Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

anyone think a Halo movie likely could have been a decent hit? 

If done well, sure. But I’m talking like maybe 300 mil DOM, 500 WW if everything went perfect. Never would stand a fraction of the success potential of something like Mario. Especially not OS.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about Super Mario being bigger than Pokemon. Just Pokemon Go probably has about as many unique installs as all Mario sales combined and probably generated more revenue than any Mario game as well.

• Disbelief 2

9 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Mario also has a 10-15 year head start, but don’t let me stop you. Pokémon is equally bigger if not more so that Mario imo. 

I think Mario appeals to casuals way more than Pokemon.

You're either into Pokemon or your not.

• Like 5

Mario is more multi generational than Pokémon bc of the Gen X of it all. As for which is overall bigger? Again, maybe still Mario since it has that extra gen. Pokémon is close on its heels though in terms of “the most popular game franchise ever” at the very least. GO did manage to get some Xers on board as well. 

If GameFreak had gotten their shit together and released a modern take on Pokémon that actually works and functions on the Switch with Violet/Scarlet, it would likely have rivaled MK8 or maybe even beaten it. Pokémon is certainly in the position (or was at least) to really overtake Mario in gaming, but GameFreak/Nintendo insist on an annual release schedule when GF isn’t even a good enough developer to handle a new Pokémon every two years, let alone every year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think Mario appeals to casuals way more than Pokemon.

You're either into Pokemon or your not.

I would say Pokémon is bolstered by having a 20 year long television show.

Probably a decent size of people who know Pokémon don't play or know it has games

7 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

I would say Pokémon is bolstered by having a 20 year long television show.

Probably a decent size of people who know Pokémon don't play or know it has games

I strongly disagree with this. People underestimate the reach of games in general and Pikemon is known first and foremost as a gaming IP.

23 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about Super Mario being bigger than Pokemon. Just Pokemon Go probably has about as many unique installs as all Mario sales combined and probably generated more revenue than any Mario game as well.

Pokemon Go has been downloaded a billion times which is true but Mario has apps that are among the most downloaded of all time as well. Mario Run was downloaded 500m times, but made far less revenue due to an awful model. It really could have been way bigger if it was more competently made.

I think the moral of the story here is that these are arguably the two biggest IPs on the world and the sky is the limit.

Edited by DisposedData

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

An R rated GTA could absolutely do that, no other AAA game comes close to the sales of GTAV

GTA's appeal is acting out criminal activities. I don't see the same appeal for watching a recycled gangster mobie. Unless you go the Free Guy route. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Although… the ultimate dream would be Miyazaki does an animated Wind Waker adaptation. But I can’t imagine he will make another movie after this one at his age. 

While that would win a few Oscars you're leaving money at the table by going the studio ghibli route.