Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I just can't see how that is a good opening for Dungeons and Dragons. It cost 151m. They spent too much on it. 

It is important to take into account that Paramount only paid for half the budget. The other half came from a company owned through Hasbro.

It's also important to take into account that this was filmed April-August 2021, in the height of COVID precautions for filming which meant that COVID protocols inflated the budget a bit most likely.

So the 151m number should be taken in context

Edited by 4815162342 is Francis
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

If Dustin Hoffman has one more $100m grosser (Megalopolis? another Kung Fu Panda?) he'll have had them every decade going back to the '60s and The Graduate.

Kung Fu Panda 4 is coming out next year. But I feel like Dreamworks probably replaced Hoffman with a soundalike because of his sexual misconduct. Which like…I would very much prefer if that happened

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

Agreed. Shazam is a massive flop with a $30M opening out of a $125M budget but on the other hand D&D is okay with such numbers..? 

Tbf, DnD should have much better legs than Shazam, which is having dismal holds everywhere

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

D&D estimating a 20% Sunday drop when everything else is expecting 35% except the Jesus movies. Actuals might come in 1-2M lower.

Much higher opening than expected but clearly showing that D&D is like Trek - there's a segment which will not go watch a D&D movie because of the nerd association of the franchise, no OS pull, and Chris Pine in lead.

Yeah I was gonna say, it feels like Chris Pine is cursed with the 2 franchises he leads doing fine domestically but having no pull internationally, causing a 50/50 split that really hurts their overall gross

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 is Francis said:

It is important to take into account that Paramount only paid for half the budget. The other half came from a company owned through Hasbro.

It's also important to take into account that this was filmed April-August 2021, in the height of COVID precautions for filming which meant that COVID protocols inflated the budget a bit most likely.

So the 151m number should be taken in context

Yeah the movie should boost toy sales and game sales and ancillary stuff that Hasbro was probably looking most for that should make them happy. 

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

D&D estimating a 20% Sunday drop when everything else is expecting 35% except the Jesus movies. Actuals might come in 1-2M lower.

Much higher opening than expected but clearly showing that D&D is like Trek - there's a segment which will not go watch a D&D movie because of the nerd association of the franchise, no OS pull, and Chris Pine in lead.

24% and I am not seeing crazy over estimation or anything. Its holding very well. Its a WOM movie for sure. 

I think D&D  has better long term potential than a sci-fi trek. As I posted yesterday Hasbro is playing a long game on it. If they invested this money just to make a successful movie, it would be absolutely terrible. They are instead focusing on taking D&D digital and more mainstream with young crowd. Whether they succeed or not only time will tell. But this is the right start as movie is very well received. Let us see how their games do. This could be a great platform for Metaverse for sure. 

Tbh, I am quite disappointed by DnD's failure to $40m especially that $4.1m preview. That IM from preview doesn't look like any special WOM sensation despite 93% verified audience score. But somehow it is hard blame Paramount since that $150m is a reasonable spending after seeing the casting choice and production and Paramount did try to push the good product they know they have in their hand. Sadly, the audience base just isn't big enough. 

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Tbh, I am quite disappointed by DnD's failure to $40m especially that $4.1m preview. That IM from preview doesn't look like any special WOM sensation despite 93% verified audience score. But somehow it is hard blame Paramount since that $150m is a reasonable spending after seeing the casting choice and production and Paramount did try to push the good product they know they have in their hand. Sadly, the audience base just isn't big enough. 

it definitely did not do 4.1m from just thursday. As Charlie posted, that is most likely including wednesday. We have so much data that we can extrapolate easily. This weekend internal multi is rock solid. Absolutely nothing wrong. Unlike Shabomb this will hold better over coming weeks despite Mario. 

47 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

Kung Fu Panda 4 is coming out next year. But I feel like Dreamworks probably replaced Hoffman with a soundalike because of his sexual misconduct. Which like…I would very much prefer if that happened

I feel like Hoffman's case was one of the ones that flew under the radar for the most part and no one actually cares about. Especially not for a voice over role.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:26 PM, Wrath said:

Yeah, I was looking at Hasbro's financials not that long ago and was shocked at how big a chunk of it was Wizards of the Coast. Which is more Magic than D&D, but even so, Hasbro is *dying* to grow and better monetize D&D. But the movie needs to either break out to GA or get good enough word of mouth that there's a sequel and *it* breaks out to justify part of the budget as marketing.

Kind of makes me wonder, why D&D go the film treatment and not Magic: The Gathering.

Edited by Jonwo

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Kind of makes me wonder, why D&D go the film treatment and not Magic: The Gathering.

Never played, so somebody can explain to this me, isn't Magic just a card game with no characters or lore? DnD is all about using your imagination and creating stories. Can't imagine you can do much from a movie off a card.

5 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

Never played, so somebody can explain to this me, isn't Magic just a card game with no characters or lore? DnD is all about using your imagination and creating stories. Can't imagine you can do much from a movie off a card.

I'm also guessing that they were banking on the familiarity of the brand through Stranger Things.

I'm wondering if things would have seen a spike in interest if it aligned well to a season of the show.