YM!

Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken | June 30th, 2023 | Kirk DeMicco (Vivo, Space Chimps) directs | Luca meets Aquaman

5 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Eh, quality-wise, I’m trying to remain optimistic.

But, BO wise, not sure what they were thinking…

My guess is they were thinking that this looked like a guaranteed dud that they could afford to take a loss on.

Just now, ZeroHour said:

It seems like the idea here was to hope TLM hype would make the "mermaid's are actually bad" twist seem more interesting than it actually is. Not too surprising if this doesn't gain any traction.

We’ll see if that holds up after the Annecy premier.

2 hours ago, JWR said:

My guess is they were thinking that this looked like a guaranteed dud that they could afford to take a loss on.

I think they knew they had a flop on their hands, and decided not to add to the red ink by throwing more money in an doomed attempt to save it.

And since it did not have ahuge budget, it did not have that "we have to try to save it" angle foing for it.

A few years ago, Uni spent voer 100 Million in a last minute campaing to save "Battleship" and failed. Since then, they have been really cautious about spending money to try to save weak films.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

It seems like the idea here was to hope TLM hype would make the "mermaid's are actually bad" twist seem more interesting than it actually is. Not too surprising if this doesn't gain any traction.

Yeah, the Mermaids are Really Evil bit is not nearly as clever as the writers thought it was.

20 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

They either really loved or really hated The Lure...

I know, It is not even that original.

The idea of Mermaids being evil seductresses who lure sailors to their doom is an old,old, piece of folklore ; several Englsih songs and stories about that.

I know this movie is looking to bomb but I hope it's just solid fun movie. I'm probably in the minority but thought the trailers made it look interesting at least. Between the trailers of Elemental vs. Ruby Gillman, Ruby Gillman had me more hooked. I do think they gave too much away in the trailers but maybe there is some surprise in the plot that wasn't shown.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Austin said:

I know this movie is looking to bomb but I hope it's just solid fun movie. I'm probably in the minority but thought the trailers made it look interesting at least. Between the trailers of Elemental vs. Ruby Gillman, Ruby Gillman had me more hooked. I do think they gave too much away in the trailers but maybe there is some surprise in the plot that wasn't shown.

Personally speaking, the human models look cheap and even ugly (sans the villian) but everthying related to the underwater stuff looks cool.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Personally speaking, the human models look cheap and even ugly (sans the villian) but everthying related to the underwater stuff looks cool.

Yeah some of the character designs were definitely a choice lol.

Want to know why I think Universal is pretty much dumping this film?

I have a theory that the American studios that greenlight animated family films tend to avoid okaying those with high school teenagers as the lead, fearing it would alienate the 5 to 12-year-old demographic. That's pretty ironic, considering there are far more of these films with fully-grown adults at the center which have been pretty successful.

Just to be clear: I'm not one of those "animation's just for kids" people, I'm speaking strictly from a studio perspective: especially with how costly and time-consuming these productions get.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Yeah, I don’t know what they were thinking dumping this now.

I guess I’m glad it’s getting decent reviews though, I was wondering how it would turn out when looking back on how phenomenal last year was for DW.

They knew that they had a dud on their hands and just cut their losses.

31 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I just realized I haven't seen a single new TV spot for this in the past 2 weeks. I forgot it existed.

Did anyone see this trailer in front of Elemental?

I saw elemental opening day and this was one of the trailers that we saw.