? Probably should've legged out to like $1.2 billion or something, if the quality was even decent. To me, It just seems like they're creatively bankrupt.