Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

If the trailer buzz was so obvious then why did only three people join my club before tracking?

Hardly anyone thought 500m domestic was even possible.

Let's not play the revisionism game when I have reciepts.

You posted it before the trailer even came out dude. Of course no one was going to be in just on the idea of a Mario movie after the 90s one and Detective Pikachu before it.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

If the trailer buzz was so obvious then why did only three people join my club before tracking?

Hardly anyone thought 500m domestic was even possible.

Let's not play the revisionism game when I have reciepts.

I’m terrible about checking clubs or I woulda been all in since trailer 1 fwiw. I thought 600 was possible, though not sure if I ever said it here since I knew it would be scoffed at. I think at some point I did mention here I thought the all time animation WW record was possible. 

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If you literally did not see how I was being rhetorical and showing you how ridiculous your post was, I don't know what to say lol

It's a fair question when you're trying to imply cross over appeal and 4 quadrant status over and over.

Gen X grew up on Mario.  That's an entire generation drooling over this movie. That gets you to four quadrant status.

Just now, grey ghost said:

I did not.

Misremembered the trailer date, that's on me. Anyways I'm over this. This has gone on for pages upon pages, especially when my initial point was that to say Pokemon was 'more nerdy' was ridiculous when there's tons of evidence against that.

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Misremembered the trailer date, that's on me. Anyways I'm over this. This has gone on for pages upon pages, especially when my initial point was that to say Pokemon was 'more nerdy' was ridiculous when there's tons of evidence against that.

Fair enough. 

For the love of God the main reason DP did not do as well as people expected is cause it came out at one of the worst times of the year and everyone was still focusing solely on Endgame and did not foresee it still in it's second weekend being a monster. Endgame still had all the best screens, Pikachu was forced to play second fiddle and that wasn't even counting what was coming the following week and then the 18th of May.

Pikachu was dealt a bad hand by WB.

Edited by Cappoedameron

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

For the love of God the main reason DP did not do as well as people expected is cause it came out at one of the worst times of the year and everyone was still focusing solely on Endgame and did not foresee it still in it's second weekend being a monster Endgame still had all the best screens, Pikachu was forced to play second fiddle and that wasn't even counting what was coming the following week and then the 18th of May.

Pikachu was dealt a bad hand by WB.

Eh, the release date wasn’t a big problem. The big problem was WB said “Hey Pokémon fans, haven’t you always dreamed of a movie where Pikachu talks and is actually Deadpool!?!?”

Like what in the actual hell convinced them that was the way to go? They are absurdly lucky the movie somehow ended up w as solid of a script as it did or it would have been a bomb for the ages. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh, the release date wasn’t a big problem. The big problem was WB said “Hey Pokémon fans, haven’t you always dreamed of a movie where Pikachu talks and is actually Deadpool!?!?”

Like what in the actual hell convinced them that was the way to go? They are absurdly lucky the movie somehow ended up w as solid of a script as it did or it would have been a bomb for the ages. 

How was the release date not a big problem. A week after Endgame came out which still was dominating all the big screens so Pikachu couldn't have them for its opening weekend. John Wick Chapter 3 overperforming, then Aladdin the following week coming takes all the big screens as Endgame finally starts to calm down.

It absolutely was the release date above all else.

Edited by Cappoedameron

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

WB had nothing to do with that plot though. The movie was pretty much done filming when WB even came onboard.

It was a Legendary production with Universal when it began development and filming and WB took over at around the same time as the filming completion. 

Even the release date was already set up at that time as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DisposedData said:

Pokemon Go has been downloaded a billion times which is true but Mario has apps that are among the most downloaded of all time as well. Mario Run was downloaded 500m times, but made far less revenue due to an awful model. It really could have been way bigger if it was more competently made.

I think the moral of the story here is that these are arguably the two biggest IPs on the world and the sky is the limit.

Yeah, I'm not saying Mario isn't huge, but Pokemon probably have had more unique players across all different games.

However, I don't necessarily think a Pokemon adaptation would ever become as big as this Mario film as I simply thinks Mario makes for a more appealing prospect as a movie. The same goes for a possible GTA film - despite GTA V pretty much being the single biggest game of all time I doubt that any GTA movie would make anything of notice.

Current Pokemon generations are not accessible and not really mainstream anymore. 

A "classic" Pokemon movie with Ash/Pikachu and the main story could do similar numbers to these. Pokemon fans might be harder to please so that's another big difference. 

Just my opnions but I didn't get the logic of detective Pikachu in the first place. It's totally  not the Pokémon kids saw 'back Iin he day' or had a gazillion cards of....likewise the joke of a  super mario movie in the 90s with Dennis hopper  Was that what fans were expecting?

Give the fans want they want not something 'different'

(P.s Dennis hopper is god)

Edited by screambaby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Small increase from Good Friday would be very good for this. 

If anyone had doubts about $200M 5-day now this has sealed the deal. Revenge of the Fallen is finally going down. Crazy to think it held the biggest 5-day Wednesday opening for almost 14 years. 

• Like 6