GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

That wasn't my point heh. It's just funny to me that Hollywood spent $150M on such an unproven IP cinematically (besides the aforementioned failed piece of schlock) that is largely considered a punchline for nerds in general. I'm mostly just sad as a Chris Pine stan that this is looking to be yet another bomb for him lol.

If you think D&D is considered a punchline for nerds still, you have missed how more it has entered public consciousness over the past 7-8 years. Sure it's still got plenty of hill to climb, but it's not considered some niche super-nerd property and has not been for a little while

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Disney+ is what's killing the legs on Marvel.  Five years ago Quantumania would have made 250m-260m, but now people can just wait two months and catch it on streaming if they hear a movie's not great.

this is the excuse used but I think it is overstated. People like to go to the movies. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Disney+ is what's killing the legs on Marvel.  Five years ago Quantumania would have made 250m-260m, but now people can just wait two months and catch it on streaming if they hear a movie's not great.

They deserve it. Those films are artistically irrelevant, they look like they were made for streaming not IMAX.

• Like 3

Ant-Mans run so far is pathetic. This is more than just a warning sign for Marvel, this should be seen as a clear signal that audiences will probably no longer show up for an MCU movie no matter what.

Though i agree with others, its kind of unreal to see a MCU movie crash and burn like this. For years and years people always said that Marvel will one day crumble down just like other franchises have, only for them to post even bigger and bigger numbers with Endgame as the peak.

But ive said it when Endgame released and i still believe it: Endgame truly was the peak. I personally dont believe that any Marvel film ever will come close to Endgames hype and gross again. It was always going to be downhill from there.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Ant-Mans run so far is pathetic. This is more than just a warning sign for Marvel, this should be seen as a clear signal that audiences will probably no longer show up for an MCU movie no matter what.

Though i agree with others, its kind of unreal to see a MCU movie crash and burn like this. For years and years people always said that Marvel will one day crumble down just like other franchises have, only for them to post even bigger and bigger numbers with Endgame as the peak.

But ive said it when Endgame released and i still believe it: Endgame truly was the peak. I personally dont believe that any Marvel film ever will come close to Endgames hype and gross again. It was always going to be downhill from there.

Agreed and NWH has been the peak of the Multiverse building on 20 years of Spider-men.

Maybe Secret Wars will cross $2B if it will bring back RDJ, Evans, Jackman, Maguire, McKellen etc etc but a cameo feast won’t be enough to reach Endgame because that movie was build upon really solid storylines.

Let’s also not forget that Endgame hit that heights mainly thanks to crazy $600M in China and those kind of figures are completely off table in the future (except for Avatar).

• Like 2

Looking at the weekend as a whole, weekend gross was $115M, compared to $165M last year. That was obviously The Batman weekend last year, so, it was obviously going to be lower, but, it ended up being closer than it could have been.

With the strong slate the rest of the month, it should have no problem outdoing last month. Maybe not to the point of the last couple of months of 30% month over month, but, I think it can still do a decent chunk.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I remember when AOU came out. Apparently back then Avengers 1 was the peak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

considering china's growth and the fact that a divisive iron man 3 made 80% of its gross I dont see why people would think avengers 1 was the peak

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Different times. The main problem for future Avengers are two: 1 Those films won’t be built upon such strong foundations because phase 4 sucked and phase 5 already looks like trash with Quantumania, The Marvels and an Anthony Mackie leaded Captain America. 2. They won’t be released in China because of Shang Chi so to top $2.8B is basically out of reach. If you cut out China Endgame would fall behind The Way of Water.

1 hour ago, B D Joe said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but Quantumania would have made 240/250M if it had the same legs as other pandemic/post-pandemic MCU films with the worst "day 1-7" legs. 

I don't think there's a large audience of "I'll catch AM3 in 2 months" folks versus "I don't inherently love Ant-Man and this doesn't seem worth my time" ppl. If you average AM1's posttrak and cinemascore, you get an A- CS equivalent, paired with a weak box office relative to peers, you get the same for AM2 (despite critical praise at the time) and AM3 is performing poorly.

Why isn't this a "wrath of the titans" style scenario where a sequel fails due to poor reception + the lack of the halo protecting previous films? 

1 hour ago, Eric Creed said:

Huh. Didn't even realize that.

Sony should have saved Devotion until April-May. It would easily do 50M+ now on the DOM side and have a much more robust release OS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

i mean nothing against Jonathan Majors of course but these movies aren’t making money because of him 

I don't think anybody's suggesting or implying that. I just wanted to share a cool data piece.