YM!

Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken | June 30th, 2023 | Kirk DeMicco (Vivo, Space Chimps) directs | Luca meets Aquaman

On 6/29/2023 at 5:16 AM, JWR said:

They knew that they had a dud on their hands and just cut their losses.

THIS.

Why throw more good money away on a film you sure will fail?

Not surprised Uni has already annunced this will be streaming in about two and half weeks.

I wonder if this another film that only got a threarical realse because of contractual obligations.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:04 AM, Morieris said:

I just realized I haven't seen a single new TV spot for this in the past 2 weeks. I forgot it existed.

Did anyone see this trailer in front of Elemental?

you have to pay money for TV time, you don't for theater trailers. And Uni is not spending a dime more on this then they have to.

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

How on Earth did this only gross 5 million opening weekend?!

- Little to marketing

- Trailers looked uninteresting 

- Families had more appealing options (Elemental, Spider-Verse, etc)

Edited by JWR

7 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Ruby Gillman bombing this hard does not bode well for Migration. 

Migration will at least have holiday legs. Though this will be an interesting test to see how an original Illumination film does in a post covid world.

I believe this goes VOD this week, and it recently passed $30 Million at the box office...

I don’t know what Dreamworks/Universal was thinking releasing this during a busy time for other movies; and the marketing was bad on top of that.

I believe if they had pushed this to late August or sometime in September, and marketed it more, it could’ve done better. Even with the same reviews.

Whoever was in charge of these two categories has no one but themselves to blame for its flop.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 8:51 PM, WebSurfer said:

I believe this goes VOD this week, and it recently passed $30 Million at the box office...

I don’t know what Dreamworks/Universal was thinking releasing this during a busy time for other movies; and the marketing was bad on top of that.

I believe if they had pushed this to late August or sometime in September, and marketed it more, it could’ve done better. Even with the same reviews.

Whoever was in charge of these two categories has no one but themselves to blame for its flop.

Or maybe they just wrote it off, and decided not to waste a more valuable release date on it.